Weird MMS problem - please advise

random_robbi

May 17, 2010
Visit site
got my evo at 6 this morning from Radio Shack and I love it.

Now onto my problem, if i click share on a picture i took with the camera - and send using messaging / MMS it says picture too large and starts resizing it - and it resizes the picture to a resolution of 194x324 with a file size of 20.1 KB - the original picture was taken in 8M mode but only has a resoltion of 1.5 MB and I have the MMS setting for maximum size to be 2M

I have tried it in every single setting for picture size and it does the same thing, and when you get the message - it is super tiny and zooming in only makes it worse.

Anyone have a fix? I know calling sprint won't do any good, sounds to me like a programming error.

JohnnyKat

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Agree!!

This is stupid!! I have a giant EVO screen and I can only see a tiny thumbnail of a mms message?!!?
And its no use trying to enlarge the picture because the resolution is a mess!

Is it me, or is there something seriously wrong? Here's hoping there's a fix!
And what's the story with the 'slideshow'?!!? Any way to turn that off?

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't found a fix so much as a workaround. Go into the market and find an app that will resize pictures. I find "picsay" gets the job done. It seems like as long as you stay under 300kb than it will let you send the MMS without auto resizing.

I am able to resize with picsay to a decent resolution and then send it via mms, but its definitely a hassle

bigblue4ever

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Agree!!

This is stupid!! I have a giant EVO screen and I can only see a tiny thumbnail of a mms message?!!?
And its no use trying to enlarge the picture because the resolution is a mess!

Is it me, or is there something seriously wrong? Here's hoping there's a fix!
And what's the story with the 'slideshow'?!!? Any way to turn that off?

I would like to know what the deal with slideshow is as well for mms messages.. I can't seem to find an explanation anywhere...seems like they have taken something simple and made it a pita...

tdubby#AC

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using handcent sms and that resizes the pictures to a respectable size without messing up the quality.. So now I just use that to send out mms and standard msgs for texting or you can use the handcent for sms too if you like. I'm not sure why they have it resize to 20k lol.

tekguy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a friend show me the pictures they receive when I send them from the Evo and they show up fine. It fills his whole screen and looks good.

ridersinc

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been able to send out images with Handcent. The wheel keeps spinning and spinning on the Evo. I have even reduced the compression setting on Handcent to 200K. I think that is the issue. The native Messaging App resizes to approx. 20K and works normally.

I've been using handcent sms and that resizes the pictures to a respectable size without messing up the quality.. So now I just use that to send out mms and standard msgs for texting or you can use the handcent for sms too if you like. I'm not sure why they have it resize to 20k lol.

bigblue4ever

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Is there a way to set it to clear the notification at the top of the screen if you go straight into the program instead of going to the notification and following that link the handcent?

fraz

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I just noticed this issue today regarding the small mms pictures - anyone figure out how to make them bigger or zoom in yet?

pseudo_nomen

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
OK, this is where it kinda gets wierd. I've spent the last couple hours testing what happens with picture re-sizing when sending MMS's between my EVO and a different phone.

First - there doesn't seem to be any difference between Handcent and the stock EVO MMS app when it comes to sending, receiving or re-sizing (or not) picture messages.

Second - Regardless of the "send size limit" specified (both in Handcent and the stock app) the recipient will get pictures up to ~450KB in size... *UNLESS* you are also sending those pictures to _yourself_ as well.

Third - All pictures you receive as MMS, regardless of original size/resolution, will be delivered to you as a 480x360 or 640x480, ~70 to 90 KB thumbnail image. At least thats the only thing you're able to "copy to SD card" and save. Based on the quality of the actual image attached to the MMS, I'd day thats all that gets delivered in the first place.

So... All images I receive through MMS, whether from others or myself, are 480x320 or 640x480 images, capped at 70 to 90 KB in size. I have my "Maximum MMS Size" set to 1.2 MB in Handcent (max) and 2MB (max) in the stock MMS app.

I dont start getting the "auto-resizing" dialog when sending images until about the 1MB mark, but my recipients get 475~ish KB images even before that without any tell tale "resizing image" dialog. Below are the results of my tests... what can we figure out from this?

Sent from EVO.................... Received by EVO.................... Received by Other
640x480 147KB....................480x360 62.4KB.......................640x480 229KB (??)
1280x960 721KB...................480x360 78.1KB......................1024x768 425KB
2048x1536 1.78MB................480x360 85.9KB......................1024x768 426KB

Sent from Other.................... Received by Other.................... Received by EVO
640x480 64KB........................640x480 64KB...........................640x480 59.1KB
1280x960 184KB.....................1280x960 184KB........................640x480 66.7KB
1280x960 242KB.....................1280x960 242KB........................640x480 89.2KB

So... what the hell is going on here? Is this an EVO/Sprint issue? Or is it simply user error - some setting I may have somewhere thats capping the image size I am able to receive through MMS?

Anyone else have any solid data to add or anecdotal evidence to offer?

Jim

Last edited: