Evo outside?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just curious about the Evo outdoors - I've read many posts with this concern, but haven't heard anyone complain. Does that mean it's easy to see in the sun? Does the screen brightness adjust automatically? (I'm new to Droid)

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I have one already and it is better than an OLED screen, but still not great. For example, when I am driving and it is mounted in a car dock on one of my AC vents I can barely see it during the day. Any other time it is great. It is no worse than any other touch screen device except the iPhone which does a little better job in sunlight. Nothing can touch a Blackberry screen in the sunlight but I am willing to put up with it because of the other benefits I get with it.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I do have an iPod touch but I usually am indoors with it, so I will take it outside and see how it looks today. I have a BlackBerry and the screen is no problem to see outdoors. Anyone know if there are contrast settings, etc, to make it more vibrant outside?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've never seen contrast settings, but there are the usual brightness settings that everything has. And it has an option to allow it to automatically adjust based on lighting conditions.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So more, we will be fighting the reflection than the actual inability to read the screen because of the sun? I've ordered Phantomskinz and I guess I'm getting a "matte" finish set with the purchase. I may need/want to use that one to eliminate the glare as long as it doesn't compromise the beauty of the display. I bet that would make a big difference, anyone know about matte skins vs. clear?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Just curious about the Evo outdoors - I've read many posts with this concern, but haven't heard anyone complain. Does that mean it's easy to see in the sun? Does the screen brightness adjust automatically? (I'm new to Droid)

Droid is the Verizon brand. There's the Motorola Droid, and the Droid Incredible.

The Evo is with Sprint, and does not use the Droid moniker. The software on the the Evo is "Android" and that is made by Google.

Anyway, TFT screens (like in the Evo) are usually pretty decent in the sun. And yes, Android does have auto-brightness control.

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Droid is the Verizon brand. There's the Motorola Droid, and the Droid Incredible.

The Evo is with Sprint, and does not use the Droid moniker. The software on the the Evo is "Android" and that is made by Google.

Do you know how many times a week I find myself trying to explain this to non Android folks.

While i will agree the "Droid" branding and advertising has done wonders for Android, it is rather frustrating at times to try and explain the difference between the branding and the operating system. Oh well, in time people hopefully will understand.

Thanks

-Nick

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you know how many times a week I find myself trying to explain this to non Android folks.

While i will agree the "Droid" branding and advertising has done wonders for Android, it is rather frustrating at times to try and explain the difference between the branding and the operating system. Oh well, in time people hopefully will understand.

Thanks

-Nick

Yep, that's what advertising does to the average joe. Everyone now thinks Android is called Droid and it is only on Verizon :D. At least it put Android on the map, manufactures are moving phones with Android like hotcakes.

xandrake

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I talked to my friend's parents about this last night as well. I told them the phone I was getting and they said, "I've heard great things about the Droid."

I had to /facepalm after trying to explain for 10 mins.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, Ok, I get it. ANDROID is what I will be using. Pardon my ignorance, I do catch on quickly though. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance