Who's Buying Non-Contract EVO?

Alchematron

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I figure I will buy the EVO from Sprint for $450.00 non-contract so I am not locked in for 2 years and I can upgrade to another 4G phone which will likely happen.

Do you plan to do the same?

misplacedhatred

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If i cant get sprint to push my upgrade up a month, than i will will be doing the same most likely.. although there is much debate to this decision.. No one likes spending more than they have to...

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I pre-ordered mine at Radio Shack i'm buying it off contract since i dont have my next upgrade until May of next year. I decided to just pay the extra 50 at Radio Shack to make sure I got it instead of paying 450 and the chance i wouldn't end up getting on the 4th at the Sprint store.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
If i cant get sprint to push my upgrade up a month, than i will will be doing the same most likely.. although there is much debate to this decision.. No one likes spending more than they have to...

If you're only 1 month away from upgrade eligibility at launch, wait another 2 weeks. I was able to upgrade early when I got my Hero (I was about 13 days away from eligibility), and I've read at several forums that you can upgrade 14 days early. If you know a store manager at a Sprint store, or get lucky and get a cool Acct. Services rep through CS.... you should be able to get it.
No sense in spending an extra $250 to get the phone right away.

Now, if you were 5 months out (like me :(), then I'd say otherwise ;)

My $.02

AkaYaReal

May 4, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade is in September and I dont plan waiting. I will most likely get it from Sprint for the $450 but if I cant find it the day of or when I go to get it, I have a friend that works in a RS and will just call her and tell her to put one aside for me.

Also, like Alchematron said, I also want to keep my options open not that 4g phones are rolling out and who knows if WP7 may come out with something to wow me (even though I highly doubt it from what I see from it).

duckwars

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm switching over to Sprint and I can't make any logical sense of buying a phone off contract.

Worst comes to worst I quit the contract and I pay the early termination fee of 175$, which means I still got the phone for 200 + 175 = 375$ which is cheaper than buying it out right. I guess you are a different position of you are already a Sprint customer =(

Also, from what I understand early termination fees are pro-rated, ie. if your termination fee is 200$ on a 2 year contract and you leave one year through, you only pay 100$. My friend's mom did this with AT&T and I will try to do the same when I switch to sprint.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I figure I will buy the EVO from Sprint for $450.00 non-contract so I am not locked in for 2 years and I can upgrade to another 4G phone which will likely happen.

Do you plan to do the same?

Are you currently a Sprint customer? If not then you will get a 2yr contract.

forumsid987

Banned
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

Use the upgrade in another month to get another evo and sell it on ebay. you'll make your money right back.

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Also purchasing off contract. I don't care about the money so much. I'm nuts about new cell phones and try to buy the latest and greatest.

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know of a good place to sell a Google IO Evo outside of Ebay? I hate their fees and think almost 10% is crazy. I preordered my Evo and have no need for this one.

PhilR8

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought one of the Google io Evos on eBay for 600... I figure the month of free service makes up for the extra $150 I paid over the non contract price. I'm typing this on my Evo now... I love this thing.

Last edited:

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Like PhilR8 above, I bought a Google IO EVO and the extra 2 weeks of playing and the free month of service (including hotspot that my kids have been using for their iPod Touches) is worth the early adopter fee...

However... I called Sprint and was poking around about plans. Even if you bring your own phone to Sprint, they still require a 2 year contract. No month to month, no 1-year... Just a 2 year.

Therefore, if I decide that this is the phone I am going to keep, I will simply sign up for new service, get the subsidized phone for $200, transfer the service to the IMEI on my Google IO phone (avoiding having to re-install/download/setup the new phone) and sell the new one I just got with the service plan for whatever I can get (Hopefully $400).

I am assuming this will work. In the long run, I will be out a bit, but I definitely have been enjoying the EVO and the service.

I am assuming this will all work OK? Thoughts?

Frado

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I am debating as to buy off contract or wait until July >< ..do i wait or to i take the plunge and pay the full amount...

epphllps

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Like PhilR8 above, I bought a Google IO EVO and the extra 2 weeks of playing and the free month of service (including hotspot that my kids have been using for their iPod Touches) is worth the early adopter fee...

However... I called Sprint and was poking around about plans. Even if you bring your own phone to Sprint, they still require a 2 year contract. No month to month, no 1-year... Just a 2 year.

Therefore, if I decide that this is the phone I am going to keep, I will simply sign up for new service, get the subsidized phone for $200, transfer the service to the IMEI on my Google IO phone (avoiding having to re-install/download/setup the new phone) and sell the new one I just got with the service plan for whatever I can get (Hopefully $400).

I am assuming this will work. In the long run, I will be out a bit, but I definitely have been enjoying the EVO and the service.

I am assuming this will all work OK? Thoughts?

That's exactly what I will do if I still have my Google I/O Evo on release day. I would like to get my $530 back personally, but at worst I'd sell it for $450 plus the tax of the state I am shipping it to :) It is brand new after all and if they are a new Sprint customer without a current discount option they can get $10 off their monthly bill.