Question for those who upgrade often, have had a lot of devices

newmomto1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the an Evo 4g that I have had for about almost a year and a half.
I am so ready to upgrade (for a few resons).
I went to the sprint store and found out that I am not eligable until May.
If I want a new phone sooner they said I will have to pay full price.
I am bummed I have to wait :(
But I was just curious about those of you who seem to get every new device that comes out...are you guys pating full price or am I missing something?
Just curious if there was some other way to upgrade early.
Thx!

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Question for those who upgrade often, have had a lot of devic

Many people I know who upgrade their phone often buy the new phones at full price, then sell their old device to offset the price.

teejmac

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I have the an Evo 4g that I have had for about almost a year and a half.
I am so ready to upgrade (for a few resons).
I went to the sprint store and found out that I am not eligable until May.
If I want a new phone sooner they said I will have to pay full price.
I am bummed I have to wait :(
But I was just curious about those of you who seem to get every new device that comes out...are you guys pating full price or am I missing something?
Just curious if there was some other way to upgrade early.
Thx!

If you are not eligable for an upgrade yet, the only real way to do this is to buy a phone at retail price.

If you are eligable to add another line to your account, you can add a second line and buy the phone at the discounted price and then flip flop the devices over. So your current line will have the new device on it and your new line will will have your old device.

When you do this, you are starting another two year agreement line you are going to have to pay for. If the device you have has a mail in rebate, the rebate will be void after you change the device from that line.

So, example: you are on the 129.99 family plan and you add a third line to the account. Lets say you add the epic touch, your plan will go up by $30 because of the $20 extra after the second line plus the $10 premium data fee. Plus if you add insurance that will be another $8.

It is overall cheaper to buy the phone at retail price if you really want the device. You will end up spending a lot more adding another line.

sloked

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

I am in the same boat as you. I have about six months on my contract but I am going to wait it out. We are at the end of the life cycle for single core phones (unless you like windows phone or mid range phones) and in the middle of dual core phones. Also towards the end of ginger bread OS. Might as well wait for your full rebate and pick up a shiny new quad core ICS phone with a 720p screen and amazing camera. The Evo 4g was one of the coolest phones for its time and you know there will be some new badass ones being announced soon. HTC and others have to step it up now they know Sprint is getting LTE and the Galaxy Nexus. Just saying, I bet by May we will know about something pretty awesome coming out compared to what Sprint has now.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

IMO wait for the G-Nex to be released. then when it is and if you are early on your upgrade ask them for an early upgrade so you can get it. keep asking until they give it to you.

good luck.

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You can also get phones from ebay, but you have to be careful and make sure that they have clean ESN numbers so you can activate on Sprint.

Another option is buying at Best Buy and doing their buyback program. You pay $60 when you buy the phone and if you trade it in and it's in like new condition they'll give you a give card for 50% of the original retail value. The down side of this is that Best Buy charges more for phones off contract and you're stuck buying all the phones from Best Buy...

Sent from my Transformer TF101

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

My evo is constantly freezing up and I'm ready to ditch it, great phone but I'm looking closely at the design 4g, but I'll rather buy it on craigslist and sell my evo to offset but I'm also think iphone.

IMO, I don't care for samsung phones so I'll rather hold off on my upgrade till the new evo gets released.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad