Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Default Gmail or Email App?

I was under the impression (I'm not sure where I picked this up) that you couldnt use HTC's email app for Gmail. But after watching the Evo setup videos on Sprint's website, I noticed that you can use it.
    So which in your opinion is better and why?

Gmail app allows you to access any email that you have ever been sent and handles folders and everything else perfectly. Push is instant. It is a beautifully integrated. Big mistake not using it imo.

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

What setup videos are you referring to ?

I personally like the HTC Mail app..you can set your gmail accounts as an Exchange account and have em pushed instantly w/ access to all your past emails and the ability to use the HTC mail widget...PLUSS you can actually view and save attachments (the BIGGEST oversight in the gmail app IMO)
    Last edited by KerkedAgain; 06-03-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    What setup videos are you referring to ?
    I'm guessing he's talking about these setup videos.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KerkedAgain View Post
    I personally like the HTC Mail app..you can set your gmail accounts as an Exchange account and have em pushed instantly w/ access to all your past emails and the ability to use the HTC mail widget...PLUSS you can actually view and save attachments (the BIGGEST oversight in the gmail app IMO)
    How would you set it up as an Exchange account?

Quote Originally Posted by dre3k2 View Post
    I'm guessing he's talking about these setup videos.
    Yup. That is it.

Quote Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
    Gmail app allows you to access any email that you have ever been sent and handles folders and everything else perfectly. Push is instant. It is a beautifully integrated. Big mistake not using it imo.
    I actually prefer the stock email app (on the HTC Incredible) because it integrates and links nicely with the People application. The Gmail App does not.

Can you copy and paste from within the gmail app? Thanks

I know you can't with the Blackberry gmail app...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh K View Post
    How would you set it up as an Exchange account?
    choose exchange
    server address: m.google.com
    check encrypted SSL at the bottom

then in your send receive options you have quite a few more settings that IMAP stough
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Thanks! Are there any downsides to using gmail this way as opposed to the gmail app?

You can view and save attachments in the gmail app. You can even preview in the app.

I was not aware that the HTC mail app allowed you to access your archived/old mail in gmail. Running a search in the gmail app searches 6 years of email for me. HTC mail app does the same???

choose exchange
    server address: m.google.com
    check encrypted SSL at the bottom

then in your send receive options you have quite a few more settings that IMAP stough
    Unfortunately, you can only add one Exchange account this way. :-(

Also, if you use Google Apps for your own domain, then you have to enable Google Sync on your domain in your domain settings (not on the phone, but on your admin site for Google Apps).
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7
    Nexus 10
    Nexus Q
    Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
    Logitech Revue
    Chromecast
    http://www.arkandroid.com

I plan on trying K-9. I've read a lot of good things about it.
    Supports push and is supposed to be better on the battery.

I have to admit I like having to decide which email client to use. Never had that problem on my Pre of any of the WinMo phones before the Pre.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    I plan on trying K-9. I've read a lot of good things about it.
    Supports push and is supposed to be better on the battery.

I have to admit I like having to decide which email client to use. Never had that problem on my Pre of any of the WinMo phones before the Pre.
    K-9 is good. Push works great. It's not the prettiest client, but it certainly has all the needed features! I like being able to assign a different notification tone to each email account (I have like 4 or 5 on my phone) so I know which email is coming in just by the sound. The stock HTC mail app doesn't do that. Just uses the default notification. The Gmail app, however, does.
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7
    Nexus 10
    Nexus Q
    Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
    Logitech Revue
    Chromecast
    http://www.arkandroid.com
    Thanked by:

so did the OP's question actually get answered? Can you use HTC's email app? or just Gmail?

Where in the HTC mail app is the setting for Gmail push?

I can confirm that you can use your google account on exchange.

user name: your gmail address or google apps address (I used google apps)
    server: m.google.com

Using Gmail on the Exchange setup still treats your Gmail like an IMAP account. So, your phone and Gmail are always in sync.
    Treo 650> Moto Q> Moto Q9c> BB Storm> HTC Touch Pro> iPhone 3G> Palm Pre> iPhone 3GS> Droid> Incredible> EVO 4G

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I was sending a test email to my Gmail account and it looks like the Evo is using the Gmail app for some reason. How do I stop that and add it to the HTC app?