Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Roaming?

So youll have to excuse me I'm new to the whole smartphone world. Love my evo so far I see there are settings about data roaming in the wireless networks settings on my evo.. Should I leave the data roaming stuff checked? Is it a good idea to uncheck so i dont get any crazy bills? Thanks for any input evoholics..

no worries, there are no roaming charges with sprint
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Perfect thanks!

When I check it, it's says: "Allow data roaming? You may incur significant roaming charges!"
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nycraze View Post
    When I check it, it's says: "Allow data roaming? You may incur significant roaming charges!"
    You might if you're not in the US. Free inside though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Awesome. Thank You.

my evo roams ALOT and im not liking it

Does anyone know what is Data Roam Guard?

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

(To save a new thread, I'm hopping on here.)

I'm going to Toronto this weekend. In case I need to make a call, I add the Canadian Roaming option onto my service the day before and canceling it the day after my trip. Last year, with my Pre, I had a couple of weird instances where my phone suddenly showed as being on Sprint's network though they have no coverage there that I know of. I'd thought I'd turned off roaming, but when I got my bill there was about three dollars worth of data roaming charges though I thought I was offline other than hopping on open wifi hotspots. I got Sprint to take off the charges, but I'd like to prevent going thru the hassle this time.

What do I need to shut off to prevent a repeat with my EVO? I know that all the location-based goodies like Google Maps or Sprint Nav will go bye-bye (have a free-standing GPS for that), but I'd like to be able to ride open wifi points. I'm still puzzled over what happened last year with the sporadic Sprint network hits. I would know when I was on their networks because I'd suddenly get Gmail pushes. Very odd.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Quote Originally Posted by nycraze View Post
    Does anyone know what is Data Roam Guard?
    You get a pop up every time you use data that is considered roaming. Sprint roaming is free. There's no need for this inside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    (To save a new thread, I'm hopping on here.)

I'm going to Toronto this weekend. In case I need to make a call, I add the Canadian Roaming option onto my service the day before and canceling it the day after my trip. Last year, with my Pre, I had a couple of weird instances where my phone suddenly showed as being on Sprint's network though they have no coverage there that I know of. I'd thought I'd turned off roaming, but when I got my bill there was about three dollars worth of data roaming charges though I thought I was offline other than hopping on open wifi hotspots. I got Sprint to take off the charges, but I'd like to prevent going thru the hassle this time.

What do I need to shut off to prevent a repeat with my EVO? I know that all the location-based goodies like Google Maps or Sprint Nav will go bye-bye (have a free-standing GPS for that), but I'd like to be able to ride open wifi points. I'm still puzzled over what happened last year with the sporadic Sprint network hits. I would know when I was on their networks because I'd suddenly get Gmail pushes. Very odd.
    menu>>settings>>wireless & networks>> uncheck mobile network
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    menu>>settings>>wireless & networks>> uncheck mobile network
    And this trumps all the settings under Mobile Network, right below?
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    And this trumps all the settings under Mobile Network, right below?
    Yep. Shuts down mobile data completely.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Wait a minute there -- it is not necessarily free within the U.S.

Sprint limits your data roaming to a certain amount (can't find that amount right now), if you go over that amount you will be billed.

Also for voice, Sprint limits what you can roam as well. If your minutes usage is more than 50% on roaming you are apt to get charge (or in extreme cases I think Sprint could cancel your contract).

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneeee View Post
    my evo roams ALOT and im not liking it
    that is what your 450 minutes are for.

I live near Philly right, I drive 30 miles west away from town and I am in roaming. Sprint coverage really sucks. Good thing I have 2 phones all the time with me.
    HTC Evo 4G 2.2

CUSTOM PC:
    INTEL Q9550 E0|ASUS P5E|EVGA GTX 480|EVGA 9800GTX|MUSHKIN 4GB|X-FI TITANIUM|RAPTORS|CORSAIR HX1000W|WINDOWS 7 X64|HANNSPREE 28" HDMI|ANTEC 1200 MODDED|CORSAIR H50

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Yep. Shuts down mobile data completely.
    Just an update that I made my trip and checked my stats at Sprint.com and other than the 4 minutes of calls I received, nothing more turned up on my bill. I was texting a local and peeps back home and no extra charge for those popped up either, though MMSes didn't work; only straight SMS. No biggie. Thanks again for the tip. Locked me down tight against stray data charges.

Biggest problem was the lack of open wifi points. A manager of a band from London, UK and a local were griping about it. I had much more success last year. Wonder why the lock down? Sucked.

I have had sprint for a year and had a hack on my phone which forced roam at work, due to the crappy sprint signal at work and it running down my battery. I have never been charged extra or had a problem with sprint for my 5x a week 8 hours a day roaming.

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Default Re: Roaming?

Mike, I could be wrong but it sounds like you're quoting an old plan...

Sent from my rockin' Evo using Tapatalk.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post
    Mike, I could be wrong but it sounds like you're quoting an old plan...

Sent from my rockin' Evo using Tapatalk.
    Agreed. From all that I have read, on current plans you will not be charged no matter how much you use. HOWEVER, if you do use excessive roaming minutes (and data) they have the right to cancel your service without notice and it has happened to some people over at sprintusers.com

Some people even set their phone to roaming only a few years ago to have sprint kick them to the curb to break their contract without an ETF so they could get an iphone (back when sprint had NOTHING but lame flip phones it seemed) and that was right around the time that the roam only option disappeared from all new sprint phones for obvious reasons.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    be careful, it was originally stated by the OP in that topic that he did not think sprint could not see that it was roaming. Now everyone at the end of that topic is reporting data roaming and all minutes coming out of their anytime minutes (no night and weekend and no mobile to mobile) when using that PRL. I can confirm I now have data roaming showing up on my account after using that PRL even though my phone never once showed me as roaming so I switched back to the stock Sprint PRL.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Talk about a bummer! I have had Sprint for YEARS and today when I logged on to Sprint online I saw an alert about almost going over my Data Roaming. I have NEVER seen this before so I called Sprint CS. I was using a Palm Pre for the past year and used the Hell out of my data and not once got billed. CS told me that the Evo does carry a 3GB cap on data roaming and that I must have been roaming while surfing the net. WTF? I am tempted to return this phone if it is going to cause this headache. They advised me to turn off my PLR settings so I don't go over my limit. When I asked them what I was paying the extra 10.00 for they said it was because the phone has HD.
    ARG! I love this phone but what's the point if they are going to nickle and dime me?
    I still have no idea when I could have possibly been roaming unless I was in an elevator or something. Does anyone have any ideas? I am open to anything to help me keep my EVO. I live in an area that is supposed to get great 4g coverage but NOT. It jumps between 3g and 4g...mostly stays in 3g.