Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Should I be disappointed? Screen color availability!

    Can anyone explain why screen resolution matters more than available colors?

    The Evo has a 480 x 800 res screen but only ~65k colors. A palm Pre has over 16 million colors available to it. Heck, my old POS Instinct had over 262k colors.

    Clearly the Evo's resolution beats both of the others, but why wouldn't designers give it the color palate to match -- especially if it's supposed to be the premiere media device available now? Is battery life the fly in the ointment with this issue?

    Thoughts?
  2. #2  

    Default

    I'm not well versed on the 'colors available' subject, but I'd like to know this as well. How will this effect the display? I currently have a Palm Pre.
  3. #3  

    Default

    i read somewhere that this is BS. i can't recall where though.
  4. #4  
    ZDriver's Avatar

    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly

    Default

    I dont even think the human eye can decipher 16.7 million colors! I personally would rather look at 65k colors than have to replace this Pre 1 more freakin time!! 7 now in 11.5 months! woooooooooooooooooooo
  5. #5  

    Default

    I think this explains it really well:


    (if you get bored with the technical, jump down to "Enough mumbo jumbo. What does this really mean?")
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Found a good discussion on this topic . See post #46 for a good depiction.
  7. #7  

    Default

    All that matters to me is the bottom line.

    And that is in numerous reviews noone and I mean noone had had to metion the drabless , colorless and totally washed out compared to any ol' phone that came out 2 years ago Screen of the EVO.

    In one review in comparing it to the incredible it was said to look just as good. I'm gonna go find it. BRB.......
  8. #8  

    Default

    Having used the Evo for a decent amount of time, comparing it to my Pre, Hero and iPhone... no one should be worrying at all IRT colors. The colors are vibrant and pop. If anything, I'd say there is less washout from the Evo than with an iPhone.
  9. #9  
    MannyZ28's Avatar

    Posts
    2,560 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    This was an issue back in the 80s when all we had was 16 colors, then jumped up to 256. And while the numerical difference between 65k and 16 million colors is significant, I doubt you will ever be able to see the difference, espcially at such a small screen size. I was blown away at how good the Pre looked when I first layed my eyes on it, but I think that was mostly due to the increase from resolution coming from my Sprint Touch.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Yep, resolution is what you need at this size screen. I am almost certain that the dithering is enough to satisfy any image *****. Coming from a Pre, you might notice more banding... but the Hero is one of the best 16 bit 65k screens I've ever used, and honestly, the transition I do daily from that to my Pre is almost unnoticeable.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Should I be disappointed? Screen color availability!

    The first thing I noticed about my evo was the difference in colors compared to my incredible. To me it was VERY noticeable and if you put them side by side and say they are the same I will gladly call BS. The difference is very dramatic but I will still be taking my incredible back and sticking with the evo. So yes...washed out colors for the evo.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  12. #12  

    Default

    Why does it matter. Your getting the best phone to date......
  13. #13  
    MannyZ28's Avatar

    Posts
    2,560 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmercedes22 View Post
    Why does it matter. Your getting the best phone to date......
    Because us Smartphone junkies want a device with no drawbacks, no weak points, a Phone where your average Apple Fan can try and convince us his fruit phone is better and we will have the ammo to shut him down.

    That's why.

    It's kinda like having an insanely hot gf, with a minor, but weird deformity?
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
    I think this explains it really well:


    (if you get bored with the technical, jump down to "Enough mumbo jumbo. What does this really mean?")
    In case you did not see it, from that link:

    It has a link to this program that lets you load a picture and compare it in original(24), 12, 18 and 24 bits. (The App requires that you have .net 2.0+ installed.) You probably already have it installed.



    Someone posted several pictures from that program here for you to compare.


    I think the Evo will be just fine.... ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 05-31-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks
  15. #15  
    dannydos's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arin View Post
    I dont even think the human eye can decipher 16.7 million colors! I personally would rather look at 65k colors than have to replace this Pre 1 more freakin time!! 7 now in 11.5 months! woooooooooooooooooooo

    hahaha im on my 7th too.....im so sick and tired of having to reinstall all the patches to make this phone usable.
  16. #16  
    MannyZ28's Avatar

    Posts
    2,560 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    hahaha im on my 7th too.....im so sick and tired of having to reinstall all the patches to make this phone usable.
    In retrospect, I don't understand myself right now, why was I such a Pre fan? It's not like I hate the phone now, but the constant waiting and laggyness, and the constant need to restart the phone to play a 3d game is really getting to me. I remember being excited about it, but once I had it, I never really felt that giddy about it, maybe because so many things were missing at the beginning, things like video recording, visual voice mail, and a notification light! Also, reading about all the hardware issues made me afraid to use my phone, and sure enough, mine had the blotchy screen issue.

    Good riddance Pre! Hello Evo! I think I am well prepared for the short comings that the Evo may have, thanks to this forum, and YouTube! lol
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    In retrospect, I don't understand myself right now, why was I such a Pre fan? It's not like I hate the phone now, but the constant waiting and laggyness, and the constant need to restart the phone to play a 3d game is really getting to me. I remember being excited about it, but once I had it, I never really felt that giddy about it, maybe because so many things were missing at the beginning, things like video recording, visual voice mail, and a notification light! Also, reading about all the hardware issues made me afraid to use my phone, and sure enough, mine had the blotchy screen issue.

    Good riddance Pre! Hello Evo! I think I am well prepared for the short comings that the Evo may have, thanks to this forum, and YouTube! lol
    I felt the same way (giddy) in anticipation for the Pre release. But in all fairness, WebOS was a brand new platform that definitely had the polish but felt very "version 1". The EVO is built on an established platform that has all the necessary SDK already available.

    I love WebOS for what it does, but the hardware and SDK is holding it back for now. I hope it's still around and more established in 2-3 years for me to consider going back. Although, by then, who knows how far Android will have advanced.
  18. #18  
    MannyZ28's Avatar

    Posts
    2,560 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    I felt the same way (giddy) in anticipation for the Pre release. But in all fairness, WebOS was a brand new platform that definitely had the polish but felt very "version 1". The EVO is built on an established platform that has all the necessary SDK already available.

    I love WebOS for what it does, but the hardware and SDK is holding it back for now. I hope it's still around and more established in 2-3 years for me to consider going back. Although, by then, who knows how far Android will have advanced.
    I just remembered why I wasn't as excited after I actually had the Pre in my hands, it was because there was nothing new to do with it after you were done setting up due to the lack of apps. It kinda felt like a dumbphone despite it being a smartphone.
  19. #19  
    Yourdogsdead's Avatar

    Posts
    1,363 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    I noticed they said the limitation is due to the 32 bit architecture of the CPU. I then looked up the Evo's Snapdragon, which is ARM based, and saw that it was strictly a 32 bit architecture. Is it not possible the problem can be alienated by jumping to a 64 bit processor?
    </awesome>

Posting Permissions

B