Some questions about 4G EVO from Curve user.

JacobMiW

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello there, I searched the thread and sorry if this has been asked already.

Long story short, in my seven months with AT&T, one of the reasons I loved being with them, especially the Blackjack II, was the ability to open up an MMS and already having a picture on it.

Obviously, when I switched to the Curve on Sprint, I found this wasn't the case, as I have to use the web browser to load up the picture, and it can be quite an annoyance.

Also, with AT&T, I didn't have to worry about text messages being limited to 160 characters, as I could type and type and type as if it were an e-mail.

Yes, I used Beyond 160 on the Blackberry, but even then, I hated the need to use an app to send more than one message and using the app to break it up for me.

Now, here are my questions:

1) I heard there's an app that uses Picture Mail, and basically, bye bye web browser to view pictures, as it loads up on the app. Is this the case?
2) Is there still a 160 text limit?
3) Are SMS threaded?

Thanks,
Jacob

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Since I've only had the EVO a day, I'm not 100% sure of this, but on the Pre it didn't have any problems with 160 character limits and if I typed too long, it automagically broke it up into as many messages as needed. My friend who is also on Sprint has had two different phones (can't recall what they were, but they were feature phones; not smartphones) and her replies came back the same way and AFAIK she didn't require any apps to make that work.

I just tested sending an MMS on the EVO by opening the Messaging app and selecting Attach off the Menu; it offers Picture, Video, Audio, Location, Contact (vCard), Appointment (vCalendar), and Slideshow. I selected a photo from the camera that was almost 1MB in size and it gave a warning that it was too big and created a 9KB version. There was an edit button and selecting that made it into a Slideshow with the text under the photo on a black background. Not sure what happens if I just added text.

On the Pre, long messages were broken into the sub-components (i.e. 1/3, 2/3, 3/3-labeled messages), but I believe the EVO fuses them all together into a single logged item. If by "threaded" you mean are messages from different users kept together, yes, they are. When you bring up messaging it has a list of all the people you've texted and you can review your history. It's not as nifty as the webOS method which could bundle texts, MMSes, IMs from AIM or Yahoo into a single per-user archive, but it does the job.

Hope that sorta answered your questions. I think the issue was with the Curve, not Sprint restrictions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad