1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Class 2 Microsd for evo??

At the shack they are on sale for 59.99, a decent price drop from the original price. I'm coming from an iPhone and am unaware how fast is fast for a microsd. Obviously the higher classes are better but I was informed by a store employee today that you can purchase the card now (before sale ends) and on the 4th bring back the receipt and unopened card to use your 20.00 evo bonus credit for some credit back = 39.99. Is this worth it? Or is the mighty evo mandatory of a more worthy comrade?

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

I think the standard answer is purchase the fastest card you can afford, especially if you are going to be running apps. FWIW, the EVO comes with a class 2 card. A lot of people will tell you thats fine while others will say get a class 6 or higher.

I figured I would split the difference and ended up buying a Class 4

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

FWIW, I have apps2sd installed on my Hero with a Class2 card and everything runs fine and fast (overclocked). I probably won't get anything faster cause I don't think I've ever been like, "Damn, I wish this would load already!"

If you watch movies off your sd card, they will run smoother off a faster card, but in my experience, its not too much of a difference.

Default Do the survey first and save $10 more

I just got the class 2 sandisk 16gig card from RS. I did the survey after I pre ordered, and used the $10 coupon so the card was only $49.99

It may only be class 2, but that's enough savings to pay for an 8gig class 6 too.
    I plan to use andless for .flac playback instead of mp3, so I want the space.

JAson
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by bhtoque View Post
    I just got the class 2 sandisk 16gig card from RS. I did the survey after I pre ordered, and used the $10 coupon so the card was only $49.99

It may only be class 2, but that's enough savings to pay for an 8gig class 6 too.

JAson
    Good idea! I'll Prob purchase the 16 and then just use the included class 2 8gb and run all kinds of tests. If it works out well then I'll keep the 16. If not then I lose nothing but a few minutes time. My Evo will thank me

JAson
    You can get this same card on Amazon for $30. I am using it right now in my Inc and the speeds are fine.

Remember, even a class 2 card can do 2MBps which is more than enough for running apps as far as I am concerned.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)

I have an A-DATA 16GB micro SDHC Class 6 card ($60 on Newegg). Once I get my Evo and run some tests, I can report back.
    Last edited by Sh3ngLong; 05-26-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    If you watch movies off your sd card, they will run smoother off a faster card, but in my experience, its not too much of a difference.
    Class 2 is fine for movies. not arguing, just saying

the class SD card you have will make the biggest difference once the FROYO 2.2 is released and your able to store and run your apps on the SD Card. Until then the difference between 2~6 is minimal. I personally would not waiste $60 on a class 2 only to have to upgrade in a couple of months (the included 8G Class 2 will suffice till then).

Thanks for that link Kyleg.

Good thing I had a credit from selling an old phone I had laying around. I hate overpaying for stuff when I should have just done more research.

I just wish the EVO had a side card slot instead of having to go in through the back cover.

JAson

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks for that link Kyleg.

Good thing I had a credit from selling an old phone I had laying around. I hate overpaying for stuff when I should have just done more research.

I just wish the EVO had a side card slot instead of having to go in through the back cover.

JAson
    As part of the "moving apps 2 sd" part of this move is making sure the sd card is secured and not removing the card while the phone is on and getting corrupted. You must remove the battery to get to the sd card which ensures the phone is off.

Since we're on this subject, I have a quick question. Being that the Evo can shoot video @ 720p, does anyone know around how long an 8 or 16gb memory card Class 2 will hold?

Smile Just for your Information

I ordered 4 days ago and received today a Sandisk Mobile Ultra MicroSDhc 16GB Class 4 card with card reader in a new factory sealed package with the factor serial numbers printed on the card(authentic, not gray market).

Go the ebay. The seller's user name is "UHAGGLE" Price is $64.99 with free shipping. His printed name on the envelope is, Henry Loh out of San Francisco, CA

I thought it was a hell of a deal.

Good Luck!

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Just to give everyone a frame of reference, let me explain the class terminology and give some examples:
    The classes refer to haw fast a card can be WRITE. This means the phone can WRITE data to the phone at that speed. Writing to the card is usually slower than reading, but that speed is not formally required to be any specific number. Supposedly Brand names are faster than generics, but that is up for debate.

Class 2: data writes at 2 MBps (Megabytes per second).
    Class 4: Writing at 4 MBps
    Class 6: Writing at 6 MBps
    And so on.

How does this affect us, the users?

Watching movies:
    iTunes (or Windows Media) Digital Copy movies from purchased DVDs (or download) play that the rate of 1.7 MBps. This means the video will play at full speed with no freezes or skips on a class 2 or faster card. (If the phone processor can process the data fast enough, which I expect it can).

iTunes HD video (720P, which EVO can handle) is 4.5 MBps, which means a class 2 card will stall out, a Class 4 MIGHT play it fine, but a class 6 is your best bet.

Home Brew Video: I encode H.264 video using XVID4PSP v.5 using the following rates; DVD => 756 KBps (0.7 MBps) HD 720P => 1,780 KBps (1.7 MBps). (Fast action movies I bump up to 2.5 MBps - the faster the motion in a frame of video, the harder it is to encode with detail.) These are MUCH lower than the Digital copies sold, but since I encode them myself, I set the encoder to Super-high quality and let it run, knowing it will look just as good as the purchased versions in MUCH smaller files, they just take longer to make. These will play fine on any card rated Class 2 or higher, even the HD files.

RECORDING Video:
    The EVO can record video at 720p (1280X720) at a rate of 20 frames per second. This is slow and choppy, considering 24 frames is movie/film speed and considered the slowest acceptable. I'm betting the reason is saving video in h.264 format at real time speed is very hard on computers. Converting a 1280X720 movie that is 2 hours long takes 6 hours on my video editing computer (3.5 hours on an 8-core Core-2 Rendering machine with 8 GB RAM), so realize the video recording is not going to be NEAR professional quality. HOWEVER, I think I remember reading that the EVO saves the 720p video at around 2 MBps, so the provided 8 GB class 2 card will work.

So, for running apps, listening to audio and playing DVD quality videos, a Class 2 card will work.
    For watching home brew HD video also, get a Class 4.
    For the best quality and performance on iTunes-level videos, get a class 6.

Hope that helped a bit.
    Last edited by mp0510; 05-31-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Fact checked myself and realized I wrote READ when I mean WRITE, which is the most important for overall performance
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

GMAXX,

In answer to your question, use the following equation:

Space on card / 2.5 MB = total seconds that can fit.
    Total seconds /60 seconds per minute = total minutes that can be stored.

So, an 8 GB card can hold around 50 minutes to an hour. a 16 GB card hits around 110 minutes.

Until someone can give me EXACT data rates for EVO recorded 720p, thats the best I can tell you. If the EVO rate is higher or lower, then the time shrinks or grows respecively.

For SD (480p) use this one as a good guesstimate: space/1.2 MB/60 SpM = Total Minutes (112 minutes for 8 GB and 227 minutes for 16 GB)

Cool, thanks!

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Amazon has 16GB SanDisk Class 2 cards for $29.85/ea +shipping