Comparison of Incredible and EVO download speeds (3G, 4G and WiFi)

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Using Speakeasy Speed Test I got on my laptop 16.54 up and 2.56 down. On the Evo (wi-fi on) I got 10.33 down and 4.11 up. Seems fine! My router is on the basement and my room is on the second floor (where I did the test) so I don't have the same problem that many of you are having. Still, the wi-fi display is showing only one (or none) bar.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not certain of this but given that FM radio uses headphones as an antenna, I wondered if the 4G radio does.

It might. I am getting more consistent 6Mbps with headphones, about 3-4Mbps w/out. Was using this test site from browser. Give it a shot.

Speakeasy - Speed Test

Note 4G icon and headset plugged in...
speedtest.png

Last edited:

gaguy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
WiFi Averages:
EVO Sitting on Desk: 10.7 down 3.1 up
EVO In Palm of hand with firm grip: 3 - 5 down 3 up
MacBook (Same location from router): 30 down 3.2 up

Seems like the more I hold it (And maybe with a firmer grip?), the worse it does. These tests are in a different room from my WiFi router. If I'm right next to it with the EVO, I always get the 10mbps-ish speeds even if holding it in my hands.

All using speedtest.net (Macbook using their site, EVO using the app from marketplace)

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Comparing WiFi speeds is ridiculous since it mostly depends on your internet connection, I.e. dsl, cable, etc which varies from house to house, city to city, carrier to carrier dramatically!

Also, people are confusing up and down speeds in this thread!

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Right, you should post what the max speed service you have for wifi or compare it to laptop.

For 4G results, please specify how many 4G bars you have and if slow results, check if clear.com coverage maps says you are suppose to have good coverage. If someone gets under 1mbps for 4G and maps say you are on fringe, it is an expected result.

gaguy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
WiFi Averages:
EVO Sitting on Desk: 10.7 down 3.1 up
EVO In Palm of hand with firm grip: 3 - 5 down 3 up
MacBook (Same location from router): 30 down 3.2 up

Seems like the more I hold it (And maybe with a firmer grip?), the worse it does. These tests are in a different room from my WiFi router. If I'm right next to it with the EVO, I always get the 10mbps-ish speeds even if holding it in my hands.

All using speedtest.net (Macbook using their site, EVO using the app from marketplace)

Can someone else confirm my tests with the EVO sitting on a desk vs being gripped in your hand with decent distance from the Wifi router. This may help with determining weather or not there is a Wifi signal issue while actually holding the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12