Evo 4G screen not turning on

mchinici

May 24, 2011
Visit site
My phone is recieving calls, but my screen is staying black and will not light up at all. Under very strong light you can see the home screen,etc VERY faintly. The 4 buttons on the bottom of the touch screen light up though. Not sure what's going on. It hasn't been dropped or gotten wet, it was just sitting on the charger. I tried taking the battery out and no difference. Any recommendations for me to try or should I just go to the repair store?:':)'(

Last edited:

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to be thorough, is the screen brightness turned down? If not I would go ahead and take it in, just to be sure. :)

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The brightness is normal. Thank you for your reply. Looks like I'll be taking it into the repair store in the morning.

Dang, sorry to hear that. No worries, might as well use the insurance you pay for each month right? :)

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

thugdrummer

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
On my phone, I use the Brightness widget from Curvefish. The auto setting for brightness doesn't seem to work if it was first set on 0% (fully dim), then switched to auto. If by 'normal', you mean auto, try setting it to full 100% brightness, then back to auto. It doesn't seem to be a problem going from full bright to auto for me. Going from low to auto also doesn't seem to be a problem when using the settings menu.

I just did a test: Using the widget, set the brightness to low, then auto - screen stays dark. Shine a flashlight into the camera on the back for 2 or 3 seconds - brightness comes up.

teejmac

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My phone is recieving calls, but my screen is staying black and will not light up at all. Under very strong light you can see the home screen,etc VERY faintly. The 4 buttons on the bottom of the touch screen light up though. Not sure what's going on. It hasn't been dropped or gotten wet, it was just sitting on the charger. I tried taking the battery out and no difference. Any recommendations for me to try or should I just go to the repair store?:':)'(

If this problem just randomly started happening, your backlight might have failed.

Try out the widget thugdrummer posted. If that doesnt do it, more and likally your backlight is no good. Usually if they have the front housing in a sprint repair center, they can fix it for you. It is a pretty quick fix. If not, your sprint repair store should be able to order you a replacement device.

But be weary, the evo's have been on backorder since december. The nationwide backorder is almost solved now and should be back in order very soon but you may be waiting an extra day or two for your replacement device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith