1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can I receive call while surfing the web?

I am currently an iphone user, and thinking about switching to EVO 4G. But I know CDMA cannot do data / voice at the same time.... which i THINK i can deal with that..

but I need to know if I can at least receive phone calls while I am using the data connection, or will it usually just go to voice mail when people call at the time i am downloading things?... this would be a deal breaker

please let me know thanks

the phone call will come through but will stop your data.

unless you're in a 4G area.

^^^ or using WiFi

I'm pretty sure you can.

I just called my Sprint Palm 755p while browsing the web and it showed the call from my work phone that I'd just placed to see if it could indeed get calls while surfing. When the call ended, it went right back to the web page I'd been on.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Default i have googled already

Quote Originally Posted by Gelst View Post
    i have googled already, and know it can't do data / voice at the same time.. but not sure if it can receive call at the minimum... "thank you". interesting link though

but it's good news that at least it received call at least, when i am on data.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Yeah, they finally announced at Google I/O that you can do voice and data at the same time in 4g areas, otherwise the call will just interrupt your browsing session.

Wifi: voice can happen simultaneously
    4G data: voice can happen simultaneously
    3G data: call comes in, data stops
    1X data: call goes to voicemail during data transmissions

I think you guys are seeing his question incorrectly.

He's asking that if he's surfing the web, will a call come through?
    The answer is YES.

But you can't be on a call and surf on 3G.
    You can be on a call and then surf the web on 4g or Wifi.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

In all honesty, I rarely have the need to use both at the same time.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    In all honesty, I rarely have the need to use both at the same time.
    I will use it all the time. Whenever I am on the phone with my girlfriend I use my bluetooth so that I can do other things while she yaps and yaps ... being on my bluetooth will enable me to use the phone to browse the internet and look at adult material while listening to my girfriend

It's one of the many things that I hate about the Palm Crapre that I can't talk and surf at the same time because of the 3g limitations.
    Last edited by Gelst; 05-27-2010 at 02:30 PM.

I will use it all the time. Whenever I am on the phone with my girlfriend I use my bluetooth so that I can do other things while she yaps and yaps ... being on my bluetooth will enable me to use the phone to browse the internet and look at adult material while listening to my girfriend

It's one of the many things that I hate about the Palm Crapre that I can't talk and surf at the same time.
    There may be many other reason to hate the Pre but you need to get educated because not being able to use voice and 3G data is not Pre-specific. It's a Sprint network limitation.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

He's right about the Pre. It's not its fault it can't do both, it's the 3G.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    There may be many other reason to hate the Pre but you need to get educated because not being able to use voice and 3G data is not Pre-specific. It's a Sprint network limitation.

Y ou guys must have misread my post. easy on the haterade at lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by boxta View Post
    i have googled already, and know it can't do data / voice at the same time.. but not sure if it can receive call at the minimum... "thank you". interesting link though

but it's good news that at least it received call at least, when i am on data.
    You CAN have a call and surf at the same time, but ONLY under two scenarios:

1. You're in a 4G area (check here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...ted-5-5-a.html )

2. You're in a wifi area

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Y ou guys must have misread my post. easy on the haterade at lunch.
    Hey, no hate. Just a minor correction.
    </awesome>

Follow-up question: If you're surfing on 3G and a call comes in, does it automatically interrupt the data session, or only if you ACCEPT the call? Because I can think of a great way to seriously annoy people who are 3G surfing if it's the former.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I thought it was a limitation of CDMA, meaning Verizon phones have the same problem.

What I HATE about CDMA is when you get a call while on a call, there's no way to hang up the 2nd call, meaning both are running until you hit the End All Calls button. Just retarded to the max.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    I thought it was a limitation of CDMA, meaning Verizon phones have the same problem.

What I HATE about CDMA is when you get a call while on a call, there's no way to hang up the 2nd call, meaning both are running until you hit the End All Calls button. Just retarded to the max.
    Well, that's what I meant when I said 3G (Sprint and Verizon's). Apparently, CDMA is actually capable of simultaneous voice and data too or maybe it's some variant of it. It was never enabled or bought into wide use, so it just died out.

Also, that thing about not being able to end one of the calls sounds like a phone limitation, not a network one.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

the att pre can surf and talk

the answer to the original ?
    you should receive calls while using data

ROM
    clean rom ics

I think it is funny those commercials that say "I can call and surf at the same time!" Then makes it look like the page appears right away while he is on the call. I have friends with AT&T and several phones, including the iPhone. Yeh, then can surf when on a call, but it is like they are using a 9600baud modem. The internet connection is almost not even there. Even an IM program takes a minute or more to send a line of text.

Then I started asking around to see if anyone ever needed to be on the internet while on their phones at the same time. 100% of the people asked (about 20, and all tech support geeks) said no.

I used WiFi once on my Touch Pro 2 while on a call just to see if it can be done and if it would be of any use. Yes, it can be done. The Touch Pro 2 (Sprint) does not seem to care I was on a call. (Slightly different hardware then other carriers TP2's by the way). But at the same time, I really had no need to be on the internet while talking to someone. The person you are talking to has to be way boring for you to surf while talking to them.
    Last edited by McPlot; 05-28-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: update
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky driving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    1X data: call goes to voicemail during data transmissions
    That's a good bit of info! I never knew that about 1X-RTT.