Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Default Tethering Question About My EVO

So I got an HTC EVO yesterday on eBay. Well rather it arrived yesterday. So I'm loving the phone right now. I have a question about tethering. When you hook a USB cable up you have options. Those are Charge Only, HTC Sync, Disk Drive, and Internet Sharing. My question is, does the latter offer a free USB tethering option that I wouldn't have to pay the Mobile Hotspot feature. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Also I would love any apps you guys can suggest that showcase off this phone, especially things the iPhone can't do .

No, I believe that also requires a plan.

It IS free!

Read through this thread:

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

So it's confirmed that SenseUI's internet sharing over USB isn't blocked by Sprint? If so that's awesome.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

That's good to hear. Love the phone, hate the battery cover.. it seems chintzy and prone to warping and the like.

thats great! i keep hearing better things about the evo everyday!

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts

Well just saw this link posted some were else and this looks pretty damn sweet, but Then why the hell charge for the Hotspot now? Outside of just trying to nickle and dime peeps. I really hope this news article is true.
    By By AT&T, I have Me an EVO. To me, the Phone of all Phones.
    Sae's Apps My EVO is sporting: CM7.1.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Whaaaat. I guess the $10 tax is definitely going further for the service. Good move Sprint on "free" tethering.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saepak View Post
    Well just saw this link posted some were else and this looks pretty damn sweet, but Then why the hell charge for the Hotspot now? Outside of just trying to nickle and dime peeps. I really hope this news article is true.

Hotspot functionality is different than just tethering your ONE laptop. You're sharing with up to 8 other users. More bandwidth, more free internet for those other users. I see the reason for charging for this, but I don't see a reason to charge for tethering one laptop.

ROM
    Stock for now.

Yeah I absolutely see no problem paying 10$ if they publically allow single PC tethering.

Paying 29 for Hotspot function isnt unreasonable either.

I highly doubt that PDAnet article is correct. Everything I've ever read ever about tethering shows that if you don't have the proper service for tethering on your plan, it's against your contract and they can kick you off for it.

Global Posts
    798 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Law View Post
    I highly doubt that PDAnet article is correct. Everything I've ever read ever about tethering shows that if you don't have the proper service for tethering on your plan, it's against your contract and they can kick you off for it.

lol, Vincent, you're a newbie.......it's cute. Keep reading.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post
    lol, Vincent, you're a newbie.......it's cute. Keep reading.
    When's the last time you read your Sprint contract?

Seriously. Why else would they make such an effort to block tethering in other cases? See also: the Palm Pre.

When's the last time you read your Sprint contract?

Seriously. Why else would they make such an effort to block tethering in other cases? See also: the Palm Pre.
    They arent Blocking tethering, they are blocking Mobile WIFI hotspot. And the $10 premium service is for just that. They specifically stated that because the EVO was going to be using more data over 3g and 4g that this is what the $10 covers. Essentially meaning, you are paying $10 a month for true UNLIMITED data. So, tether ALL YOU WANT!

Quote Originally Posted by Holsum View Post
    They arent Blocking tethering, they are blocking Mobile WIFI hotspot. And the $10 premium service is for just that. They specifically stated that because the EVO was going to be using more data over 3g and 4g that this is what the $10 covers. Essentially meaning, you are paying $10 a month for true UNLIMITED data. So, tether ALL YOU WANT!
    Yeah, that's what the PDAnet article linked wants you to believe. Why should I trust some random news article citing a rumor when everything else including the ye olde Sprint contracts say otherwise?

Just because it's "plain tethering" instead of a "hotspot" doesn't mean it is okay.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Yeah, that's what the PDAnet article linked wants you to believe. Why should I trust some random news article citing a rumor when everything else including the ye olde Sprint contracts say otherwise?

Just because it's "plain tethering" instead of a "hotspot" doesn't mean it is okay.
    Then explain this to me Mr. Rockstar.

If wired tethering is evil and forbidden, why didn't Sprint just rip it out? You don't need to use PdaNet or Easy Tether - it's now BUILT-IN by HTC. Android 2.1 devices all have it as well.

Ok, I'm a newb on this tethering thing. I've got a macbook pro, somebody explain to me how I can accomplish this when I get my Evo. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Niggle View Post

VERY easy to do, 10 minutes max. I'm running tethered through my Hero right now, plenty fast enough for recreation use, I've streamed Hulu and Netflix without much lag.
    Thanks Niggle.

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

pdaNet is basicaly the same as above. and even with the built in option in 2.1, it doesn't allow my hero to "share" its internet. Gives me a network error on the phone end.

I'm new as well to Andriod, but I'm sure there is a way to tether the device without being kicked off the plan. I have been tethering my Samsung Instinct for around 2 years and never had a problem.
    I have one question for the Android family here though. I have never tried to use more than one device tethered with my Instinct, is it possible to have more than one device at a time tethered or is it just one device? I know a Hotspot is more than one device, but I don't want to pay the extra $30 dollars!
    Thanks

No one is forcing you to believe it. Don't do it and miss out. I'll be happy tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by fupayme View Post
    I'm new as well to Andriod, but I'm sure there is a way to tether the device without being kicked off the plan. I have been tethering my Samsung Instinct for around 2 years and never had a problem.
    I have one question for the Android family here though. I have never tried to use more than one device tethered with my Instinct, is it possible to have more than one device at a time tethered or is it just one device? I know a Hotspot is more than one device, but I don't want to pay the extra $30 dollars!
    Thanks
    Technically you could do this with bluetooth. by connecting multiple devices over bluetooth as a tethering client on each. But as for wired tethering. Well, you only have 1 usb connector on the phone so probably one 1 device for tethering.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    pdaNet is basicaly the same as above. and even with the built in option in 2.1, it doesn't allow my hero to "share" its internet. Gives me a network error on the phone end.
    Thats because your PRI on the Hero ends in 03. If it didn't, then it wouldn't be blocked, and you phone wouldn't say Sprint on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsum View Post
    Technically you could do this with bluetooth. by connecting multiple devices over bluetooth as a tethering client on each. But as for wired tethering. Well, you only have 1 usb connector on the phone so probably one 1 device for tethering.
    Thank you for your help. I use it as Bluetooth now, never tried the USB angle, less wires more fun for me! I don't need more than one device so the article out of Dallas sounds good enough for me!

Hi all,

Making a simplistic statement that "if I can tether it must be ok to tether" is like saying "my motorocycle can do 150mph, so it must be ok to do that speed"

So, just so you folks all know the FACTS, here is an excerpt from the ToS for the Everything Data plan.. see the last line..

This gives the carrier the right to summarily cancel your service without notice.

Everything Data - with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM
    Sprint Premier qualifying plan: This plan qualifies you for perks like upgrade benefits beginning at 12 months of service for the primary line, anniversary gifts, six-month plan check-ups, and "just because" extras. Learn more at sprint.com/premier.
    Any Mobile, Anytime: Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using independent third-party and Sprint databases. Available with select Sprint plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes voicemail, 411 and other indirect methods).
    GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav™ for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.
    Sprint Mobile Email: Access multiple personal email accounts in a single application on featured phones. Providers include: AOL, Windows Live (including MSN/Hotmail), Yahoo! and Gmail.
    Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access to corporate email on feature phones (non PDA devices) through Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a desktop redirector. If your company uses Lotus Notes Domino, you can obtain access to that email on your phone through redirector software that can be downloaded and then direct mailed to your phone.
    Receive corporate email on Microsoft ExchangeSM 2000, 2003 and 2007 and on Lotus NotesSM Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 through a desktop redirector software.
    BlackBerry® Internet Service (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo!® Messenger, AIM®, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.
    Sprint Radio: Indulge yourself with even more radio channels in addition to discounts on wireless music downloads. View the full Sprint Radio line-up at .
    Sprint TV: Watch shows, sports, news, movies and more, choose from: exclusive content, short clips or full-length episodes. For the full line-up, visit sprint.com/tvguide.
    Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.
    Direct Connect® and Group Connect®: Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.
    Talk: Nights, Mon-Thurs. 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.; Weekends, Fri. 7 p.m. - Mon. 7 a.m.
    Phone as modem or tethering: not included.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast