Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,880 Global Posts

Default What do you want to know about Exchange?

OK, I'm back on Exchange ... Like I never left, lol. What all does everybody want to know about Exchange and the Evo 4G?

HTML Email? Which Exchange versions?
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

which email app are you using on the EVO with Exchange? HTC Mail or the Google Mail App? or other ie K9? i ask because i've been told Android phones aren't great with Non-Gmail mail out of the box. what is your set up and how does it compare with WinMob with Exchange - Mail, Contacts, Calendar sync/push/config/set up etc. - just as good?

thanks!

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

I think Exchange Server version is important. Anyone tried it with Exchange 2003? That's what my company uses despite my pleas to upgrade! ;-)

I do have an HTC Tattoo running Android 1.6 and Exchange support is OK...much better than Web<cough>OS

I'm also interested to know if Exchange support is better with Froyo (because hopefully the EVO will be getting it soon.

Yes, Exchange 2003 here, no problems.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skunkiechris View Post
    Yes, Exchange 2003 here, no problems.
    Do you get HTML email?

My main concern is whether or not my outlook calendar will sync. Yes...I'm an android newbie

Could not get Exchange Calendar to work on Moto Droid with Android 2.1. Does it work on EVO?

Exchange Server 2007

Default Address Book

Is there a better way to get your address book from Exchange on your device so you dont need to wait for a lookup process every time you want to send an email or make a phone call?

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smgoma View Post
    Could not get Exchange Calendar to work on Moto Droid with Android 2.1. Does it work on EVO?

Exchange Server 2007
    this works w/ 2.1 on the Sprint Hero

Quote Originally Posted by WidnrF1J1 View Post
    Is there a better way to get your address book from Exchange on your device so you dont need to wait for a lookup process every time you want to send an email or make a phone call?
    so does this.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Can you search your Exchange email?

There is a lot of great information for exchange support over here on the Incredible forum... they should be the same since they are both running HTC Sense.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droi...-q-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by VMdoug View Post
    Do you get HTML email?
    That's not supported by Exchange 2003. 2007 was the first to implement...

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Various

Could someone explain to me what Exchange is and why it's so important to people? It looks like it's something business oriented.

can you set up email account with schools that use webmail? thanks

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    Could someone explain to me what Exchange is and why it's so important to people? It looks like it's something business oriented.
    Exchange is Microsoft's Corporate eMail system. Many businesses use Exchange for their eMail. It's quite common in businesses. I used to run one at home for testing, was pretty nice..

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM10, CM9

I'm interested in enforced password/PIN lock support and remote wipe support.

Also interested in calendar sync and reminders.

Hell I'd almost be willing to make an account on my Exchange 2007 server for you to test our specific security policies. Thought that might get me fired.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

does it sync the global address list, and how much information is sync'd from the contacts. Does it include the telephone numbers, address etc, or is it just an email list.
    Once it does sync, does it allow you to search for individuals by name i.e. looking up John Doe, to find his email jdoe@company.com.

For example, I want to forward an email to someone but I can't remember their last name. Can you perform a search for "Joe" to pull up all the "Joe's" in the company directory / global address book through the native app pre-installed on the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by kudosmog View Post
    does it sync the global address list, and how much information is sync'd from the contacts. Does it include the telephone numbers, address etc, or is it just an email list.
    Once it does sync, does it allow you to search for individuals by name i.e. looking up John Doe, to find his email jdoe@company.com.

For example, I want to forward an email to someone but I can't remember their last name. Can you perform a search for "Joe" to pull up all the "Joe's" in the company directory / global address book through the native app pre-installed on the phone?
    We have several Heroes connected to our exchange server at my company and they can look up contacts from global address book... so I don't have any doubt that the EVO can too. If for some reason the EVO can't to it natively there are apps that will allow you to do this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jam4775 View Post
    We have several Heroes connected to our exchange server at my company and they can look up contacts from global address book... so I don't have any doubt that the EVO can too. If for some reason the EVO can't to it natively there are apps that will allow you to do this.
    The only problem with extra apps is, if my company starts handing out these phones to employees, we now have an additional cost of the app for each and every device, plus the added support of that app just so the phone will perform the same way a winmo phone would (in regards to exchange).

I guess at the very least I'll find out exactly how it works whenever I get my EVO, but it's good to hear it's already working on the Hero and therefore should work on the EVo as well

Quote Originally Posted by kudosmog View Post
    The only problem with extra apps is, if my company starts handing out these phones to employees, we now have an additional cost of the app for each and every device, plus the added support of that app just so the phone will perform the same way a winmo phone would (in regards to exchange).
    I definitely agree with you there... Touchdown is one exchange app and they want $20 for the full version and being a Network Administrator myself I don't want to have to deal with the additional support overhead of these nonnative apps. Also I don't like how exchange doesn't seem as seamless in Touchdown as it does in HTC Sense. I wish I had the EVO so I could tell you for sure what all works compared to winmo but I don't, still stuck with my Mogul atm

Phil, can you post a video showing how/if the fallowing exchange features work on the EVO? If not I'll try to make one when I get the EVO.

- Email sync
    - Calendar sync
    - Contact sync
    - Task sync
    - Managing folders in email
    - GAL look-up in email (when creating an email)
    - GAL look-up in calendar (when scheduling a meeting)
    - GAL look-up in contacts (what info do you see?)
    - Accept/Decline meeting invites

I can't think of anything else right now but I'll update the list if I come up with more.

Here's an early thanks for the video!

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    I'm interested in enforced password/PIN lock support and remote wipe support.

Also interested in calendar sync and reminders.

Hell I'd almost be willing to make an account on my Exchange 2007 server for you to test our specific security policies. Thought that might get me fired.
    This is an important question for many corporate folks I think.

I know the guys at my work with the Droid use Touchdown. I was hoping the Sense mail app would have native support for enforced password/PIN lock and remote wipe support. These policies are enforced at my company.

I'm an Exchange Administrator and will sadly have to wait until GOOD Messaging releases their Evo software update. We don't allow active sync connections (except for iPhones) due to lack of enterprise adminstration. That said we are in the midst of upgrading to EXG2010 and are considering AS at that point do to better enterprise admin. Debating between that and Good.

Once I have the phone I can pitch in something anybody wants to know, just hit me up.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by slideways View Post
    I'm an Exchange Administrator and will sadly have to wait until GOOD Messaging releases their Evo software update. We don't allow active sync connections (except for iPhones) due to lack of enterprise adminstration. That said we are in the midst of upgrading to EXG2010 and are considering AS at that point do to better enterprise admin. Debating between that and Good.

Once I have the phone I can pitch in something anybody wants to know, just hit me up.
    We're actually getting rid of Good, as it's cheaper for us to run ActiveSync and use a Juniper SA2500 for the Edge server. No MS OS on our DMZ. We're implementing PIN requirements on all phones, and then setting policies for different devices. If the device will support it, we'll enable encryption, if it doesn't, then PIN. If it doesn't support PIN, then no access.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast