What Amperage do I need to Charge

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Basically every single USB port available to me has a different amperage. The wall-wart for my kindle is 4.9V 0.85A and the one with EVO is 5V 1.0A. I think the USB cigarette port I have is 500mA and my coffeecup inverter is 500mA. My question is, will lower amperage hurt my phone/battery or just charge slower? I have an extra kindle wall-wart/cable that I would like to use when I am not at home, so I can leave the cable that came with it at home. Thanks in advance

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Line-09...tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU135511

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As long as it's a standard 5.0 volt USB, it should be fine.

Lower amperage will just result in slower, or even no charging. Note that many PCs and other devices with USB ports will only put out 500ma. (Some PCs can be negotiated to provide more, but USB 2.0 spec says 500ma is max, and anything beyond that cannot be expected)

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
thanks Vincent. Yea it seems to charge fine in the car, just a little slow.

P.S. I am about to go to Wal-Mart and buy a new microsd card. This one is ****ing up once an hour now. I can't even hook it to the PC in disk mode now after a fresh reboot.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
As long as it's a standard 5.0 volt USB, it should be fine.

Lower amperage will just result in slower, or even no charging. Note that many PCs and other devices with USB ports will only put out 500ma. (Some PCs can be negotiated to provide more, but USB 2.0 spec says 500ma is max, and anything beyond that cannot be expected)

Yup, so the OP's ports that pump out only 500ma are basically equivalent to plugging it into the USB port of a computer. So, I'm basically confirming that this is safe.