1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post Best Buy and the Evo 4g

Today I went to a Best Buy in a town next to mine looking for a job XD, but while that was the main purpose i also checked some things out concerning the Evo. Now i've seen in many other forums that best buy's employees are as discredited as they can get, but here is what i got from one of the best buy mobile salesperson and a Manager:

I asked if the extra $10 dollars fee would apply here where i live (Puerto Rico) because there is no sign of 4g coming here even before the world ends, heck even the 3g coverage is very limited. To that she (bb mobile person) answered that the fee will not be applicable here because there is no 4g coverage. Then i asked the same thing to the manager and he answered the same thing, both of them reassured me that they were right. If that really is the case then i suppose it should be the same for all of you North Americans that still don't have a 4g service.

Also, maybe it wasn't an important question to u guys but for me it was, the question was if the Evo would be locked to a specific plan (e.g. like the Instinct) or it would be open to family plans and the like, the answer was that at the moment they haven't received notification of it being locked to a plan, so they are assuming that its open for all plans, which i hope is right.

Obviously it remains to be seen whether this is true until the Evo is launched.

Lastly, I don't know if this was already done and over with but i thought i might share anyways.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry i didn't make myself clear, when i mentioned that it was open for all plans i was referring to everything data plan, which includes the family everything data plans etc. thus the samsung instinct reference. The first instinct was only available with a Simply Everything plan, no family plans, nothing.
    Last edited by mikie_s; 05-26-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Global Posts
    1,158 Global Posts
    ROM
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

Quote Originally Posted by mikie_s View Post
    Today I went to a Best Buy in town next to mine looking for a job XD, but while that was the main purpose i also checked some things out concerning the Evo. Now i've seen in many other forums that best buy's employees are as discredited as they can get, but here is what i got from one of the best buy mobile salesperson and a Manager:

I asked if the extra $10 dollars fee would apply here where i live (Puerto Rico) because there is no sign of 4g coming here even before the world ends, heck even the 3g coverage is very limited. To that she (bb mobile person) answered that the fee will not be applicable here because there is no 4g coverage. Then i asked the same thing to the manager and he answered the same thing, both of them reassured me that they were right. If that really is the case then i suppose it should be the same for all of you North Americans that still don't have a 4g service.

Also, maybe it wasn't an important question to u guys but for me it was, the question was if the Evo would be locked to a specific plan (e.g. like the Instinct) or it would be open to family plans and the like, the answer was that at the moment they haven't received notification of it being locked to a plan, so they are assuming that its open for all plans, which i hope is right.

Obviously it remains to be seen whether this is true until the Evo is launched.

Lastly, I don't know if this was already done and over with but i thought i might share anyways.
    As for here in North America the 10.00 data fee applies for everyone. The EVO requires a Everything Data Plan. Meaning the cheapest solo plan is 69.99+10.00 Data fee. 450 mins. Cheapest family plan is 129.99+10.00+10.00 Data Fee if both lines have the Evo. Includes 1500 mins.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Sorry i didn't make myself clear, when i mentioned that it was open for all plans i was referring to everything data plan, which includes the family everything data plans etc. thus the samsung instinct reference. The first instinct was only available with a Simply Everything plan, no family plans, nothing.

But wow i hope we don't end up having to pay that fee here in PR, its not that big of a deal but its kind of sad to give away 10 bucks a month

My city (Eugene, Oregon) will be getting 4G this summer but I did contact Sprint for those who ar questioning whether or not the $10 fee applies to those w/o 4G and this is my response:

The new HTC EVO, not only supports the next generation of our data
    network (4G) but also the equipment itself provides an incredible
    multimedia experience unlike any other cell phone out there from any
    carrier. As you understand, regardless if you are in a 3G or 4G, we
    required an additional $10.00 premium data pack. This is because we want
    our customer to be able to enjoy these data-rich capabilities which does
    require a more complex data plan. The data experience of EVO is to be
    enjoyed by all EVO customers, regardless of 3G or 4G networks. The
    catchy phrase Web Surfing was coined because web browsers found
    themselves coasting from one website to the next. With EVO, the data
    capabilities are so rich, customers may lose themselves in endless surf.
    EVO users will typically consume more data, and the Premium Data Fee
    assures they have the bandwidth to do it. Thank you allowing me the
    opportunity to clarify this plan. I am also excited to inform you that
    Sprint 4G is expected to be available to up to 120 million people across
    the US by the end of 2010. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to
    address your concerns. I am glad to hear you pre-ordered the HTC EVO. I
    am sure you will enjoy this phone!

Puerto Rico customers will be paying the $10 fee as well. It is not because of 4G coverage, it's simply because it is a media heavy device. The fee is not for 4G.

I am from Puerto Rico but never had Sprint there. I thought that Sprint had almost the entire island covered in 3G. Is that not correct? That's what their map shows.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Think of it this way: You're not paying $10 extra for 4G you're not getting; you're paying $10 extra for truly uncapped/unlimited 3G usage. (i.e. not capped to 5GB/mo.)

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    Think of it this way: You're not paying $10 extra for 4G you're not getting; you're paying $10 extra for truly uncapped/unlimited 3G usage. (i.e. not capped to 5GB/mo.)
    Its a 4g fee, Sprint just doesn't want to admit it. Congratulations on buying into the marketing nonsense hook, line, and sinker. I'm sure a Sprint marketing director is smiling somewhere because of your comments.

But wow i hope we don't end up having to pay that fee here in PR, its not that big of a deal but its kind of sad to give away 10 bucks a month
    Are you saying that the Instinct was limited to the $99 Simply Everything plan? That is "simply" not true. True, it could not be activated on any grandfathered plans, but it only required an Everything Data plan which would also include the Everything Data Share family plans.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

Quote Originally Posted by klimb22 View Post
    Are you saying that the Instinct was limited to the $99 Simply Everything plan? That is "simply" not true. True, it could not be activated on any grandfathered plans, but it only required an Everything Data plan which would also include the Everything Data Share family plans.
    What klimb22 said is correct, at least I had the everything data 450 for 69.99 a month with mine before I threw it out a window lol.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    What klimb22 said is correct, at least I had the everything data 450 for 69.99 a month with mine before I threw it out a window lol.
    Well i remember that the first instinct ever was locked to a simply everything plan when it was launched, at least that's the way it was here in PR.
    I could agree about the $10 fee being for an unlimited exorbitant cap of data and yes PR does have 3g coverage on most of the island, but most of the time its not fast enough. Whenever i want to watch a 2 minute youtube video i have to wait a lot, though when i get real 3g reception its another story.

Btw i currently own a Pre, so imagine how painful it would be to get the Evo and not being able to browse the web as it should be browsed and paying $10 at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by klimb22 View Post
    What was truly lame about that is the Instinct was a steaming pile of dog mess. I have one of the original instincts that I purchased on the day it was released and its had nothing but one bug after another. Its one of the reasons I have been so bitter about Sprint because they hyped it up to be something it wasn't and that was an iphone competitor. Why it could not be grandfathered in I don't know as its data use was limited by its constant problems, slow hardware, and a touch screen that in my case could not last a full year. I will never buy another Samsung phone because of the Instinct.

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter what BB, or any store, tells you since this is a Sprint fee.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Keep in mind that it doesn't matter what BB, or any store, tells you since this is a Sprint fee.
    True, that's why i say that it remains to be seen until the phone is launched and sprint does whatever they see fit