Notification Bar Problems

anon(26928)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello EVO users!

Been loving my phone, got one for myself and my wife.

I have a problem that maybe you the users here can help me with. I can not access my notifications from swiping down from the top of the screen. With my wife's phone it works just fine but with mine its no go. Only way that I know of right now to access my notifications is going to the home screen, pressing menu then notifications. Its really annoying and aggravating.

Things I have done to try to fix it:
1) Went to settings > privacy > Factory data reset
2) Powered off phone, held volume down button down while depressing power button to access the hard reset, then did clear storage option.

Both of the above have not changed the current problem. Is my phone fubar and need a replacement?

Please help,
Qubix

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly what happened to me when radio shack activated my EVO yesterday. They tried all the resets to no avail and finally just gave me another phone.

masbirdies

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Mine doing the exact same thing....

got it at RS as well (thought I hardly think that has anything to do with it).

I am suspecting it is a screen issue in that the touch is not sensitive there.

My notifications works in landscape.

Put your phone is a browser and landscape. Position a web link in the area of the portrait notifications bar and touch that same area to see if the link opens. I can't get anything to happen when touching in the area of the notifications bar in portrait.

MAKE SURE YOU LET HTC and SPRINT know. I already called HTC and they offered no solutions. I asked them to log this issue.

ScrapMaker

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been having intermittent issues with my notification bar. It turns out that there are two factors at play here. First, the phone seems to get quite laggy at times, and the notification bar seems to be quite susceptible. Second, download a full screen drawing application and start drawing around the edges of the screen. You will notice that taps near the top are not registered. There's a few mm gap, and if you don't push on the screen just right, it won't detect it on the bar. This happens to me A LOT. I end up opening the clock about 100 times a day...

dolomatt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am having issues as well. if I am not holding the phone in my hand, the top of the screen will not register anything at all. soon as I am holding the phone in the palm of my hand it works perfectly.

Can someone try this? set the phone down on a flat surface and try pressing the notification bar. Or use a full screen drawing app.

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
This isn't really a fix for your problem, but there's another way to access notifications that's superior IMO: the stock Android method. Press Menu -> Notifications. No offense to Pre refugees, but I can't stand swiping the screen to make something happen. I even disabled the lock screen with No Lock because I hated the Slide to Unlock default.

dolomatt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This isn't really a fix for your problem, but there's another way to access notifications that's superior IMO: the stock Android method. Press Menu -> Notifications. No offense to Pre refugees, but I can't stand swiping the screen to make something happen. I even disabled the lock screen with No Lock because I hated the Slide to Unlock default.

I just want to know if I have a faulty screen. There have been a couple other reports of the top not working. Did you try setting your phone down and accessing the notification bar?

LexInHouston

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My phone has the same issue with the notification bar not working when laying down. I have to be holding the phone or else it's kinda spotty. Looks like I may be exchanging this phone because I thought that was a feature, apparently not.

anon(26928)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok, sorry about not posting for a while. I called Sprint and they walked me through using some codes for hard resetting the phone from within the OS. This did not result in anything useful for the problem.

Did some more testing with my two EVO's (wife's and mine) and in landscape it does in fact work. But I was doing some edge testing and I tried pulling down the notification bar on my wife's and it works all the way to the edge of the screen. With mine it seems to end about the width of my GMail notification icon about 1/4" from the top (left side in landscape)

Sprint told me they did not have this problem on record and told me to just exchange the phone with Radio Shack. I contacted Radio Shack and they put in a special order for me and it should be here by Monday / Tuesday next week.

anon(26928)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok I installed Nicky Paint and ran my finger around the entire edge of my phone and repeated the same test on my wife's phone, below are the results and I think they speak for themselves. My friend and I were convinced it was a software problem but it looks more like a hardware problem with the touchscreen.

evo1.png

evo2.png

th3gh05t

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for posting these images Qubix! I am picking up my phone from RS today, and I hope that I don't have this issue! :|

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello EVO users!

Been loving my phone, got one for myself and my wife.

I have a problem that maybe you the users here can help me with. I can not access my notifications from swiping down from the top of the screen. With my wife's phone it works just fine but with mine its no go. Only way that I know of right now to access my notifications is going to the home screen, pressing menu then notifications. Its really annoying and aggravating.

Things I have done to try to fix it:
1) Went to settings > privacy > Factory data reset
2) Powered off phone, held volume down button down while depressing power button to access the hard reset, then did clear storage option.

Both of the above have not changed the current problem. Is my phone fubar and need a replacement?

Please help,
Qubix

Do you have a screen protector on it? I had one installed on my unit and was having the same problem, until I removed it. No a good solution and I will be exchanging it when they get more in stock.

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried running the touchscreen calibration?

I'm not sure what it does since my screen is perfectly calibrated I don't want to run it and screw things up.

From home screen: Menu> Settings> Languages & Keyboards> Touch input> Text input> Calibration tool (at the bottom, scroll down).

Worth a shot?