Just played with a unit at Radio Shack

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I was driving and I happened to pass a radio shack. I turned around and decided I'd stop in (right before they were closing).. I asked the manager (who looked to be a real a-hole) if they had one in.. Then I look down by his hand and boom, there it was!! He ended up being a really nice guy and showed me it and let me play around w/ it while they were closing up.

Let me say a couple things:

1) This device is built STURDY.. I mean its ROCK solid. I was completely surprised.
2) Its extremely heavy.. Some people will not like this, but I do as it feels rock solid as stated above. I'm 100% positive that this will be a huge turn off for some people. Why? It really is that heavy. I can't imagine holding this thing up for over 45min (as sad as that sounds)
3) The screen is gorgeous.. Its bright and the videos on the net don't justify how beautiful it truly is.
4) Its responsive. My buddy had his iphone 3gs (i know i know) and the screen was just as responsive if not more.
5) The accelerometer isn't as responsive as the Pre or the iPhone. In-fact, I'm pretty shocked on how jerky it is. There is an app for Android (I forget the name) that gives it animation which will take away from the jerkiness of the rotations.
6) Its very fast. When you do something, it responds immediately. No p*ssing around, no waiting, it just happens quickly.
7) The camera is OKAY. It truly is nice, but its nothing to brag about. The camera was already scratched up from sitting on its back, I noticed this immediately and was completely shocked because they just got it in yesterday. BE CAREFUL!
8) The kickstand is sturdy and is spring loaded. Very nice add-on and really adds that little "touch" to make it that much better
9) The front Facing camera is awesome.. Picture quality is good. It does suffer from the mirror effect.
10) The SD card in it also suffered from many errors. I have a feeling this is going to cause a lot of trouble for people who don't buy another one to replace it. I think that Sprint/Radio Shack/Best Buy should provide a replacement and request a refund from HTC or Sprint Corporate because this is unacceptable IMHO.

If you have any questions, please ask, but I'm sure the other users that already have them answered them already :)

8tech

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I call my local RS stores every day to see if they have it out for demo. I think one of the managers already recognizes my voice. She doesn't seem to polite anymore.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Pre accelerometer better than the EVO? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol okay.. I had both phones there, google open on the browser and turned them at the same time.. even turned the evo first at one point and then the pre and the pre still caught up with it. It is what it is, sorry you didn't like my response about it.. Other than that small aspect, the evo crushes the pre in every way.

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate your post. I want to comment all all of what you said :)

1) It is sturdy indeed.
2) The iPhone 3G is 4.8 ounces, and the EVO is 6. That is an increase of around 20%, which I shouldn't be bad. It has a kickstand which I suppose helps.
3) The screen, and I have show friends this, is basically an electric photograph. It also does well on various angles.
4) Agreed
5) This is HTC Sense's fault.
6) Agreed.
7) I have yet to scratch my lense, but I have babied the **** out of it.
8) It is sturdy, but be careful with it. If you aren't careful it will spring in on you and drop the phone. This is especially true if you have the usb cable dangling from it with ANY amount of weight.
9) I thus far had the front camera, but that is my fault. My office is always low light and the front camera hates low light, as do all pinhole cameras. But under proper lighting it is quite impressive.
10) I totally agree. If I hadn't broke my phone budget buying this phone on eBay for a headstart I would have a new big SD card and no more complaints. For now I have to deal with the POS. I imagine it will get the job done for the time being, but it's not ideal.

I can tell all of you this about the EVO. Kill sense and use the launcher. Sense is choppy ****. It's pretty ans has some nice apps, but it slows down everything. The only really noticeable slowdown is a jerk in scrolling. Even the menu pages have a delay in scrolling, but using the launcher I seem to have eliminated that. I have also installed my ZAGG Maximum Protection screen today. Took a while buy I'm happy. So you guys know, the front pieces 3 and 4 should be swapped. If you install #4 in the place you are instructed to, it will cover the power button :).

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate your post. I want to comment all all of what you said :)

1) It is sturdy indeed.
2) The iPhone 3G is 4.8 ounces, and the EVO is 6. That is an increase of around 20%, which I shouldn't be bad. It has a kickstand which I suppose helps.
3) The screen, and I have show friends this, is basically an electric photograph. It also does well on various angles.
4) Agreed
5) This is HTC Sense's fault.
6) Agreed.
7) I have yet to scratch my lense, but I have babied the **** out of it.
8) It is sturdy, but be careful with it. If you aren't careful it will spring in on you and drop the phone. This is especially true if you have the usb cable dangling from it with ANY amount of weight.
9) I thus far had the front camera, but that is my fault. My office is always low light and the front camera hates low light, as do all pinhole cameras. But under proper lighting it is quite impressive.
10) I totally agree. If I hadn't broke my phone budget buying this phone on eBay for a headstart I would have a new big SD card and no more complaints. For now I have to deal with the POS. I imagine it will get the job done for the time being, but it's not ideal.

I can tell all of you this about the EVO. Kill sense and use the launcher. Sense is choppy ****. It's pretty ans has some nice apps, but it slows down everything. The only really noticeable slowdown is a jerk in scrolling. Even the menu pages have a delay in scrolling, but using the launcher I seem to have eliminated that. I have also installed my ZAGG Maximum Protection screen today. Took a while buy I'm happy. So you guys know, the front pieces 3 and 4 should be swapped. If you install #4 in the place you are instructed to, it will cover the power button :).

Thanks for some more info :) Much appreciated!

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
In the words of the great Borat
borat-very-nice.jpg

bigbruza5

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i got a chance to molest one yesterday and no matter how much someone talks about it or how many reviews you read or how many videos you watch, you have to experience this phone in person. it may be because i played college football, i have just a tad bit of strenght lol, but the evo felt slightly heavier than my hero with a gel skin on it. to each it's own i guess.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i got a chance to molest one yesterday and no matter how much someone talks about it or how many reviews you read or how many videos you watch, you have to experience this phone in person. it may be because i played college football, i have just a tad bit of strenght lol, but the evo felt slightly heavier than my hero with a gel skin on it. to each it's own i guess.

Yea it doesn't bother me. I'm 6'2 220lbs.. I work out etc.. Not that it matters, but it just feels heavy for a phone.. I love it, but some may not

bigbruza5

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yea it doesn't bother me. I'm 6'2 220lbs.. I work out etc.. Not that it matters, but it just feels heavy for a phone.. I love it, but some may not

because of my profession they told me i can come in everyday and play with it. they let me go in the back. they told me that the don't get trained on it until thursday. i told them i could train them. lol

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site

Lol, here we go... I am 6' 3", 245LBS, 12% body fat. Work out 4 time a week. BUT... I cannot hold a phone (no matter what size or weight) up to my ear for 10 mins without my biceps getting sore. I have to keep switching hands. I use a bluetooth ear piece 99% of the time. If it wasn't for the bluetooth, my cell phone calls would be no more than 5 mins. I'll do the same with the EVO.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Lol, here we go... I am 6' 3", 245LBS, 12% body fat. Work out 4 time a week. BUT... I cannot hold a phone (no matter what size or weight) up to my ear for 10 mins without my biceps getting sore. I have to keep switching hands. I use a bluetooth ear piece 99% of the time. If it wasn't for the bluetooth, my cell phone calls would be no more than 5 mins. I'll do the same with the EVO.

??? Did you not get the point that I like the heft of the phone? I'm stating that "Some" may not.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site

You could weight lift with the phone. See it has more added functionality everyday.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
What are you some kinda of wimp calling a 6 oz phone extremely heavy? thats a pretty heavy word the describe 6 oz. This phone is .6 oz heavier than the hd2 and .61 lighter than the touch pro2.

Last edited: