My HTC Evo 4G is stuck on a reboot infinite loop

Erica.eastland

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I took out my battery earlier and switched with another evo user so she could take pictures as her battery was low. When I got my battery back and turned the phone back on, it is now stuck in an infinite loop, it will boot the white screen with 'HTC evo 4g' on it then the animated boot screen, but then started over. The only way to stop this is to take the battery out. Will not boot my home screen. When my husband got home I put my battery in his phone, it booted fine, but his battery in my phone I received the same result as with my battery, so I do not think it is the battery. Can any one tell me how to fix this problem. I have to get it fixed ASAP, because I am pregnant and past my due date, so I need to be able to get in touch with my husband.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
With the phone completely off after a battery pull hold down the volume down button and the power.button at the same ttime. This will boot you in what's called hboot and you should see the option for a factory reset. Use the volume up and down to navigate and power button to make.your selection. That's only thing I know to suggest. You will lose all your data not saved on your SD card but will hopefully have a working phone again. May I add make sure you power down your phone all the way before pulling the battery unless its completely frozen.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message Via HTC Evo 4g

Reactions: Chewywade

thugdrummer

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
!!! WAIT!!! DON'T RESET YET!!!

I occasionally have the same problem. It typically occurs on my phone after the battery has run out completely. I plug it in to charge and after a couple minutes power it on, and it goes into the same infinite boot loop.

I panicked the first time, because I didn't have everything backed up. I managed to stumble onto this solution, and it's worked for me every time (3 times so far).

Here's how I do it:

1) First, stop the looping by pulling the battery, and then reinserting it, WITHOUT powering it back on.
2) Make sure the phone has enough charge to run without being plugged in and then UNPLUG the phone. I've done this after charging for maybe 20 minutes.
3) Boot into the hboot menu (hold VOLUME DOWN then momentarily press POWER)
4) Use the volume buttons to highlight RECOVERY and hit the power button.

The phone vibrates, displays the white screen with HTC Evo 4g, then displays a black screen with a large green sync icon over a hard disk. (There's an image here: http://geekfor.me/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/radio_4.1.png)

After about a minute, the icon switches to a red error symbol (triangle with exclamation point) over a cellphone. (There's an image here: http://htcevohacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/htc-evo-recovery-mode-4.jpg)

5) At this point, pull the battery, reinsert it, and power it on normally (WITHOUT holding the volume button). The phone boots normally, and all the apps and data are there, just as they were before the loop started.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. Try an overnight charge and turn on the AM. If that doesn't work go back to Sprint and see if you can get a new battery. If that fails, the device will have to be replaced. Hopefully Sprint replaces at no charge if it comes down to it.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

alex2271

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
i was using my htc evo fine today, it was on 2.3 ota when i rooted it with revolution, it was half way flashed to boost, it already had the NV items and the Nam files, on the front said boost mobile, after i rooted i put a Speedy Shift rom, to make it have the internet pass through like the shift, so today i decided to finish flashing it to boost, after i put the nv and nam files again, i restated the phone, and from there it just keep doin a endless reboot, i could only go in the hboot, i tryed the pc36img, Amon ra, Ruu, and rerooting with revolution but it doesnt read the phone on fastboot, any help?
S- Off
HBoot - 6.16.1002
Radio - 2.15.00.0000

Jesse Hefley

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I've tried it 3 times in a row and it still gets stuck in that stupid boot cycle every time! You got any other ideas that could save me from having to do a full reset on this damn thing???

mattw28

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Your steps totally worked. I get stuck in the boot loop at least once a month, and I hate losing all my apps all the time. HTC said it was a sprint problem, sprint said it was an HTC problem. Wish I had just waited for the iPhone.....

SabrinaMichelle1981

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I have tried using the recovery option under the hboot menu, but it still is stuck. My Evo 4G is actually stuck in an infinite loop on the Sprint screen. Mine in flashed to Boost Mobile, so I have no idea how to fix the infinite loop without destroying my flash. Any help is appreciated.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Your steps totally worked. I get stuck in the boot loop at least once a month, and I hate losing all my apps all the time. HTC said it was a sprint problem, sprint said it was an HTC problem. Wish I had just waited for the iPhone.....

How dare you bring that unmentionable phone here! (iPhone) And also, for everyone out there with the stock recovery, once you see the red error triangle on top of the phone, hold down "volume up + power" and you'll get the stock recovery. :)

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have tried using the recovery option under the hboot menu, but it still is stuck. My Evo 4G is actually stuck in an infinite loop on the Sprint screen. Mine in flashed to Boost Mobile, so I have no idea how to fix the infinite loop without destroying my flash. Any help is appreciated.

All I can say to you would be that you would have to run the SuperSonic RUU and then just get it flashed again. :/

reunite1066

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please help...... I did the hboot recovery got the green arrows over the phone its been 15 min and I still have not gotten the red triangle yet, looks like it might be stuck on screen now!

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please help...... I did the hboot recovery got the green arrows over the phone its been 15 min and I still have not gotten the red triangle yet, looks like it might be stuck on screen now!

Just try the "Volume Up + Power" combination IN THAT ORDER and see if you get the stock recovery.

Gasweetz

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm stuck in the infinite loop as well. Previously used the Recovery method & it worked but this time have been stuck since yesterday. I'm not as phone savvy as a lot of you so I need some help because this is really frustrating. If I get the HBoot screen & select Clear Storage is that the same as a factory update (i.e. I will lose all of my pics & apps)? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am away working in a location where the nearest Sprint store is 28 miles away and I don't have access to a vehicle.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm stuck in the infinite loop as well. Previously used the Recovery method & it worked but this time have been stuck since yesterday. I'm not as phone savvy as a lot of you so I need some help because this is really frustrating. If I get the HBoot screen & select Clear Storage is that the same as a factory update (i.e. I will lose all of my pics & apps)? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am away working in a location where the nearest Sprint store is 28 miles away and I don't have access to a vehicle.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, there should have been an option to select FACTORY RESET, from what I know, CLEAR STORAGE does what it says: clears your phone's memory. It may attack the microSD/SDHC card in it too, so I would remove it, just to be on the safe side. I guess you could use it as a factory reset, but I would just go into the stock recovery and clear cache.

Melbeee

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry, but I am completely lost on all of this tech language :-[

I too am stuck in the infinite loop of frustration with an Evo 4G. The only help I seem to find online refers to the LTE (which I have no idea of the difference) I've found ways for the LTE to start up in Safe Mode, but I can't get that information for the 4G.

Can you all tell me the difference b/w "recovery" and "reset"? are they the same? What is fastboot?

I am hesitant on trying these methods before I know what they do. I'd like to try anything BUT deleting everything from the phone to get it to work.

Again, I'm sorry for my ignorance here. I really need the "for Dummy's" version :confused:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I too am stuck in the infinite loop of frustration with an Evo 4G. The only help I seem to find online refers to the LTE (which I have no idea of the difference) I've found ways for the LTE to start up in Safe Mode, but I can't get that information for the 4G.

Can you all tell me the difference b/w "recovery" and "reset"? are they the same? What is fastboot?

I am hesitant on trying these methods before I know what they do. I'd like to try anything BUT deleting everything from the phone to get it to work.

Again, I'm sorry for my ignorance here. I really need the "for Dummy's" version :confused:

Recovery is a section of your phone that is kind of like a computer BIOS. It can do a few things to help you out, but a lot of advanced users flash a custom one. And as for reset, all it does is wipe /cache and /data. When you bootloop, a good thing to fix it would be to flash over the stock boot.img, but would require your boot loader unlocked which wiol result in loss of data. Simply put: you're screwed unless you get over your stubbornness and just wipe or run an RUU. Sorry. You won't lose the data on the SD card, so you don't have to worry about that. I would just use the stock recovery for now.

Sent from my De-Sensed HTC Vivid using Android Central Forums

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Do you have the EVO 4G LTE or the EVO 4G (the original EVO which came out in 2010).

ANON5

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello all .. Im new to android forums
and I have the loop .. My phone is not modded in any way all factory aps ..or approved apps no roots mods or roms
When it happened was last night I was at a friends who had the hdmi cable ..So i fired up Netflix and had it plugged into the wall cuz the evos battery is lame (obvious)
So when I hooked upp the HDMI cable it didnt show anything on the tv .. and my phone screen went black except for the home menu back and search button... but they did not work either.. no buttons got a response

Ive tried the volume up trick in the recover but no luck .at least the first round.. Im charging it for a hout now with it off give it another go...

If it doesnt work I was wondering if theres a Linux trick to get into the phone? TO just recover my phones phonebook ,... I realize I should have attached them to a email account now :(

Thanks in advance

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800