Worried about SIZE? - Don't be.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
About me:

- Current Pre user
- I'm a "phone in pocket" guy, not a holster
- I'm obsessed with this phone, so yes, I AM biased.

Went to Radioshack today to see if the "claims" that most stores will have their displays up and running. Well, that claim isn't entirely true, but the store close to my house did have a dummy device.

Only reporting on size, form factor, feel:

Wow. It's kinda perfectly sized. Yes, bigger than the pre for sure, but when I first picked it up I did NOT say to myself "man, this thing is huge". Feels fantastic in your hand. Much thinner than any of the youtube vids portray it as. It slid in my jeans pocket very easily and smoothly (and no, I wasn't wearing baggy jeans or sweatpants as some jackmo claimed you would need to do to get it in your pocket. Normal, if not slightly tighter than normal jeans - went right in my pocket). Feel of the backplate is very nice. I doubt I will get a "gel" cover or anything as it appears to be textured correctly that it will wear just fine - unlike the back of an iPhone or something else shiny that will scratch right away.

I know there are a bazillion reviews out there and some are "for" the size and some are "against". Just wanted to share my experience. It did not seem "too big". In fact, a friend that is an iPhone fanboy joked with me last night "oh, you're going to get that phone that's the size of an envelope". Well....he's totally wrong. I bet I get 'used to the size' in less than a day.

We're under 7 days....

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
About me:

- Current Pre user
- I'm a "phone in pocket" guy, not a holster
- I'm obsessed with this phone, so yes, I AM biased.

Went to Radioshack today to see if the "claims" that most stores will have their displays up and running. Well, that claim isn't entirely true, but the store close to my house did have a dummy device.

Wow. It's kinda perfectly sized. Yes, bigger than the pre for sure, but when I first picked it up I did NOT say to myself "man, this thing is huge". Feels fantastic in your hand. Much thinner than any of the youtube vids portray it as. It slid in my jeans pocket very easily and smoothly (and no, I wasn't wearing baggy jeans or sweatpants as some jackmo claimed you would need to do to get it in your pocket. Normal, if not slightly tighter than normal jeans - went right in my pocket). Feel of the backplate is very nice. I doubt I will get a "gel" cover or anything as it appears to be textured correctly that it will wear just fine - unlike the back of an iPhone or something else shiny that will scratch right away.

I know there are a bazillion reviews out there and some are "for" the size and some are "against". Just wanted to share my experience. It did not seem "too big". In fact, a friend that is an iPhone fanboy joked with me last night "oh, you're going to get that phone that's the size of an envelope". Well....he's totally wrong. I bet I get 'used to the size' in less than a day.

We're under 7 days....
Thanks for the review. I'm going to hold off on that nice looking argyle cover mentioned elsewhere on this forum until I can see what the back feels like alone.

6 days, 16 1/2 hours to go...:cool:

mbabc

May 18, 2010
Visit site

+1
Went to the Shack at lunch and it's feels just right in khakis. Always been a front pocket kinda user and the EVO will be just fine. Might get the Innocase II.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Okay you are going to laugh, I got the HTC leather Evo case. It comes with a piece of foam to keep its shape. I assume the foam is pretty much exact Evo size. So a few times I held the foam to get a feel for the size, see how it would be in a pocket etc...

Talked to it sweetly.. oops.. did I type that... i:)i

Anyway it seems fine if the foam is anything to go by. Already got my case, 16GB mSD card, spare battery and battery charger, One more week....

HTC Evo Leather Pouch Case

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay you are going to laugh, I got the HTC leather Evo case. It comes with a piece of foam to keep its shape. I assume the foam is pretty much exact Evo size. So a few times I held the foam to get a feel for the size, see how it would be in a pocket etc...

Talked to it sweetly.. oops.. did I type that... i:)i

Anyway it seems fine if the foam is anything to go by. Already got my case, 16GB mSD card, spare battery and battery charger, One more week....

HTC Evo Leather Pouch Case

Damn. I thought I was prepared. Well played man. Stroll into a RS and schmooze an associate into letting you see their dummy. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the size. After watching every vid on YouTub, I actually thought he handed me the wrong phone - those vids are deceiving. The size is legit.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I 100% agree. I saw a dummy unit at Best Buy then ordered it. Some of the reviews saying it was way to big must have been written by Smurfs

Patrick-D

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Took my queue from this thread and headed to RS. The guy had the dummy unit in the back and I have to agree, the phone isn't as big as most videos seem to portray. Felt just right to me. Still a huge screen but easily pocketable.

Had already handled the HD2 so it should have been obvious but I was starting to picture a massive phone that may have been overkill for me. Not so in my opinion.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Pre+holster guy and when I looked at a dummy at RS last night, I tried slipping into my khakis pocket and it didn't feel too bad. If the Pre had whatever the material is on the back of the EVO (and the Flip Ultra HD camera) on its back, it wouldn't have felt like a slippery bar of soap begging to be dropped. (My g/f HATED using my Pre because she was afraid she'd lose her grip.)

I can't wait to get all Crocodile Dundee on my iPhone fanboy pals: "You call that a phone with a big display?" [pull out EVO] "Now THAT'S a phone with a big display!" [put on sunglasses] "YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Can you take pics of the EVO (even the dummy one) next to the Pre?

Show the pre both open and close.

I can not find any measurements of the pre with the slider open, and I am wondering how long it is compared to other phones.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
good 2 know. the blogs make it seem like the evo feels like carrying a dvd player or something

I had the same impression. Even the youtube vids don't do it justice. Maybe the old "the camera adds 10lbs" hahaha.

It's commented on because it is new and different. I have a feeling (and we've seen in leaked pics) that this is where mobile phones are headed. A better mobile multimedia experience demands a bigger screen. I bet these comments will be laughed at in a year when most phones are in the 3.7 - 4.3'' size range.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
An easy comparison for you all:

If you can fit a PSP in your pocket, you can fit an EVO. The PSP has the same size screen, and is actually somewhat larger and thicker than the EVO.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is what sold me as well, I was afraid of the size and stopped in Best Buy to hold one. I preordered on the spot.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I own a Evo and honestly I wish it was bigger with maybe a 5 inch screen, it doesn't feel big at all for me

Last edited:

auburnmk

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of that cover....is it gel/rubber/silicon-based? I read the product desription on fommy.com and it never uses the words "skin" or "hard", but it's a "flexible case" but has "precise cutouts" which seems like a contradiction based on my experience with skins.

Didn't mean to hijack btw....thanks for the review on the size and I'm not worried at all it, looking forward to veiwing any and everything on that gorgeous screen!:cool:

Thanks for the review. I'm going to hold off on that nice looking argyle cover mentioned elsewhere on this forum until I can see what the back feels like alone.

6 days, 16 1/2 hours to go...:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1