I tested HDMI on the Evo

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I received my microHDMI cable today and just tested the feature on my TV at home.

Works on:
- YouTube app
- Built-in video player app "Videos"
- Built-in gallery app "Gallery"
- Slideshows of pictures in gallery app.

Does not work in:
- Camera app
- Video recorder app
- Qik video app
- SprintTV
- Home screens or other apps (does not send video out of navigating the phone)

Quality:
If the original video looks great, so will the output from the Evo. Video taken with the Evo in 720p looks significantly compressed and overly "sharpened", but still the best I've seen on a cell phone.

YouTube HQ videos looked good as well, but again, depends on the quality of the original. Not quite as good as a ripped dvd but hardly noticeable.

Sound always came through well with no discernible loss of quality.

What blew me away, though, was viewing a slideshow of pictures I took with the Evo. They looked fabulous on my HDTV! Colors were rich and detail was stunning.

I was actually surprised the video did not show up on the TV when opening the camera app. Would be nice to be able to view what your camera is pointing at on a big screen.

Also, when it actually is broadcasting through HDMI, the Evo's screen is black except for some navigation buttons. Would be nice to have the option to show both.

Overall, I'm happy with the performance. It's a great feature that can come in handy on vacations, watching movies, browsing YouTube, etc. Worth the under $20 price for a cable.

--------
Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause that's how I roll.

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
...What blew me away, though, was viewing a slideshow of pictures I took with the Evo. They looked fabulous on my HDTV! Colors were rich and detail was stunning...

How large is your HDTV? I'm guessing the lower quality videos will look even worse on larger tvs.

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
What blew me away, though, was viewing a slideshow of pictures I took with the Evo. They looked fabulous on my HDTV! Colors were rich and detail was stunning.

HDTV: 1920x1080 frame size equals 2,073,600 total pixels.

In other words, your screen equates to the resolution of a 2.1 megapixel camera. Zooming out on an 8MP photo in order to fit it inside a 2.1 megapixel screen (actually, less unless the phone is shooting in the same aspect ratio which I doubt) hides a lot of flaws. I would expect it to look great.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Hopefully future updates will allow for varied compression levels on video...

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Good stuff! Thanks for letting us know. Where did you get the cable from ?

Got it from Arrow. Found the link in another thread somewhere. This is what I did:

1. Click Molex Connector Part Number - 0687860003

2. Click on Check Distributor Inventory (blue banner, middle of the page)
3. Click on Americas (map)
4. Click on Arrow Electronics
5. Order

Ignore the picture of the tiny cable...it's there just to show the ends. It's a 2m long cable :)

lshelmir

May 8, 2010
Visit site
get your minds out of the gutter! Were talking about a serious piece of equipment...

Now on to important subjects...

Do the games come over on the screen...

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I loaded up Dungeon Hunter while hooked up to HDMI and it did NOT go through the TV. I'm sure an app has to be written to take advantage of it.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Has any of this been retested in 2.2? Just got my HDMI cable today and cannot get slideshow to display on the TV. Videos work from the gallery and downloaded videos from youtube work, but the youtube app did not work nor did sprint tv. Did this get worse after the 2.2 update? It sounds like it worked a lot better in 2.1.