Built-in USB tether: Does it work on Mac?

stoli412

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
We've confirmed that the built-in USB tether included in Sense is working on the EVO and is not blocked by Sprint. Can anyone confirm if this will work on Mac as well? Another thread noted that a driver needed to be installed on Windows before it could see the EVO. Is the same true for Mac? Is there a Mac driver available?

I'd really love to be able to use the built-in tether instead of PDANet. And there's no way I'm paying the $30 hotspot fee. I only need to tether to my laptop once or twice a month.

Thanks!

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
We've confirmed that the built-in USB tether included in Sense is working on the EVO and is not blocked by Sprint. Can anyone confirm if this will work on Mac as well? Another thread noted that a driver needed to be installed on Windows before it could see the EVO. Is the same true for Mac? Is there a Mac driver available?

I'd really love to be able to use the built-in tether instead of PDANet. And there's no way I'm paying the $30 hotspot fee. I only need to tether to my laptop once or twice a month.

Thanks!
Yes it does work for a mac, the software is called HTC sync and it comes with the phone. It ALSO syncs with Ubuntu.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
HTC Sync doesn't work with Mac BUT:
The reason why it works with Ubuntu is that the driver's needed which get installed with HTC Sync (ADB) aren't necessary for Unix based systems. You should be good to go out of the box on Mac/Linux/PC with HTC Sync installed.

stoli412

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Whatever. You don't like OS X, we get it. But your post is not helpful to me or anyone else in the thread. So unless you have useful information, I'd rather you refrain from crapping on my thread.

jxs1984

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, you already got your answer. I offered a suggestion that would allow you to get the most out of your phone. Oh well

Your suggestion is like a 12 year old kid's suggestion.

Anyway back to the topic. My fiancee owns a MacBook and she wish she could use HTC Sync. Hopefully in the future HTC Sync will be Mac compatible... if not I guess she'll have to accept that. For now you can just use PdaNet (free) which is compatible on a Mac.

stoli412

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyway back to the topic. My fiancee owns a MacBook and she wish she could use HTC Sync. Hopefully in the future HTC Sync will be Mac compatible... if not I guess she'll have to accept that. For now you can just use PdaNet (free) which is compatible on a Mac.
Ok, I guess I'm a little confused now. The HTC Sync program is Windows only, and I'm not too worried about that. I will be syncing contacts/calendars over-the-air via Google and Exchange.

But HTC's built-in USB tether is completely separate from HTC Sync, right? And it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux?

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, I just have no way of testing this out myself right now. The only Android/Sense phone I have access to is a Droid Eris with 2.1, and it doesn't give the Internet Sharing option when I plug in USB.

jxs1984

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I guess I'm a little confused now. The HTC Sync program is Windows only, and I'm not too worried about that. I will be syncing contacts/calendars over-the-air via Google and Exchange.

But HTC's built-in USB tether is completely separate from HTC Sync, right? And it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux?

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, I just have no way of testing this out myself right now. The only Android/Sense phone I have access to is a Droid Eris with 2.1, and it doesn't give the Internet Sharing option when I plug in USB.

HTC Sync includes the driver required for built-in usb tethering. In order to enable built-in usb tethering you will need to install HTC Sync.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, you already got your answer. I offered a suggestion that would allow you to get the most out of your phone. Oh well

You've made your point. The OP has also made it clear that what you've suggested isn't an option, so unless you have some other constructive suggestions please move along to the next thread.

Cory

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd confirm it for you on my Hero... but I like having my phone's PRI being correct. Its blocked on Heros that are properly connected to the Sprint Network. If it works with linux, though, it will work with Mac. You may have to tell the settings on network preferences to use it as a network connection though. The nice thing about Linux/Mac in this case is that the Driver's that Windows would need to install are built in. This ADB driver stands for Android Debugging Bridge and allows communication with the internal storage of the phone to the computer. You don't need anything to setup this connection, however if you want to manually communicate with the system, for instance, to tell it to delete sprint bloatware, you need root permissions and the sdk which allows you to control the phone from the computer.
Simple data connections that don't require access to the /system/ folder of the internal memory, do not need root. This is why you don't need root access to use this USB tethering and you can just connect and be done with it.
If I'm not clear, I'm sorry. Its not easy to explain if you don't have a phone in front of you. Its more complex than just item A (computer) and item B (phone) because the phone has an SD card and internal memory and the bridge between the two aren't the same.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Its not necessary. You can get iCal and Address Book to sync with google contacts eliminating the need for this software, since thats all it does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781