Android 2.2 Froyo ported to HTC Evo 4G already

anjsch

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh sweet jesus! This is a big relief; I had decided just last night not to get the Evo because I don't want to spend one to two years dealing with the horror that is Sense. Looks like I shall get it after all. :)

cesjr02

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh sweet jesus! This is a big relief; I had decided just last night not to get the Evo because I don't want to spend one to two years dealing with the horror that is Sense. Looks like I shall get it after all. :)

you know you can turn off the Sense UI, correct?

anjsch

May 29, 2010
Visit site
sense cantbe turned off only the sense launcher but u still gete black notification bar and plenty of other sense interface aspects are still there

Correct. Even after "turning off", you still get the Sense keyboard. Also, Sense comes with a different browser. And Camera. And Gallery. And more. HTC messed with all the default apps.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
If you root your Evo, can it be undone? Say, I root it and I don't like how it works...

is there any way to make it back to factory default settings so no one would ever know you rooted it? Thanks

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site
From experience....im just gonna wait for the official update to come. I rooted my g1 and put a custom rom on it...worked fine for a few months then it went haywire. Couldnt take it off and thus couldnt get it replaced since I breached warranty. Didnt mind experimenting on my g1, But I def wont experiment on a phone I've been waiting for so long to get.

PinkoCommie

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
So if you root and flash a custom ROM, how would you get it back to stock? Is it a somewhat automated tool (like WebOS Doctor is on WebOS)? Do you download an image from HTC? Do you first have to back up your own ROM image before you re-flash, so that you have a way of getting it back? What's the process like?

Part of the attraction of a phone like this to me (as opposed to Apple products, which are very refined, but very "closed") is that you can mess with it. It would give me comfort to know that if I don't like what I did, I can always go back to the beginning relatively easily.

--PinkoCommie

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Sense is actually built into the kernel, so it can't be turned off. Basically, the "turning off" most people talk about it, is simply just shutting down the Sense Launcher.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So if you root and flash a custom ROM, how would you get it back to stock? Is it a somewhat automated tool (like WebOS Doctor is on WebOS)? Do you download an image from HTC? Do you first have to back up your own ROM image before you re-flash, so that you have a way of getting it back? What's the process like?

Part of the attraction of a phone like this to me (as opposed to Apple products, which are very refined, but very "closed") is that you can mess with it. It would give me comfort to know that if I don't like what I did, I can always go back to the beginning relatively easily.

--PinkoCommie

I would be very interested in knowing this as well....

I've read where people who rooted their G1 couldn't get it back to its factory state invalidating warranty

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site
From what i remember you like for G1's you just flash the original image. For that phone it would be the dream image back on the phone and do a factory wipe. It'll take you back to RC29...and then theres a process where you can unroot your phone as well. Not too sure what the exact process is. Problem with mine was i rooted put a custom rom on it...it started actin funny and before i could fix it my daughter dropped my phone. I couldnt use the correct buttons to flash the dream image back on the phone so i was stuck. Which is why im eager to get this evo...and will not be putting a custom rom on it.

longbow

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Being new to Android, are OS updates available or is what's loaded when you get the phone what you live with?

I was contemplating waiting until the Evo came with 2.2 before making the switch. Is there a timeline for the release of 2.2?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois