Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 204
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Discuss Tips to Maximize Battery Life Here!

    Sorry to the Mods for plugging a different site, but I found a thread of a guy that got:

    61 hrs of use with 24% of battery remaining

    He explains his usage patterns, how he set up Advanced Task Killer, etc. on an Evo prior to doing his test.

    Tip-Trick: 61 hours, 24% battery remaining - Android Forums

    You might bookmark that page for reference after next Friday to optimize your battery life.
    Thanked by 4:
  2. #2  

    Default

    thats a good write up!
  3. #3  
    Yourdogsdead's Avatar

    Posts
    1,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    That's amazing. Seriously, I thought the phone had good battery life before but now that is just damn magic. Is he a wizard?
    </awesome>
  4. #4  

    Default

    Thanks, that was a really good find. I will do things like that, but at first I will be playing so it won't matter. It will be okay for the first few days for me to keep it plugged in.
    By By AT&T, I have Me an EVO. To me, the Phone of all Phones.
    Sae's Apps My EVO is sporting: CM7.1.
  5. #5  

    Default

    wow, i don't need my phone to last this long, but i will take some of his tips and adjust them to my own needs. nice.
  6. #6  

    Default

    What impact does HTC Sense have on the battery vs. stock Android? I'd imagine running that weather animation each time the phone is turned on isn't helping battery life.
  7. #7  
    Yourdogsdead's Avatar

    Posts
    1,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    He basically turned off all the eye candy and stuff. It's still pretty damn impressive though.
    </awesome>
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    He basically turned off all the eye candy and stuff. It's still pretty damn impressive though.
    Agreed. It's an example of the "extreme" battery saving mode. I bet that terrible iPhone fanboy's review is the other end of the spectrum with tons and tons of widgets open.

    I'm with skullsdontfade - I'll use his techniques and find my own mix of what I want running. Having some widgets running is part of the beauty of the phone...

    At least we know what to do now when our batteries are dying earlier than we wished.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Wow, i'm even more excited!! I'll have no idea what I'm doing as this will be my 1st android phone, but I'll sure as hell have fun learning!
  10. #10  

    Default

    so in summary for me -

    1. Turn off 4G and hotspot.
    2. Turn screen brightness to low or medium. disables auto brightness.
    3. Settings Wireless and Networks, Wi-Fi Settings, <menu button> Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Never.

    i'm not sure about the 4G off. i live in a 4G market so i'm hoping i can leave it on. will have to test.

    regarding the Gmail app, at this point i think i prefer it over K9 so will try to stick with the Gmail app.
  11. #11  
    Yourdogsdead's Avatar

    Posts
    1,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    so in summary for me -

    1. Turn off 4G and hotspot.
    2. Turn screen brightness to low or medium. disables auto brightness.
    3. Settings Wireless and Networks, Wi-Fi Settings, <menu button> Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Never.

    i'm not sure about the 4G off. i live in a 4G market so i'm hoping i can leave it on. will have to test.

    regarding the Gmail app, at this point i think i prefer it over K9 so will try to stick with the Gmail app.
    I heard that Wimax uses about the same amount of power as Wifi since they are the same. The problem though is signal strength which varies widely over a given area. Leaving it on all the time may kill battery.
    </awesome>
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    I heard that Wimax uses about the same amount of power as Wifi since they are the same. The problem though is signal strength which varies widely over a given area. Leaving it on all the time may kill battery.
    Yes, why not just turn off wifi using the widget and then turn it on only when needed?
  13. #13  

    Default

    In his article he also said to use a task killer...which after reading an article about how task killer's do more damage then they do good. I've changed my perspective on. In my Evo i def will not be installing any type of task killers. But i will take some of what dude said into consideration. Good find!
  14. #14  
    dwhitman's Avatar

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    I heard that Wimax uses about the same amount of power as Wifi since they are the same. The problem though is signal strength which varies widely over a given area. Leaving it on all the time may kill battery.
    That doesn't sound right to me. WiFi and Wimax are very different. I strongly suspect that WiFi uses significantly less power than either Wimax or 3G.

    WiFi is designed for short range, semi-permanent connections: it doesn't need much power because of the range assumption, and needs less "handshaking" communication to maintain the connection since both ends assume that the other is more-or-less staying put in one place.

    OTOH, Wimax and 3G both use a remote tower, and need to assume that you're a moving target that might be driving from one tower's area to another. More power to connect to a remote receiver (this is a big effect - remember signal strength goes as r^2), and more communication needed for handshaking, even when you're not actively moving data.
  15. #15  
    dwhitman's Avatar

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

    Default

    Author of that article also seems to believe that he is saving power by maximizing the number of black pixels on his screen.:rolleyes:

    On a LCD.

    *sigh*
  16. #16  
    Yourdogsdead's Avatar

    Posts
    1,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    That doesn't sound right to me. WiFi and Wimax are very different. I strongly suspect that WiFi uses significantly less power than either Wimax or 3G.

    WiFi is designed for short range, semi-permanent connections: it doesn't need much power because of the range assumption, and needs less "handshaking" communication to maintain the connection since both ends assume that the other is more-or-less staying put in one place.

    OTOH, Wimax and 3G both use a remote tower, and need to assume that you're a moving target that might be driving from one tower's area to another. More power to connect to a remote receiver (this is a big effect - remember signal strength goes as r^2), and more communication needed for handshaking, even when you're not actively moving data.
    Let me clarify. They are similar, based on the 802.xx spec. LTE and 3G are not.
    </awesome>
  17. #17  
    dwhitman's Avatar

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    Let me clarify. They are similar, based on the 802.xx spec. LTE and 3G are not.
    Point taken. But that doesn't say how much power the radio will need to make a connection.
  18. #18  
    Yourdogsdead's Avatar

    Posts
    1,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Point taken. But that doesn't say how much power the radio will need to make a connection.
    True, but I am assuming that since it's based off of Wifi it will use less power than 3G. I have no idea where to find this info though.
    </awesome>
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolirocks View Post
    Yes, why not just turn off wifi using the widget and then turn it on only when needed?
    we are talking about leaving WIMAX/4G on all the time since in theory you could use it "all the time". the big benefits of 4G is obviously the SPEED but also the simultaneous Voice+Data.

    agreed on wifi to only turn it on when needed (if ever).
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genisis View Post
    In his article he also said to use a task killer...which after reading an article about how task killer's do more damage then they do good. I've changed my perspective on. In my Evo i def will not be installing any type of task killers. But i will take some of what dude said into consideration. Good find!
    agreed. i don't plan on using any task killers.
  21. #21  
    dwhitman's Avatar

    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    we are talking about leaving WIMAX/4G on all the time since in theory you could use it "all the time". the big benefits of 4G is obviously the SPEED but also the simultaneous Voice+Data.

    agreed on wifi to only turn it on when needed (if ever).
    I think you'd probably be better off doing exactly the opposite, at least when in range of a WiFi hotspot. Turn off 4G reserving it only for times when you need the speed and don't have WiFi access. WiFi lets you have voice/data at the same time, and almost certainly uses less power than 4G.

    Obviously if you spend most of your time in range of 4g and out of range of wifi, I'd change my recommendation. But if you've got WiFi access, it's almost certainly less power hungry.
  22. #22  

    Default

    We're going to be inundated with real-world reports of how users in different areas are seeing their batteries run down. For me, I'll be running the Evo either at home or at work, both in strong wifi zones, and I don't live in a 4G area right now. I'll only have the option of 3G, and I'll only be using that when I'm out on the town. I'm also pretty miserly with screen brightness, apps, etc., and my phone will (regrettably) be sitting idle for a lot of the day anyway. I expect to get more than a couple of days between charges if I forget to plug in for the night.
  23. #23  

    Default

    1. turn off 4G.
    2. turn off WIFI
    3. turn off hotspot.
    4. Turn screen brightness to low. (put setting under checkmark)
    5. Settings Wireless and Networks, Wi-Fi Settings, <menu button> Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Never.
    6. turn off all haptic feedback - keys, keyboard, etc.
    7. log out of Google Talk.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. turn off 4G.
    2. turn off WIFI
    3. turn off hotspot.
    4. Turn screen brightness to low. (put setting under checkmark)
    5. Settings Wireless and Networks, Wi-Fi Settings, <menu button> Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Never.
    6. turn off all haptic feedback - keys, keyboard, etc.
    7. log out of Google Talk.
    This may sound extremely silly, but i can't for the life of me figure how to turn off all haptic feedback, specifically on the keyboards...what am i doing wrong? Or can you just not turn off haptic feedback on keyboards
  25. #25  
    akarol's Avatar

    Posts
    458 Posts
    Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

    Default

    Call me crazy, but I bought this phone to use it. If I'm going to mimic BB then I'd have bought a BB. I leave everything on and just kill some tasks with ATK here and there and I'm getting a full day. That's more than fine with me.
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions