Fring video calling to Sprint EVO!

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Fring video calling to Sprint EVO! (with SKYPE support)

Saw this on another site this morning. Thought I'd share the good news!!!!!

fringpost.jpg

Android phones like the HTC EVO 4G and Samsung Galaxy S now include front facing cameras, but there are not many apps that take advantage of this exciting new feature. Google has yet to add support for dual cameras to the Android SDK and app developers have been working with the carriers to support these new devices.
Sprint chose Qik as their streaming video app to include with the EVO 4G, but the current version loaded on the phone does not support video calling yet. I had been trying to gain access to the latest beta to test this new feature out, but I?ve had no luck so far.
Thankfully Fring has stepped up to the table and updated their popular messaging application to support front facing cameras and video calling. The app just went live so I have not had the chance to test it with other EVO users, but that is on the agenda for my next YouTube video I film.
Fring has yet to update their blog with additional details, so check back later for a full report. We will test video calling over 3G, 4G, and WiFi.

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My only question is how could this be used for day to day use? What I mean is you would have to always be running Fring to receive calls? If so would that even be a huge deal under Android?

Is there a way that if someone sent a skype call request from their desktop to you, you would then receive the request without having to keep that app running all the time?

Logically something has to be running to receive the request but I am not familiar enough with Android's OS to know if this is the actual app or a small library/service could be running that could then launch the app on request etc...

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
My only question is how could this be used for day to day use? What I mean is you would have to always be running Fring to receive calls? If so would that even be a huge deal under Android?

Is there a way that if someone sent a skype call request from their desktop to you, you would then receive the request without having to keep that app running all the time?

Logically something has to be running to receive the request but I am not familiar enough with Android's OS to know if this is the actual app or a small library/service could be running that could then launch the app on request etc...

its called multitasking, unlike the iphone ANDROID does it very well. the app runs in the background taking up minimal processor usage.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
its called multitasking, unlike the iphone ANDROID does it very well. the app runs in the background taking up minimal processor usage.

<GRIN> I know man, I understand what multitasking is. I had one of the first multitasking computers, the Amiga. i:Di

I also understand that the program could be kept running but would it HAVE to? Every program that ruins takes system memory and resources. I was wondering if there was a small service that could be ran that would only launch the program when needed saving memory.

Android may multitask well but there is always a limit on how much you can have running and small services versus entire programs makes a big difference I am sure. I just need to learn more.

I would love to be able to receive video calls but it is not something I would need often enough to keep a program running all the time if you know what I mean? I would like it to act more like a phone call, email or text, I just get it when needed not having to worry about it or resources. That is the only way that something like that would be useful day to day, to me at least.

I do like the way that running programs can basically be hidden, that is nice.

I am just trying to understand how Android handles these types of things usually. I will learn as I go
Thanks for the help though!

Last edited:

apexi350z

May 18, 2010
Visit site
<GRIN> I know man, I understand what multitasking is. I had one of the first multitasking computers, the Amiga. i:Di

I also understand that the program could be kept running but would it HAVE to? Every program that ruins takes system memory and resources. I was wondering if there was a small service that could be ran that would only launch the program when needed saving memory.

ha, Amiga user :) I never did upgrade to Amiga, just had C64, and C128 :)
I think the program has to be running somehow in the background so it can detect incoming calls. Just like having Skype on pc, where it sit in the system tray, and take up system resources..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze