Anyone in regret yet ?

OrderedtheEvo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I'm new to android, got my evo yesterday played with it all day and most of all night. The phone is nice but here are a couple things that brother me.

No push notifications ???? Is android for kids or what ?

Batterylife (although this is probably my fault since I didn't know about task killers)

I'm not in full regret yet but I need to get used to it I guess. Anyone else have any issues they don't like ? Please no fan boy post android is the best !! Etc etc.

drew0020

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I'm new to android, got my evo yesterday played with it all day and most of all night. The phone is nice but here are a couple things that brother me.

No push notifications ???? Is android for kids or what ?

Batterylife (although this is probably my fault since I didn't know about task killers)

I'm not in full regret yet but I need to get used to it I guess. Anyone else have any issues they don't like ? Please no fan boy post android is the best !! Etc etc.

I returned mine this morning. Android is not for me. I'm not a tweaker, I don't want to have to download programs for music, booksmarks, etc. I also don't like the task manager. There is a lot I like about android too but for me after 5 hours of playing with this I just realized I don't like it.

I had a longer post in the owners thread. I do love the phone though. Wonderful design!

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I came fr WEBOS N I loved it no offense, but I have no regrets for the EVO cause I knw that is like anything else out there. We just have to get used to it, I played with it all night n I'm starting to get all those little tricks, I still think WEBOS is better but this phone is bad a s s

syouse

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Push notifications? Are you coming from an iPhone? Push notifications as I understand was Apples way of getting around mulitasking and background apps on the iPhone OS. android multitasks and runs background apps so there is no need for a push notification if you are running the app in the background.

Battery has been fine, I expected a device like this to eat up juice but it has exceeded my expectations so far. Haven't bothered with a task killer yet.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
You guys need to give it a couple days, geez! Of course there are push notifications! If you are not familiar with Android you need to familiarize yourself with the OS. This is not a palm pre and will not be everyone but 5 hrs is not enough time unless you have a lot of Android experience already.

$.02

Septro

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Such is the fickle life of wisps that sway in the wind..

Next on the nightly news, "Peanut Butter no longer cool" - says Jelly

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
No phone or OS will be for everyone. I'm loving my EVO so far. Is it the best thing since sliced bread? No, but since it is new and shiny it will feel that way to some of us for a bit. Everyone just keep an open mind, some will like it, some will not. On the other hand, you get 30 days, I'd say use it if you went through getting one. There is alot to android and you can't just pick it up and learn everything in a day.

Last edited:

drew0020

May 2, 2010
Visit site
You guys need to give it a couple days, geez! Of course there are push notifications! If you are not familiar with Android you need to familiarize yourself with the OS. This is not a palm pre and will not be everyone but 5 hrs is not enough time unless you have a lot of Android experience already.

$.02

Honestly I agree about 5 hours but I really liked it less the more I used it. I am a pretty basic phone guy. I really can't get over the iTunes integration plus synching bookmarks, etc. Also the loss of the ipod through my car nav hurt more than I thought it would.

If google develops a program similar to iTunes I may give it a try again but until then it's a deal breaker for me no matter how many hours I use it.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I cant believe you guys are returning them already, that was really quick.

As to the original OP, I dont really know what you're talking about with lack of push notifications since I have been getting notifications for email, twitter, news (RSS), etc.

Battery life I would say is on par with my iPhone 3G, and expect it to get better after couple more days of use.

Also I dont really see Android as a "tweaker's phone", this is my first with android OS but it reminds me of PALM OS days when could download whatever you wanted without big brother watching you.

Should have at least given it a couple more days, since Sprint offers 30 day guarantee.

To the OP and drew0020 what phones did you have in the past?

drew0020

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I cant believe you guys are returning them already, that was really quick.

As to the original OP, I dont really know what you're talking about with lack of push notifications since I have been getting notifications for email, twitter, news (RSS), etc.

Battery life I would say is on par with my iPhone 3G, and expect it to get better after couple more days of use.

Also I dont really see Android as a "tweaker's phone", this is my first with android OS but it reminds me of PALM OS days when could download whatever you wanted without big brother watching you.

Should have at least given it a couple more days, since Sprint offers 30 day guarantee.

To the OP and drew0020 what phones did you have in the past?

I had the iPhone for the past 3 years. I'm currently using the 3GS. I haven't literally returned it yet bc Best Buy just opened but I plan on it. The other major thing that annoyed me was that my typing was much worse on the evo than the iPhone.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had the iPhone for the past 3 years. I'm currently using the 3GS. I haven't literally returned it yet bc Best Buy just opened but I plan on it. The other major thing that annoyed me was that my typing was much worse on the evo than the iPhone.

Just throwing it out there, but as far as keyboard, one nice thing about android is you aren't limited to the stock keyboard that the phone comes with.

The SPCS Guy

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I say, if you are a Basic phone user, no one should be purchasing a phone like this!
Go to Craigslist or ebay and buy an old motorola startac! As basic as it gets. Make and Receive calls!

NOW OTOH, those of us who like new gadgets, we love phones like this.

JE

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
was the iPhone the first "smartphone" you had? Because other than the blackberries from the past, you had tons of options to customize etc on old smartphones.

I agree with the keyboard, the things that trip me up are:

1) in landscape mode, the space bar is not dead center, so I always end up hitting the period button, trying to adjust using my left hand to hit space bar.

2) in landscape mode, hitting enter does not send the email, SMS, etc. you have to hide keyboard and then hit send.

I'm just really happy to be free from the bondage of Apple, since the iPhone is too locked down.

Its practically what the iPhone should be but Apple is too controlling to allow most of it.

But in the end, whatever floats your boat and works best for you, since we're all spending ridunkulous amounts of money for these shiny new toys!

drew0020

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just throwing it out there, but as far as keyboard, one nice thing about android is you aren't limited to the stock keyboard that the phone comes with.

Agreed but I am not the type of person who wants to dowload a program for a new keyboard, one for my music to even get it on the sd card, another to sync my bookmarks etc. I also dislike having to manage tasks so the phone doesn't slow down. I downloaded a program for that.

I do like how Android is more open than Apple but I believe Android needs a stronger set of core programs before someone like me would want to switch to it. Plus a longer term worry is when will 2.2 be released and then how are the rest of the updates handled?

Too many issues and unknowns for me. I hope Android keeps improving because I appreciate competition. Honestly I think Android is improving faster than the Apple OS but I'm kind of locked into the Apple OS.

beardman

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a new phone because i'm starting to get tired of my pre but the only problem is that i love webos. im hoping that palm comes out with new hardware, hopefully with a dual core cpu before the years end, otherwise i guess i'll be switching over to android.

drew0020

May 2, 2010
Visit site
was the iPhone the first "smartphone" you had? Because other than the blackberries from the past, you had tons of options to customize etc on old smartphones.

I agree with the keyboard, the things that trip me up are:

1) in landscape mode, the space bar is not dead center, so I always end up hitting the period button, trying to adjust using my left hand to hit space bar.

2) in landscape mode, hitting enter does not send the email, SMS, etc. you have to hide keyboard and then hit send.

I'm just really happy to be free from the bondage of Apple, since the iPhone is too locked down.

Its practically what the iPhone should be but Apple is too controlling to allow most of it.

But in the end, whatever floats your boat and works best for you, since we're all spending ridunkulous amounts of money for these shiny new toys!

iPhone was my first smart phone 3 years ago. I'm tiring of Apple but I'm still not ready to leave yet. If google can build an iTunes type program and stronger core set of programs I think that might be enough for me to come back.

Septro

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Agreed but I am not the type of person who wants to dowload a program for a new keyboard, one for my music to even get it on the sd card, another to sync my bookmarks etc. I also dislike having to manage tasks so the phone doesn't slow down. I downloaded a program for that.

I do like how Android is more open than Apple but I believe Android needs a stronger set of core programs before someone like me would want to switch to it. Plus a longer term worry is when will 2.2 be released and then how are the rest of the updates handled?

Too many issues and unknowns for me. I hope Android keeps improving because I appreciate competition. Honestly I think Android is improving faster than the Apple OS but I'm kind of locked into the Apple OS.

Oh FFS save us the constant equivocation and weak rationale. Go back to AT&T and see how far iTunes integration takes you when you keep dropping phone calls.

The priority of ppl these days kill me..

drew0020

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh FFS save us the constant equivocation and weak rationale. Go back to AT&T and see how far iTunes integration takes you when you keep dropping phone calls.

The priority of ppl these days kill me..

I'm in NC there are no problems with dropped calls otherwise I wouldn't be on AT&T. I have no problem with their service. In fact all major providers are pretty good in this area.

I'm not preaching the iPhone is better but it's better for me right now.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Well here a couple of things that you may not know about:

1) You can simply download ItunesAgent (for windows) and there is a similar program for Mac that you can use to sync your Droid with iTunes. Obviously only if your music is DRM free.

2) I think the whole "task manager" thing is a obsolete at this point from all the chatter I see on the web. Android 2.1 seems to manage killing tasks quite well, and also with the Evo being so high end there is more than enough ROM to go around for all the programs. I have yet to see mine slow down.

3) I hate to break it to you, but most smartphones require a lot of customization on the end user's part. Hence why a lot of people dont consider the iPhone a true smartphone (which I used to LOVE by the way). I'm also assuming that you didnt jailbreak your iPhone?

Also Google did purchase Simplifymedia (the streaming app that is available in the Apple app store), so I assume some big things are coming in the pipeline.

For your sake, I hope that the new iPhone to be announced soon will have some killer features or you get used to using the Evo in the next couple of days