The Official I have dropped my Evo Thread -

Have you dropped your Evo yet?!?

• Total voters

Chris5#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'll start not even 2hrs after owning (thank god for screen protectors) i had the thing in my cargo shorts pocket ..

Trying to take it out i fumbled it, and it slid screen first on the floor in my building, ahhh :eek:, screen protector was scratched to hell, but amazingly no damage to EVO which includes the screen! NiCE!!

Needless to say i went and bought a temp case until the Seidio's are back in BB (belt holster ones) -

Funny story the guy who bought his EVO next to me in RS also was in BB later that day and told me he did the same thing, double :eek:

Septro

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping the back would be the rubberized-lite as in the Pre Touchstone backpanel. Makes it really grippy. The EVO back feels like a wet bar of soap :)

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't dropped mine ( knock on wood ) AND I usually carry my phones naked in my pockets ... This will be the first time that I will entertain then probably obtain some type of slim line protection ... I still want to be able to feel it ( my phone ).

GGotti

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't dropped mine yet and lets hope i don't. The place i usually always drop mine is when getting out the car because i just to keep my Curve in my lap. I'm trying to avoid keeping my Evo there.

PS: The Hard case from sprint seem pretty good and so if i drop it I'm not worried.

jmyadagod

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i went to radioshack (by myself) at 630ET in the AM grabbed my evo...in and out..... but had to return around 4 PM to help mother in law get hers (but with my kids this time). I guess this was the time systems were crashing like crazy so there for 2 hours kids were acting up . I go to grab my son to take him to the car and BOOOOM down goes my EVO it was like a silence in the store people mouths wide open like i dropped a baby......Thank GOD i went to sprint store and bought body glove earlier in the day a big scuff on case none on phone though!!

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Ok so i went to radioshack (by myself) at 630ET in the AM grabbed my evo...in and out..... but had to return around 4 PM to help mother in law get hers (but with my kids this time). I guess this was the time systems were crashing like crazy so there for 2 hours kids were acting up . I go to grab my son to take him to the car and BOOOOM down goes my EVO it was like a silence in the store people mouths wide open like i dropped a baby......Thank GOD i went to sprint store and bought body glove earlier in the day a big scuff on case none on phone though!!

Well at least you were doing the right thing in trying to discipline your kid - LOL ;)

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Jesus... I had to stop in this thread because my girlfriend asked me yesterday if I thought anyone had dropped their Evo yet. I responded "definitely." Luckily there are no horror stories in here, looks like the cases are doing their job. I tinkered around with a case and screen protector with my Pre when I first got it but eventually took them off because I liked the feel of the phone better. Luckily, everytime I dropped it, there wasn't insane physical damage and I always got a new phone swapped out for free. I bought a case and screen protector for my Evo and immediately applied them. Not taking any chances this time. I don't even wanna know what the phone feels like naked so I don't get tempted to take them off.

Has this happened to anyone else? Because it's the only way I ever dropped my phone.

Driving in car, phone on lap... get out of car... phone goes down.

Wakasaki808

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Jesus... I had to stop in this thread because my girlfriend asked me yesterday if I thought anyone had dropped their Evo yet. I responded "definitely." Luckily there are no horror stories in here, looks like the cases are doing their job. I tinkered around with a case and screen protector with my Pre when I first got it but eventually took them off because I liked the feel of the phone better. Luckily, everytime I dropped it, there wasn't insane physical damage and I always got a new phone swapped out for free. I bought a case and screen protector for my Evo and immediately applied them. Not taking any chances this time. I don't even wanna know what the phone feels like naked so I don't get tempted to take them off.

Has this happened to anyone else? Because it's the only way I ever dropped my phone.

Driving in car, phone on lap... get out of car... phone goes down.

yup that happened to me with my pre when i got out of the car and it hit the pavement :/...good thing i had a zag screen protector on it or it would have some scratches on the screen lol...got a dent on the touchstone back though...

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I can see why a screen protector is needed as I have a scrath right in the middle of my Pre screen. Although, I haven't seen a screen protector yet that u couldn't tell was installed so I've decided not to use one anyways. I want the screen to look awesome, not like some 9th grader that tinted his own windows.

The other hard cases I don't get at all. So you completely cover your phone to keep it free of scratches yet it's always covered so who cares? It's like a bra on a car hood. It keeps it from getting chipped but you never un-cover it so why do you care? Re-sale value? So basically, under your scuffed up case is a pristine phone that never sees the light of day? Also, with all of the talk about the thickness/thiness of the phone (especially compared to an iPhone) why ruin it by making it thicker?

Not trying to bash I'm just curious as to why people do it.

dastrey

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to bash I'm just curious as to why people do it.

Normally I agree with you, but outside of the beautiful screen, the rest of the phone isn't anything special looks-wise. Every time I hold the phone it feels like it can easily slip out of my hand, so I would prefer a case with a rubberized feel. The fact that this phone is heavier than normal makes me believe a fall can really do some damage against a hard surface. As for thickness, a lot of the cases shown here really don't add too much.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough. I guess I'm just going to have to see one in person and decide. I still kinda like the naked look as it will help people know what you have and get the recognition out there for the EVO. I want it to be instantly recognizable much like an iphone. Stupid? Probably.

lshelmir

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Haven't dropped mine, but I have been extremely careful with it. I mean, before the screen protection it was gloves and socks.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
bobvanjr,
I also normally agree with you, like exactly. I refused to keep my Pre covered because I thought there was no reason to cover up the beauty of the phone, like you said, I wasn't thinking about the re-sale value. But I dropped my Pre 5 times and had to get it replaced; 1 of the times having to pay the $100 deductible, and all the other times, losing my info/data. I definitely like having a naked Evo better than covering it up, but now that I've experienced the pain of dropping my phone, and looking down at a scratch or scuff, or even worse, a blank screen, there is no way I'm risking it with this phone. I bought a temp cover which is hardly noticeable but even too much for me. I'm going to scour the internet until I find a good case the is even less noticeable and forgiving to the Evo's natural body. (sorry for sounding so poetic)

powerbyte#AC

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Mine went down tonight face first and slid across concrete. :eek: Body Glove case popped off...no screen protector on phone, and it made it through O.K.. Little chips around corners, but no screen damage whatsoever. THANK GOD! Funniest part...I was reading a text message from my dad about how "God is telling me things are going to be all right" at the precise moment when it happened. So I don't know what to believe now....:p

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have to share my story with you guys on this one! I purchased the case and clip from BBY when I bought my Evo. It is from Platinum (AKA Seidio) that is hard plastic. I set the phone on the edge of my truck. Then without thinking about it I drove off with the phone still setting there :O! Well wouldn't yopu know the phone slide off and I saw it out of the corner of my eye as I watched the phone fly through the air! But thankfully for the case (atleast thats what I believe saved it) the phone was fine! No scratches no dents no nothing :). Man I have to tell you though I was sooo worried as I backedup and picked the phone up! Thats my story

D Evo

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes I've dropped mine with the bodyglove case. Landed on the bottom left corner and shattered the glass. Everything worked fine though. I've gotten it replaced and it's good as new. I can't wait to see an otterbox case, maybe Ill get the seidio limted.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Last Saturday night, I noticed a friend had a Nexus One and asked to see it. I handed her my EVO in its Body Glove hard case and when she was done, she went to hand it back and it somehow flipped out of her hand and either bounced off the wooden stage on the way to the pavement or hit the deck straight away.

However it went down, I was looking at my phone and case blown into its four constituent pieces, the red inside of the phone facing up at me meaning the glass was on the concrete. My friend, standing across the way with my girlfriend saw the drop and literally gasped, "Jennie just dropped Dirk's phone!!!"

I picked it up - thinking about how I was going to beat the $100 out of her - and turned it over to find, to my shock, that the screen was unscathed! I snapped everything back together and as far as I can tell, everything's working just fine. Other than a small rough spot on the case's side above the volume rocker and the skinny part appearing on the verge of breaking, there's no sign of it having taken the tumble. The phone (and Jennie) are very, very lucky.