Replace Home Internet With EVO Hotpot?

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using their EVO hotspot to replace your home Internet connection?

Any real world feedback?

Speed?

Dropouts?

Thanx

No because if i leave that means no internet for my family. If you are living alone you might as well tether for free with an app. Just my .02

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. it's $30/month hardly a bargain. my cable broadband is $20/month and probably much faster and more reliable.
2. do you really want the hassle of turning hotspot on/off all the time? you'll have to otherwise it's a battery killer. leave the house = off. enter house = on. rinse and repeat. PIA IMO.
3. multiple people in household = won't work when you leave.
4. will you really use it? you have a 4.3" display with big keyboard already - how much are you really going to need to take your PC with you? and if so won't they have fast wifi there anyway ie hotel, coffee, etc.? or is it just the novelty factor?

i would like to see the hotspot price lowered to $10/month. that would make it compelling.

or better yet roll the 4G $10 tax AND the $30 hotspot into the $99/month "Simply Everything Unlimited" Plans. i predict that will happen within 18-24 months.

auburnmk

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself on all points except one...cable broadband only $20!? Who are you with and what kind of bandwidth are you getting for that? Would love something like that! lol :cool:

1. it's $30/month hardly a bargain. my cable broadband is $20/month and probably much faster and more reliable.
2. do you really want the hassle of turning hotspot on/off all the time? you'll have to otherwise it's a battery killer. leave the house = off. enter house = on. rinse and repeat. PIA IMO.
3. multiple people in household = won't work when you leave.
4. will you really use it? you have a 4.3" display with big keyboard already - how much are you really going to need to take your PC with you? and if so won't they have fast wifi there anyway ie hotel, coffee, etc.? or is it just the novelty factor?

i would like to see the hotspot price lowered to $10/month. that would make it compelling.

or better yet roll the 4G $10 tax AND the $30 hotspot into the $99/month "Simply Everything Unlimited" Plans. i predict that will happen within 18-24 months.

crackerstyle

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself on all points except one...cable broadband only $20!? Who are you with and what kind of bandwidth are you getting for that? Would love something like that! lol :cool:

I'm with you here, I have standard Insight Roadrunner and it's like 33 a month.

nickneagle

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I am keeping my home internet with Fios since its pretty awesome. I am however getting rid of my Sprint Merlin Data air card thats two years old and about $60 a month. I am giving that to my dad who will never upgrade to an Evo and could use the internet savings. I agree it will be a pain on vacation and all using it, but why would I want to answer my phone then anyway? haha

kudosmog

May 19, 2010
Visit site
20/month broadband connection?
Where in the world do you get that deal.

The only thing I know of at that price is DSL lite from ATT, which is 768/128.

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
my comcast is like $65 a month. i'd love to drop them, but i'd have to go with DSL and that's not happening. there's no 4G in my area and even if there was, i don't think using my evo would be the best solution.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I plan on dropping my 7mb cable connection as it is 40 bucks a month, and from 4pm until midnight it's lucky to pull 2mb - 3mb consistently, simple to many people on one node. My wife an I are usually at home at the same times during the evening and she usually just uses her iPhone to surf the little she does anyhow. Clearwire is however offering a home based 4G modem that can be hooked to a router to cover a home and If not mistaken the basic package is a 3mb DL/1mb UP for 20 or 25 bucks.

My guess is that Sprint will offer some sort of router that can be purchased as well to leave at home and connect to the same plan as the phone. If they want to encourage people to pay $29.99 for the hotspot they need this added bonus of having a signal at your home for the family while the phone is away.

Either way, I'm going to give it a go with the Evo tethering plan for a few months and see how the speeds and consistency go.

Last edited: