I clicked on recovery, then the cel restarts again and again

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Default Re: My HTC Evo 4G is stuck on a reboot infinite loop

Quote Originally Posted by RinoPL View Post
    I clicked on recovery, then the cel restarts again and again
    It should show the red triangle

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.

do not, never has shown since he started the problem

watch this video, that's all that the cellphone does. i can enter to FastBoot mode but only restarts when I enter recovery mode, not if I explain.

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Hmm... On HBOOT menu, can your give me the information? The words and numbers on the top of screen in HBOOT.

I was having some issues with my multimedia messages not downloading so I took my phone to the Sprint Store where they recommended to reset it through the settings, which they went ahead and did at the store. However after trying to turn on my phone this morning (I turn it off at night) I am stuck in the infinite boot loop. I go back in and of course they say I need a new phone. I have tried the the Recovery and end up at the red exclamation triangle, I hold down then up and nothing happens from there. The Fastboot doesn't really give me an option to do anything I think. It has 4 options: Bootloader, Reboot, Reboot Downloader and Power Down. I have all I need on my Sd card since I did that reset yesterday at the Sprint store so I can reset the hell out of the phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the specs at the top are the same as a previous poster

Locked oow
    Supersonic EVT3 Ship S-On
    Hboot-2.18.0001
    Microp-041f
    Touch panel ATMEL224_16ab
    Radio-2.15.00.12.19
    Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

I have not tried the file transfer/boot yet but I think that may be my next step? Thanks a bunch

So I had misread the info go to the red triangle hit up then power got E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command but then I got the option to wipe data/factory reset. I got a bunch of of E: can't open other stuff... in the process but it finished the wipe and it now works! Yay

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Elfiend1 View Post
    So I had misread the info go to the red triangle hit up then power got E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command but then I got the option to wipe data/factory reset. I got a bunch of of E: can't open other stuff... in the process but it finished the wipe and it now works! Yay
    Congrats.

Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Elfiend1 View Post
    I was having some issues with my multimedia messages not downloading so I took my phone to the Sprint Store where they recommended to reset it through the settings, which they went ahead and did at the store. However after trying to turn on my phone this morning (I turn it off at night) I am stuck in the infinite boot loop. I go back in and of course they say I need a new phone. I have tried the the Recovery and end up at the red exclamation triangle, I hold down then up and nothing happens from there. The Fastboot doesn't really give me an option to do anything I think. It has 4 options: Bootloader, Reboot, Reboot Downloader and Power Down. I have all I need on my Sd card since I did that reset yesterday at the Sprint store so I can reset the hell out of the phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the specs at the top are the same as a previous poster

Locked oow
    Supersonic EVT3 Ship S-On
    Hboot-2.18.0001
    Microp-041f
    Touch panel ATMEL224_16ab
    Radio-2.15.00.12.19
    Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

I have not tried the file transfer/boot yet but I think that may be my next step? Thanks a bunch
    You should have clear storage option, use it

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    You should have clear storage option, use it

I saw there was a clear storage option on the first menu but I did not check it out since I thought it would have to do more with the sd card. I am probably wrong since it probably would say sd something or other if it did. For future reference if this happens again or something would the clear storage be a better solution than the clear data/factory reset?

my hdc hd2 is in a mess when i turn it on the screen says boot menu with 12 options and i dont know what to do..!!! help please anyone..!!!

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_dollAri View Post
    my hdc hd2 is in a mess when i turn it on the screen says boot menu with 12 options and i dont know what to do..!!! help please anyone..!!!
    That's a Windows Phone with Sense UI, not an Android.

What did you do to the phone?

Hi! So my phone decided to do the looping thing today and it is really stressing me out because I NEED my phone to do my job. I've tried all these things and none of them have worked. It just starts the loop all over again. I really don't want to erase my contacts, but if it happens then it happens I guess. My fault for not backing them up. Anyways. I have some questions. What is fastboot? And what is clear storage? And what is Simlock? My phone doesn't have the stock recovery so nothing but errors come up when I try the UP+POWER at the red triangle. However every now and then it says "Reboot system now" (which doesn't work), "Apply update from sdcard" (haven't tried it), "wipe data/factory reset (will this reset my contacts? I can live w/o my apps, but my contacts? :/) and "Wipe cache partition". What do these mean and which would you suggest. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Maddiep007 View Post
    Hi! So my phone decided to do the looping thing today and it is really stressing me out because I NEED my phone to do my job. I've tried all these things and none of them have worked. It just starts the loop all over again. I really don't want to erase my contacts, but if it happens then it happens I guess. My fault for not backing them up. Anyways. I have some questions. What is fastboot? And what is clear storage? And what is Simlock? My phone doesn't have the stock recovery so nothing but errors come up when I try the UP+POWER at the red triangle. However every now and then it says "Reboot system now" (which doesn't work), "Apply update from sdcard" (haven't tried it), "wipe data/factory reset (will this reset my contacts? I can live w/o my apps, but my contacts? :/) and "Wipe cache partition". What do these mean and which would you suggest. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!
    If you saved your contacts under "Google", they can be erased and restored when you log back into your Google account. If you saved them under "Phone", say goodbye to your contacts.

Fastboot is a method of sending kernels, recoveries, and other data to your phone via your PC and the USB cord.

Clear storage will clear your...microSD card, if I remember correctly.

Simlock is a way to lock your phone's service when you boot up, I think. Never messed with it on my Vivid, because I need my SIM card.

Every HTC phone has a stock recovery, you just aren't doing the commands right. Press and hold down Volume Up AND THEN, press the Power button.

Reboot system now might say it failed, but it will reboot the phone if you're patient. It should say something like: "reason OEM-00".

Apply update from SD card is what it says: if you have an update for that phone, it would be called update.zip and it would be on your SD card. It will only work with the official Update.zip for that phone, so any custom ROM or scripts will more than likely not work.

Wipe Data/Factory Reset is exactly what it sounds like: It returns your phone back to the out-of-the-box moment. Everything is set back to stock, all apps and any other personal information is gone. Won't wipe your microSD card though.

Wipe cache partition. That means it will...how do I say this...I can't remember if it will wipe the Dalvik-cache or just the cache, but it reverts your settings back to stock on the phone.

One more tip: Turn on your phone. When you see "HTC EVO 4G", hold down the Volume Down button until your phone vibrates twice, it will vibrate a short one, and then a long one. After that, let go of the Volume Down button. See if you can boot up. If you can, you need to uninstall a bad app.

Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

The clear storage wipes the internal storage on the phone, As long as you dont Wipe Data/Factory Reset you wont lose anything.

Just try the "Volume Up + Power" combination IN THAT ORDER and see if you get the stock recovery.

This really worked! i was stuck on the reboot screen ALL MORNING. technical support cldnt even help after the factory reset..wen i did the recovery, i hit volume up+power and wiped out all cache and data and reboot the fone! It finally came on after hours of failing me!

Exclamation Re: My HTC Evo 4G is stuck on a reboot infinite loop

ive done all the troubleshooting came here did the hboot an its still looping, been looping for 2 hrs , ive pulled the battery out and put it back in an its starts looping on its own , I just got this phone 2/14/13 and its about to meet my brick wall and sprint is not helping , they said there will be a sevice charge an shipping charge even though its got insurance on it... did this twice then finally did a factory reset now its stuck on a white window with 3 androids on skate boards, wth what do this mean please someone heeelllllpppppp....
    Last edited by Mindy Osborne; 03-02-2013 at 12:39 AM.

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mindy Osborne View Post
    ive done all the troubleshooting came here did the hboot an its still looping, been looping for 2 hrs , ive pulled the battery out and put it back in an its starts looping on its own , I just got this phone 2/14/13 and its about to meet my brick wall and sprint is not helping , they said there will be a sevice charge an shipping charge even though its got insurance on it... did this twice then finally did a factory reset now its stuck on a white window with 3 androids on skate boards, wth what do this mean please someone heeelllllpppppp....
    On that screen where you see the 3 Androids skateboarding, that is called the HBOOT. At the top of the screen, there is some numbers and words, I need you to tell me those. Something like...

***LOCKED (OOW) ***
    HBOOT 2.xx.xx.xxxx

You get the idea. I need that info and I should be able to help you find the RUU you need.

I Tried This With My Phone And It Loops Into The Red Error Symbol .. I Pull Out The Battery And Reinster It And The Phone Reloops Into The Same Red Triangle ??? Im Stuck i Need Help And my Phone Back !!

I Am Still Stuck On The Loop ... i Know This Phone Is Old. It Was Working Fine In The Morning Untill i Tried To LAunch An App And It Turned Off And Started looping. I AHve Tried Several Of The Suggestions Above And None Have Worked So Far And I Cannot Find The Factory Reset Option Since I Do Not Mind All My Info. Erased i Just Want My Phone Back And Working Properly. Can Anyone Help Me !!!

ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

Yeah, when you get to the red triangle, hold the Volume Up button and then press and hold the Power button until the stock recovery appears.

Or, another option: Turn on your phone normally. When you see "HTC EVO 4G" appear, press and hold down the Volume Down button until the phone vibrates twice. You'll be in Safe Mode, and from there, you can uninstall that bad app.

HTC EVO 4G - BOOT LOOP

Upon battery approaching 0%, while on a phone call, phone shut down. Immediately inserted charger and tried to start phone.
    Phone went into a boot loop and is stuck unless battery is removed.

I am thinking that a ROM Update might do the trick, but I am fuzzy in some areas:
    1.) Is a ROM Update Non-Volatile? In other words, will my data both on the SD-Card and on the ROM, remain intact?
    2.) Can I do the update without rooting the phone?
    3.) Can I do the ROM update using the Update.zip method from the SD-Card?
    4.) What are the various PC36 DIAG & IMG files, and how do they play into not being able to turn on the phone
    5.) What about the message below, regarding: E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command ?
    6.) Do I need to use an RUU?
    7.) And most importantly, where do I get the most recent update (5.07.651.1 710RD) for my phone, which I suspect is Gingerbread 2.3.3 to copy onto the sd-card?

Model# PC36100

on the Inside of the phone, on Red Tape - SC-01 - 10/07/2012

UNROOTED, AND NEVER ROOTED

Booted into Android System Recovery (ASR) HBOOT
    Ran FastBoot
    Went into Recovery Mode
    Green Arrows stay on screen.

Upon pressing [Volume Up] and then [Power] , I get:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

ROM Details

*** Locked (OOW) ***
    SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-2.18.0001
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
    RADIO-2.15.00.01.15
    Dec 21, 2011, 12:50:32

SD Checking
    Loading PC36DIAG.ZIP
    No Image!

Loading PC36DIAG.NHH
    No Image or Wrong Image!

Loading PC36IMG.ZIP
    No Image!

Loading PC36IMG.NHH
    No Image or Wrong Image!

Brief answers to your questions:

1) A ROM update should not affect your data but you should perform a nandroid backup in case it is needed to restore your phone later.
    2) You do need to root and unlock the EVO bootloader before you can flash a new ROM. Guide to rooting phone with HBOOT 2.18.0001
    3) Yes, you will use a custom recovery to flash the ROM from a zip file containing the new ROM contents.
    4) PC36IMG.ZIP is a special file that installs a custom recovery on the EVO. I recommend Smelkusmod recovery Simply copy the downloaded PC36IMG_ra-supersonic-4.3-smelkus-mason.zip to the root folder of the EVO's sdcard and rename it PC36IMG.ZIP, then hold both the volume down and power buttons down to reboot your phone into recovery, and confirm the installation of Smelkusmod recovery when your phone detects the new recovery on the sdcard.
    5) We are updating your system recovery. You can ignore the old error message.
    6) An RUU is never used except to return your phone to a completely unrooted and never been rooted state in order to return or sell your phone.
    7) The most recent unrooted Sprint ROM is available at . Copy the downloaded file OTA_Supersonic_5.07.651.1-4.67.651.3_...zip to the sdcard and flash this or any other ROM from the zip file on the sdcard.

Read and carefully follow all directions and you will be able to flash and enjoy the ROM of your choice.
    Thanked by:

dubyasux:

Thanks so much for your very thorough answers. Just a few clarifications needed.

1.) I am more concerned with the data that is on the ROM, than is on the sdcard. I have texts and voicemail that I really need to recover before I do anything that might wipe out that data. That having been said, I thought a Flash was like wiping out the card and replacing it with the new data, while an update just affects the individual/specific files of the operating system. If I run an update do I change the name to update.zip or PC36IMG.zip

2.) How do I perform a nandroid backup without the phone functioning, or are you that sure that I will not lose the data?

3.) Once again, doing a root flash sounds like it will wipe out my data on the ROM. YES or No

4.) If I do the unrooted update, is it a flash or an update? Will I lose the data located on the ROM or not?

Follow the advice of thugdrummer in this post My HTC Evo 4G is stuck on a reboot infinite loop to see if you can get the phone to boot normally. If you have to perform a factory reset, you will lose all voice mail and text data. SMS Backup & Restore and Titanium Backup can be used to back up text messages and voice mail data but can only be used while the phone is working.

When you flash your phone, you rewrite the contents of a portion of the system read only memory (ROM) that contains the instructions to operate your phone. In order to flash your phone, you must first root the phone and install a custom recovery that is used to erase, backup, and rewrite the system ROM. The simplest way to install a custom recovery is to download a special recovery zip file, rename the file PC36IMG.zip, copy the file to the sdcard, simultaneously press and hold the volume down and power buttons to boot into recovery, and allow the phone to detect and install the new recovery. Generally, you install a custom recovery one time and use that recovery each time you flash the ROM.

As you say there is no point in performing a nandroid backup of a non working system since it would restore the system in the same state.

Flashing a new ROM does involve erasing all the data on the ROM, so you first need to back up the text and voice mail messages you need to keep. This applies to any ROM you may choose to flash -- they all overwrite the system ROM contents and you will lose data not stored on the sdcard.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast