What phone did you previously have, and why are you switching to the Evo 4G?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had the Palm Pre before (got it 6-5-09), launch day, waiting in line, etc., and am switching to the Evo 4G because I am sick of how slow Palm is as a company, dishing out updates that don't fix the missing functionality and generally slow to open up their SDK/PDK, etc., so that is why I will be moving from the Pre.

I like the Evo 4G because of the screen size (big plus) and the reason why I hated touch-screen only phones in the past, was because the screen sizes were so small. I used to have the original HTC Touch and then the HTC Touch Diamond and grown to hate them because the screens were so small to touch type on.

Another reason is that the multimedia features seem to be pretty good, with HDMI-out, video recording, front-facing video camera!, and the kickstand feature. Should be really nice!

I have tried Android out in the past (my second line is a Samsung Moment) and while it seems cumbersome, I think I'll get used to it. I don't think any mobile OS is as good as the way WebOS handles everything (despite having slowdowns and lag). I am looking at whatever Palm releases next, to see if the hardware quality improves though.

For now, it's the Evo 4G.

**Notice how I don't mention 4G capabilities? I could care less! The closest city that has 4G is Chicago, but it's not a deal-breaker, by any means, and by the time the US gets decent coverage, there will be better 4G phones out.

What are your thoughts! Share!

DocPeanut

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Blackberry Curve 8330. Served a good purpose which was to get me into the smart phones.

Got tired of replacing the trackball every few months. I was ready to jump to Verizon when all of a sudden I heard about this glorious EVO rumored to be coming to Sprint.

Because of this, I stayed on with Sprint. My wife also has the curve 8330, she said she'll check my EVO out before deciding if she wants one herself. I've already ordered her a pink Seidio case lol, I know my wife very well.

IamTheCord

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Palm Pre / Sprint Hero

Got the pre on launch broke 5, the sprint store gave me the hero and i have been waiting for the Supersonic/Evo since

JoshK

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm switching from a BB 8830. It's not much smaller or lighter than the Evo, and I'm sure I don't have to explain the difference in features. It will be a long time before I see 4G, but I don't care. . .this phone is amazing.

ZRsDad

May 31, 2010
Visit site
LG Muziq (seriously!) and then the Hero for 3 weeks.

Got the LG Muziq 2 1/2 years ago, and thought it was really cool at the time. (FM transmitter - thought it was the answer to portable music - until I found it had a reliable range of about 2 feet. Thought about taping it to my antenna, though.)

Bought the Hero last December. Loved it and Sense, but then I started reading about all that was to come out in 2010, and I returned it. I've been waiting since mid-December for the right phone, and this one's gonna be EVO-lutionary!!

Love the form factor, the screen size, and mostly Sense. Not particularly interested in the hot-spot feature, but luckily it's optional.

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
BB Tour. Was getting real bored with the BB OS, had a curve previously 8330. Comparing BB to other devices the BB was inferior, was about to hop on the iphone again but thats when I saw this bad boy in action and fell in love.. Bye BB, keep this up and you will be the next Palm..

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Palm III, IIIx, V, m505, m515, T/T, T3, T5*, Treo 600*, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro 64MB, Palm Pre*, Centro 128

* Returned/Rejected.

tadrscin#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
BB Curve 8330 for both me and my wife. We've never had any problems with them, but doing some things like surfing the web really sucks. We'll both be looking forward to a faster phone with a much larger screen. 4G is just an added bonus.

ndrd_ct

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Being on sprint for about 5 or 6 years now . Went through Sanyo scp-xxxx ( very decent phone , lasted me a few years , at the end battery was getting real ****ty ) , sanyo S1 ( lacks features but still is a solid phone , good loudspeaker , good call quality , small ) .

In september 2009 i took BB pearl 8130 ( needed google maps + nav ) . I cannot belive that at the time i payed 179$ for this outdated smartphone . 2 months later Hero came out , being just a few bucks more expensive . BBs are very easy to learn . The only bad things are impossible browser experience and the HOURGLASS . Also BB OS gets old real fast . And ive had my BB delete all my contacts out of the blue one time ...

tp2386

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Palm Pre. I love WebOS but I just cant stand this crappy hardware. I have a feeling that next year i'll be coming back to WebOS if the hardware is up to point.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the Pre.

Where do I start? Was super excited about it, but after having it in my hands and after setting up email and contacts, I was bored. Nothing else to do with it. There were 12 apps in the catalog, and they weren't coming fast. Thinking back to when the App Catalog came out of Beta, I was excited about the comment "The flood gates will now open"....that turned out to be a joke. Whenever I look at the 2300 or so apps and scroll through them, all I see is crap. Same stuff over and over again.

I didn't have many hardware issues with my second Pre which was not a refurb unit but instead a new one. It had some screen blotchiness after prelonged YouTube use, and the oreo effect wasn't too bad, but other than that, it has no problems.

The one app that I use frequently also seems to be the culprit behind why I seem to get more TMC errors than most people. It seems to me that NewsRoom leaves behind a giant memory leak, to the point that even without playing any 3d games, having two browser windows open is too much of a challenge for my Sprint Pre. Bad programming or not, the TMC thing is rediculous.

Laggyness. It has its mystical moments of speed, but for the most part, my Pre is a lag fest! Google maps takes about as long to start up as it takes the Evo to boot (45s according to two videos that I timed with my stop watch), and recently, going to a contact, clicking on their address will cause Google Maps to open, but not show the address of the contact but instead my own location...yay...Google Maps is getting worse on the Pre with every new iteration. While that's not Palms fault, it's part of the experience I have with the Pre, so I can't help but count it against it. Emails take forever to load and on many occasions the Pre just decides that my log in credentials aren't right and lets me know about it to....a few minutes later it will change its mind again and I get email again.

Multitasking....that ties in with the TMC error. I can forget about having multiple apps open on this thing to save myself the time for having to wait for apps to open individually on a as needed basis. To me, 7 homescreens and a bunch of strategically placed widgets will replace that whole card system the Pre has. Flicking cards off the screen is cool and all, but not when you know that the memory that app you just closed is not being returned to the OS. Nothing like getting a TMC error with only one, or sometimes even with no cards open. Launching a 3d game is like russian roulette on this thing.

I could go on, but do you guys really wanna read about ALL my complaints?

Looking forward to a fast phone, with a huge screen, great camera, and being able to play games without rebooting for 2.5 minutes. Oh yeah....did I mention the Pre takes an eternity to reboot? A real bummer seeing how often you have to do it!

cl191

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Palm Pre.

I am the same as tp2386, I love WebOS but got annoyed by the hardware. Furthermore, I don't like the apps. The quantity is not really what bothers me, but it's the quality of the apps that bothers me. I am tired of all the "GPS apps", "fart apps", "hot girls apps", and then of course there's the Brighthouse spam, there's simply nothing useful or well made in the App Catalog.

May be one day I will come back to a WebOS device. I really love the multitasking UI.

Spyderfry

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Palm pre. I want a massive screen and something that is FAST out of the box. I'm a gadget whore and need new stuff every few months. I just got an iPad. That should tide me over until I'm upgrade eligible in a couple of months.

Spyderfry

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Palm Pre.

I am the same as tp2386, I love WebOS but got annoyed by the hardware. Furthermore, I don't like the apps. The quantity is not really what bothers me, but it's the quality of the apps that bothers me. I am tired of all the "GPS apps", "fart apps", "hot girls apps", and then of course there's the Brighthouse spam, there's simply nothing useful or well made in the App Catalog.

May be one day I will come back to a WebOS device. I really love the multitasking UI.

I'm glad I'm not the only palm pre owner looking to get out from under a horrifically designed phone. WebOS is the best OS I've used IMHO. If only the EVO could run it...;)

spider415

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Blackberry tour, and a curve 8330 before that. I'm making the switch because browsing suck on a blackberry. The evo just seems more entertaining.

lshelmir

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Blackberry Curve 8310 (AT&T), just like spider browsing sucks on the BB, I was amazed at how much better it is on a Pixi. I didn't want to buy a 3Gs, but wanted something more media oriented. The blackberry is bulletproof, and water tight. But I want something more.

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Treo Pro. I don't change carriers for phones, and my only Android options were the Moment and the Hero before the Evo. I don't like sliders (hence no Moment or Touch Pro 2), and the Hero felt just as sluggish as the Treo Pro when I tried it in the store. I wasn't as disgusted with Windows Mobile as most people are, but 6.5 seemed like a step backwards from 6.1, and don't get me started on the limitations of Windows Phone 7 (no copy/paste, no true multitasking, no sideloading, no memory card support); so the Evo was a pretty clear choice.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Another Prefuge here. I'm just gonna C&P what I posted on the "What EVO 4G Needs" thread:

If [multi-tasking] actually worked in the real world consistently, I wouldn't be counting the days until I can replace my launch Pre with an EVO. On a good day, I've had email, web, Twitter, and messaging open simultaneously and bouncing between them was a joy. Now, however, the all-too-normal condition is to open a basic web page (e.g. IMDB) and within 10 minutes, getting a Too Many Cards alert or, as happened to me just now, getting an email, clicking the link to a page, and TMCing to a dead halt. Sure, rebooting sometimes helps, but that's 3+ minutes of downtime while the slowest-booting phone ever winds itself back up. (The first thing I looked for in Google I/O unboxing videos was the boot time of the EVO which looks to be about 40 seconds.) I hear the Pre Plus was much better for TMC and lag, but that's academic for me; Sprint doesn't have it, so it's like hearing a friend's mom doesn't make dry pot roast for Sunday dinner.

The Pre and webOS is like having a beautiful girlfriend with a personality that meshes with yours, but has an uncontrollable urge to ritually sacrifice your pets and leaps on the coffee table, hikes her skirt, and take a massive dump when you have company over. As much as you'd like to keep the things you enjoy, the demerits are just unacceptable to live with.

Four days to go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC