1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    ROM
    wrm2.2

Default text to speech

I see and hear examples of text to speech under settings, but how can you get it to read something?

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I am wondering about this too. Does it have to be built into the app? I dont see it in the messages app. Just got handcent to try it out because that definitely includes it. It would be cool if i could use it in gmail too to listen to messages while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by reynoldsrobbie View Post
    I see and hear examples of text to speech under settings, but how can you get it to read something?
    When you open keyboard to type say text message next to keyboard you'll see microphone. Press it and say something.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBeGood View Post
    When you open keyboard to type say text message next to keyboard you'll see microphone. Press it and say something.
    I think what they mean is that functionality is actually "speech to text" (i.e. taking what you're saying and converting it to text).

I don't know why everyone calls it "text to speech" which is the opposite of what it does.

I believe they are asking for a way for it to read text back to you (i.e. converting "text" to "speech")

I think this needs to be built into the app itself. So far I only have one app, Kaloer Clock, that does this. I think I also had to download TT Service Extended library. If you want that clock to tell you the time, just press the screen while its and it tells you. So far I haven't found a way to get it to read things like email or web pages.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

It depends on the app. handcent's sms app will speak to you, if you hold your finger on the message, it's an option in the pop ups. I have no idea what other apps support it, I think handcent is the only one I have.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Google Translate has this for some languages, it's a jaw dropper.

Wow, learn something new everyday! Speech to text is such a cool feature!!!!
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Actually I would be interested in knowing all the operators for the default voice input on the google widget, like "call bob" or "navigate nathans" - i wonder if i can launch apps or do other things, anyone know?

Found an app via appbrain called DriveSafe.ly
    When turned on, it will read incoming text messages and even caller id.

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    Actually I would be interested in knowing all the operators for the default voice input on the google widget, like "call bob" or "navigate nathans" - i wonder if i can launch apps or do other things, anyone know?
    Yes I believe you can. If you use the seach button the microphone is on the keyboard. Just push it and say what you are searching for ie. call so and so or open android market etc..
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fonefanatic View Post
    Yes I believe you can. If you use the seach button the microphone is on the keyboard. Just push it and say what you are searching for ie. call so and so or open android market etc..
    When I said "open camera" it did a google search for "open camera"

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

How do you capitalize and use periods and question marks?

I was hoping for the capability of opening a document, web page, or pdf and selecting "text to speech" and then sit back to give my eyeballs a rest....

anyone else?
    qu1nn
    Sprint: PPC6600 > HTC Mogul > HTC EVO (Hardware Rev 003): CyanogenMod 7.1, Amon-Ra Recovery

bump.
    Sprint: PPC6600 > HTC Mogul > HTC EVO (Hardware Rev 003): CyanogenMod 7.1, Amon-Ra Recovery

Default Re: text to speech

Hi qu1nn. Please tell an Ole dog hunting new tricks what you mean by "bump"?

Default Re: text to speech

As more people post to the forum the topic gets buried. My reposting with " bump "brings the topic back beginning and makes it more active it again. Hope this helps