Former Blackberry owners

draino3112

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For any of the former BB owners that picked up the EVO I would love to know your thoughts so far. Will you be keeping it? Returning it and going back to BB? Not sure?

I am a loyal BB owner for about 5 years and I am making the jump.

Thanks!

mandarb916

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I had been using the blackberry bold since it's release a bit under 2years ago. The text communications handling within the BB OS feels much more unified in that I had the option of viewing each account and communication program separately or collared together. I haven't found any way to view my gmail and exchange accounts together yet. GoogleTalk is also separate. Nothing huge...just a minor annoyance for me.

Everything else, I've enjoyed thus far. Large screen, snappy processor, pretty good keyboard, solid web browser, etc. While not a complete replacement, the Evo for my needs is coming pretty close to replacing one of my computers. BB excels at being a communications center. The Evo is much closer to a PC. The loss of the spartaness from the BB will take me some time to get used to, but I quite like the UI.

BTW, I wrote this from the Evo while relaxing in bed. Not something I could have done on the BB bold 9000 at the very least...going to miss the ability to use a single phone for both US and Japan, but the pros of this platform/phone far outweigh any problems this exBB user has found thus far.

OrderedtheEvo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I'm having is notifications on fb and yahoo mail. I have to refresh every single time. What pisses me off is I stlll have my berry on AT&T and it's always going on off and I look down at this phone and nothing.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Curve, Tour and Bold. I just miss being notified of all of my messages - I want LED customization and notifications on my accounts. I also want my accounts separate..haven't figured out how to do these things yet, natively OR with an app - I also do miss BBM, but I'll get over it... When you're used to a BlackBerry and it CONSTANTLY talking to you about what messages you have, this Evo seemed really quiet.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I think coming from a BB to any Android device is a tough transition. I even went back to a Tour because I really missed BBM, but realized that I enjoyed the browser and interface on my Motorola Droid a lot more. :)

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
if you love bbm

There's an app thats just like bbm but better and its for all platforms its called cnectd I had it on my BB tour and now I have it on my Evo I knew I was leaving BB but I wanted to keep my bbm friends and the day before I got my Evo I told all of them about it and now its spreading like wildfire cause now they can meet new people and tell there friends who wants bbm on there cry phone or android to get this app its a great app

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I will never go back to the tour, ever. This phone sucks as a messaging power house but the tour sucked at everything else.

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Twitter and Facebook were better on my blackberry. But I like that this phone does not have a single integrated inbox for everything. I always hated that about my curve. I also have not found a good replacement for windows live messenger yet.

I will not be switching back. The web browsing on this is far too good and the apps rock. I am sold!

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't decide if the messaging is worse or just different. Either way I knew it would take some getting used to. Same with the virtual keyboard, gonna take some practice.

One thing I miss already is the ability to make custome ring profiles. Like "Phone only" on the BB turns off all notifications except the phone. I used that profile at night so incoming emails wouldn't wake me up but the phone would still ring if I got an emergency call. As far as I can tell the EVO just has Normal, Vibrate and Silent.

Still, the EVO is a far, far better multimedia device. I doubt I'll ever go back to BB (or any other non-android device).

The only problem I'm having is notifications on fb and yahoo mail.

Not sure about FB but for yahoo go to Mail > Menu > More > Settings > Send & Receive > Set Download Frequency. Set your peak start/end time to a 24 hour range and then set the Peak Frequency to 5 minutes. Not quite BB push but pretty good.

GGotti

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from the Curve 8330 and I can honestlysay after having my Evo for an hour I will never go back to BB. This phone is better to me in every way. I just have to get use to the virtual keyboard but I am pretty fast on it already.

OrderedtheEvo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't decide if the messaging is worse or just different. Either way I knew it would take some getting used to. Same with the virtual keyboard, gonna take some practice.

One thing I miss already is the ability to make custome ring profiles. Like "Phone only" on the BB turns off all notifications except the phone. I used that profile at night so incoming emails wouldn't wake me up but the phone would still ring if I got an emergency call. As far as I can tell the EVO just has Normal, Vibrate and Silent.

Still, the EVO is a far, far better multimedia device. I doubt I'll ever go back to BB (or any other non-android device).

Not sure about FB but for yahoo go to Mail > Menu > More > Settings > Send & Receive > Set Download Frequency. Set your peak start/end time to a 24 hour range and then set the Peak Frequency to 5 minutes. Not quite BB push but pretty good.

Thanks I will give this a try.

I do miss the battery life. :(

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
There's an app thats just like bbm but better and its for all platforms its called cnectd I had it on my BB tour and now I have it on my Evo I knew I was leaving BB but I wanted to keep my bbm friends and the day before I got my Evo I told all of them about it and now its spreading like wildfire cause now they can meet new people and tell there friends who wants bbm on there cry phone or android to get this app its a great app

Does it run in the background all the time? How does it affect battery life?

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
The only time i will ever pick up my type again is for when I travel out of the country. That's it. I grew to hate my tour and won't miss it at all.

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I gave up my tour for the evo. Now the tour had its strengths, mainly battery, messaging and stability. But in my 24 hours plus with the evo i am really blown away. I am not looking back sadly at all.

allyrand

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I gave up a blackberry tour for the Evo, and so far I like the Evo much better. There are small things about the blackberry that was cool, like instant notifications and mail, but I will give this a shot for a while. Its still probably the most innovative phone out there.

kudosmog

May 19, 2010
Visit site
had a few blackberrys, newest one being the 8330 and the only touchscreen phone i've ever owned was a mogul, so getting used to the EVO is a little rough for me. The first day with the phone I just sort of looked at it and wondered how it worked lol. I missed the notifications, missed bbm but quickly realized I actually didn't like the keyboard on the 8330 and am really starting to like the touch keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781