Video quality between EVO and Palm PRE

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen, the Pre has better quality/compression than the EVO. Any thoughts? Are people compressing the EVO video with crap software?

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering about this somewhat.
All of the video I've seen on the Evo have been shot in "720p" which of course the Pre doesn't do.
I'd assume from playing with "HD" cameras that lowering the resolution will actually increase the quality of the video.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
From my limited tests, it seems the 720p video that the Evo shoots is highly compressed by the Evo itself. I uploaded this test video directly from the phone to YouTube. Notice the artifacting in the darker areas. That's compression. Not as good as my Kodak Zi6, but certainly passable for a cell phone.

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
From my limited tests, it seems the 720p video that the Evo shoots is highly compressed by the Evo itself. I uploaded this test video directly from the phone to YouTube. Notice the artifacting in the darker areas. That's compression. Not as good as my Kodak Zi6, but certainly passable for a cell phone.

Question is... can you uncompress it...

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
What if you changed to a lower resolution on the evo? Will the quality/smoothness be any different?

Haven't tried smaller resolutions, but I would assume it would be better since it would hide some of the artifacting. Of course, once you enlarge it on a TV or even on your computer monitor, I'm sure it will degrade.

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm also shocked at the audio rec quality on the EVO....sounds like there's a running faucet in the background. Palm Pre wasn't even built for video and it had virtually no odd background noise.....i just don't understand why this is the case from a brand new phone....hope there's a fix soon!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The problem the Pre has with video is that the audio can go WILDLY out of sync with the picture. I'm not talking a little lip-flip like a Godzilla movie, but 10 SECONDS out of sync. I shot some footage at an event the evening the 1.4 update came out which added video recording, and when I went to edit, it was so out of whack, it was useless unless I manually resynced the sound, which would've been nearly impossible.

You want good HD video in a small package? Get a Flip Ultra HD for $150 and be done with it.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
If the compression is done on the chip then what can be done?
I'm sure the reason they compressed it is with out compression the files would get huge fast.

Still would like to see a lower resolution video posted.
Frame rate ought to be higher as well.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
If the compression is done on the chip then what can be done?
I'm sure the reason they compressed it is with out compression the files would get huge fast.

Still would like to see a lower resolution video posted.
Frame rate ought to be higher as well.

It's true about the file size getting ridiculous but I still wish the option was there to turn it off. I don't think that it's chip-side compression, must be Android doing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21