EVO - Outlook - Gmail???

jeremyblaney

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My name is Jeremy and I'm a former Blackberry addict. I'm going to be switching over to the EVO on Friday, but I'm a little concerned with syncing all the things that I want to sync. Right now I use Gmail with Outlook (IMAP). And from what I can tell I can use HTC's software to continue to sync my EVO with Outlook much as I have been with my Blackberry (at least contacts and calendar).

The question I have is can I sync with Outlook AND Gmail website (calendar and contacts)???

Does anyone have any suggestions?

jeremyblaney

May 31, 2010
Visit site
you need to clarify exactly what and how you are syncing. your detail above is not specific enough.

Sync Palm Desktop, Microsoft Outlook, ACT!, Lotus Notes, GroupWise, and GoldMine with Google and your phone | CompanionLink

Basically, I'm looking to have my Gmail pushed to my android phone, much as it was with my Blackberry. I'd like to have the functionality to delete from the inbox, view e-mails that are labeled, etc. And the best way to do that is with the Gmail app that on Droids? Right?

I also want to be able to sync my calendars and contacts on Outlook, to my calendars and contacts on the EVO, to the calendar and contacts on the Gmail website? I saw that link you posted, but I heard that program was a bit unstable... do you have any opinions of it?

jeremyblaney

May 31, 2010
Visit site
When you log on to your android you can push your contacts and calendar.

Does anyone know how? I stopped in the Spring store today and he had me sign up for service today and get the HTC Hero... that way Friday I can stop in and switch out the phone (which is a much shorter process than signing up).

I'm getting my gmail pushed to the phone via the Gmail app. And I used the HTC Sync program to sync with my contacts and calendar that were on my desktop. But i'm not sure why contacts and calendar aren't showing up on Gmail online?

PlainOldMike

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When you log on to your android you can push your contacts and calendar.

Pardon me if this is a real noob question, but these will be my first Andriod phone. I was able to upload all my contacts from my Palm Treo 800W to my Google account. During initial setup of the Evo, do I just put in my Google account info and all my contacts and calendar are automatically downloaded?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Pardon me if this is a real noob question, but these will be my first Andriod phone. I was able to upload all my contacts from my Palm Treo 800W to my Google account. During initial setup of the Evo, do I just put in my Google account info and all my contacts and calendar are automatically downloaded?

yes. that's the beauty of the deal. and the free push email too.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Outlook at home, and sync my GMail calendar to Outlook using CompanionLink for Google (I don't sync mail, as I don't use GMail). It syncs to outlook then the phone syncs to GMail.. All my contacts and calendars are nice and synced up.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Basically, I'm looking to have my Gmail pushed to my android phone, much as it was with my Blackberry. I'd like to have the functionality to delete from the inbox, view e-mails that are labeled, etc. And the best way to do that is with the Gmail app that on Droids? Right?

I also want to be able to sync my calendars and contacts on Outlook, to my calendars and contacts on the EVO, to the calendar and contacts on the Gmail website? I saw that link you posted, but I heard that program was a bit unstable... do you have any opinions of it?

Go to Google Gmail > Help and search on "sync Outlook". There is a Google Apps sync tool that will basically sync Outlook with Google which in turn would sync to the EVO. I think having Google bewteen your desktop and phone is the best way to go - but I also think you have to have Google Apps to make this work - which if free too. But there is a sync tool that you can download to sync Outlook up to Google.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
why are people using companion link when there is google sync software? confused....thanks

I think there's some confusion about what contacts and calendars the OP needs to sync. Android will sync GMail e-mail, contacts and calendars out of the box. However for Exchange Activesync it only syncs e-mail. If your contacts and calendar are through GMail then no third party app is needed. However if you contacts and calendar are through Exchange (like from work or if you have your own Exchange server) then you'll need a third party solution to sync them on an Android phone. I think Froyo allows contacts and calendar syncing through Exchange (but I could be wrong), but 2.1 certainly does not.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I think there's some confusion about what contacts and calendars the OP needs to sync. Android will sync GMail e-mail, contacts and calendars out of the box. However for Exchange Activesync it only syncs e-mail. If your contacts and calendar are through GMail then no third party app is needed. However if you contacts and calendar are through Exchange (like from work or if you have your own Exchange server) then you'll need a third party solution to sync them on an Android phone. I think Froyo allows contacts and calendar syncing through Exchange (but I could be wrong), but 2.1 certainly does not.

