Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trouble getting computer to recognize EVO hooked up through usb?

anybody else having this problem? i'm trying to transfer my photos and music onto my EVO from the computer but the removable disk wont show

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    ROM
    wrm2.2

same here. Im on Windows Vista and the found new hardware balloon pops up but it fails when it tries to install the driver.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

The EVO needs to know what you want it to be. When you first plug it in, you have 4 choices that show up for about 10 seconds. If you don't make the choice, I think it defaults to charging only.

The choices are:
    Just Charge
    HTC Sync (Software Windows wants is on the SDHC card it came with)
    Disc Drive
    Internet Sharing

To transfer data, you need to choose Disc Drive. Took me a few minutes to find this. The Pre waited and didn't do anything until you decided. The HTC doesn't wait.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Problem with mine is that it gives me the choice for about 2 seconds and disappears. I have been able to successfully choose about 1 in 4 tries. I think since the win 7 isn't finding a driver, it is causing it to disconnect. Any ideas?

I had this issue on windows 7. In my system tray, there was an Add Device icon with a spinning circle. I clicked on that and it said that it was checking Windows update for updated drivers. I double clicked the icon and in the window that appeared, I had the option to turn that off. After that, I unplugged and replugged and was fine. I doubt this will fix everyone's issues, but hopefully it'll help.

Default try this

Menu
    Settings
    Connect to pc
    Now change the default way that it sees it.

Sent from my new EVO!

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I had the same problem yesterday. I was downloading songs and photos and about half way through it cut out and wasn't there any more under the drives. I finally gave up and took the sd card out and manually installed them onto the card.

You can find the connection by pulling the notifications down from the top of the screen. Go to the top bar, pull down.

However, my phone can't find my HTC sync on my XP PC, so it won't sync. I've removed the program, downloaded the updated HTC Sync program from htc.com, and it still won't "find htc sync."

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Well my issue is resolved by using the usb charging cable that came with the phone. I was previously using a different micro usb cable I had lying around. Don't know why it would make any difference. Wierd thing was that I tested out the older cable with a different pc and evo and it worked fine. Guess this computer only likes the cable that evo came with for some reason.

This might sound like a ridiculously simple solution, but it worked on mine. Don't plug into a USB hub. Plug it directly into your computer's USB 2.0 port. I researched online, tried all sorts of other things. Even changed cables. Nothing worked until I moved from the hub to the PC.

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Default Re: Trouble getting computer to recognize EVO hooked up through u

I'd been having the exact same issue. I'd been trying to use an after market micro USB to no avail. Using the factory cable made the difference.

Default Re: Trouble getting computer to recognize EVO hooked up through u

this happened to me when my charging port started to go out. first it wouldnt recognize on my pc, then it wouldnt charge on anything but a wall outlet.