Wait - on the Droid I have now my contacts and calendar syncs from Exchange. The calendar is separate - looks in apps and you should see "Corporate Calendar" (it does not merge with the native calendar) and the contacts are merged in with your Gmail contacts.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Wait - on the Droid I have now my contacts and calendar syncs from Exchange. The calendar is separate - looks in apps and you should see "Corporate Calendar" (it does not merge with the native calendar) and the contacts are merged in with your Gmail contacts.

Hmm, perhaps I have been mistaken then. I don't have too much experience with Android, I've been able to play around with a Droid and Hero, but the EVO will be the first Android phone I've owned. It was my understanding that Exchange Activesync would only sync e-mail and you'd need a third party solution to sync EAS contacts and calendar with the Android contacts and calendar. Maybe I'm wrong then... I know GMail will definitely sync all three.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Yep, there is a difference between playing around with them and actually having one. I learned that forum lesson long ago.

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
IAndroid will sync GMail e-mail, contacts and calendars out of the box. However for Exchange Activesync it only syncs e-mail. If your contacts and calendar are through GMail then no third party app is needed. However if you contacts and calendar are through Exchange (like from work or if you have your own Exchange server) then you'll need a third party solution to sync them on an Android phone.

This may be true of standard Android but HTC Sense improves upon it. I picked up one of the I/O EVOs and have it synced to Exchange and GMail. I have two different icons for email ... one is 'GMail' (and it does true push) and the other is 'Mail' (it also does true push using ActiveSync from the corporate Exchange server). My contacts from BOTH sources are also synced and accessible using the 'Contacts' icon. Likewise, my calendars from BOTH sources are synced and accessible using the 'Calendar' icon. All of my contacts from both sources are blended together and where there is a duplicate between Exchange and GMail/Google Contacts, they link together (and can be unlinked if I prefer). My calendar is also integrated ... Exchange in one color, GMail/Google Calendar in another color all on same view. The sync and integration of Contacts and Calendar is a HTC Sense thing. Core Android may not be able to do this.

The only disappointment I have at this point about the way EVO syncs is that I can not enter a new Google Contact and have it sync back to the cloud. Hoping that feature comes in time.

LOVE this phone! Came from a PRE and WebOS which has mastered the sync and integration of mail, contacts and calendar events from multiple sources. I think the EVO does it nicely, however.

Last edited:

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
why are people using companion link when there is google sync software? confused....thanks

When I started using CompanionLink, Google sync software didn't support multiple calendars. If it does now, that's greate, but since I've already purchased the software, might as well use it.

Clcto

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site

If your Outlook has only a few simple calendar entries, and no contacts, then Google Calendar Sync will work fine. But a lot of people have found the following:

1) CompanionLink support Outlook Contacts, and Tasks sync as well as Calendar

2) CompanionLink supports a much richer range of date types, including recurring exceptions and events that start on the "first Monday of the month".

3) CompanionLink provides free telephone technical support in case you have any questions.

4) CompanionLink works with the newest version of Outlook: Outlook 2010, both 32-bit and 64-bit. It also works with older versions like Outlook 2000 and 2002. CompanionLink works with a lot of other PC Applications like Microsoft Business Contact Manager, Palm Desktop, Lotus Notes, and ACT!

5) For Contacts, CompanionLink uses special formatting for phone numbers and other fields to suit Google Sync to phones, including iPhone, Android and Pre. For these phones, Outlook style formatting and having extensions would otherwise cause the phone numbers to be undialable on the phone.

So you are comparing a one-shot free Calendar sync that moves limited data with limited Outlook versions, to a full featured Contact, Calendar and Task sync for a dozen different platforms.

For people who value their time and data, the paid 3rd party solution may be faster and easier to use than the "free" product.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz