Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4g sucks in dc

I just switched from a blackberry tour to the evo and It's amazing! I didn't really care about the 4g access but I'm paying for it and it sucks. I live in Washington dc and I turn my 4g on to see how fast it is and it's honestly similar to 3g. Whenever I get the, "4g is available in your area" on my phone, I get excited but it's always one bar... I hope 4g gets better,but the phone is awesome. Now I'm trying to learn how to make spreadsheets and documents for work.

Anyone know how??

Also, which email client do people use? I can't highlight anything on my gmail app.... it sucks agh!!!!

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

have to find out where the 4G tower is located to see how good it can get. I went to the Rt 1 sprint store by applebee's and they had 4g there, but it was like 3g as well. Where I work 3g signal is nonexistent so I assume 4g will be the same.

I get 4G every now and then, but stays in 3G mostly

when in 4G, it dont notice "explosive" speeds but i guess it is faster

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Are you indoors or outdoors? The 4G in Atlanta can be very good when outdoors and indoors if near window/wall of building. With a strong signal, I'm getting average 7Mbit down and 1Mbit up.

However with a poor signal it's not that great. The top floor of my townhouse I get a strong 4G signal, but in the basement I don't get 4G, only 3G with 3 bars.

I used it today in the suburbs of Chicago( Batavia) and man was it fast! Pages loaded almost instantly. No 4G yet where I live here in Morris IL. If they put Wimax on the Walmarts, it would be all good!

I Live off route 1 across from Potomac Yard and I get 1 bar of 4g all the time. It is so much faster than my blackberry 8330 browser, so i'm all smiles here. ha ha

I live in Falls Church, around 10-15 minutes from DC. (Route 50)

When I turn on 4G my Internet works, however, when I turn off 4G. Nothing works.

Still can't "Update Profile" or "Update PRL", both keep timing out.

Called Sprint twice, both calls resulting in them telling me to return the phone to the store and get a new one.

However, one other person from another messageboard told me that Sprint is still getting pummeled with pending activations, etc, so keep trying to "Update Profile" in the System Settings.

Does DC have 4G yet? I thought we were still one of the future sites.

It's not listed on the Sprint web site.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Does DC have 4G yet? I thought we were still one of the future sites.

It's not listed on the Sprint web site.
    It is active but not officially announced.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Default 4g turned on

4G was turned on on Tuesday in Virginia, but Maryland, I'm not sure.
    The new 4g network isn't surprising me or giving me the hooray yet. I haven't experienced the full effects of it yet, but I'm traveling back to Chicago next week so let's see how it works out. So far, I get one bar of 4g when I'm at home in Maryland and it's very bad! I live in downtown Bethesda and it's not that great!
    gbp

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

fogettaboutit, I can't even get a decent 3G signal 18 miles north of downtown. Sprint is a signal in DC is a joke. I called and complained to them many times. No Luck. I guess the cheap price is keeping me with them.
    gbp

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

is the place for cellphone coverage search and report.

DC resident here. Sprint 4G works well outside everywhere I've traveled so far. In my home, I can step outside for a 0-2 bar 4G signal but cant get anything inside, no matter how close I am to my window.

Not a dealbreaker at all. 3G is extremely fast for me. And wifi handles traffic when I'm at home. When I do have a 4G signal, seek times are noticeably quicker even if peak bandwidth is more or less comparable to 3G. I get 2-4 mbps down on 4G and sometimes 1mbps up.
    gbp

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by creativemeat View Post
    DC resident here. Sprint 4G works well outside everywhere I've traveled so far. In my home, I can step outside for a 0-2 bar 4G signal but cant get anything inside, no matter how close I am to my window.

Not a dealbreaker at all. 3G is extremely fast for me. And wifi handles traffic when I'm at home. When I do have a 4G signal, seek times are noticeably quicker even if peak bandwidth is more or less comparable to 3G. I get 2-4 mbps down on 4G and sometimes 1mbps up.
    do you know the general areas the 4G is available in MD side ? I am having issues with 3G itself. There are plenty of places where signal keeps dropping. Nevertheless the fact that 4G available in DC is welcome news
    gbp

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Anyone else can tell if you are getting a decent 4G signal in DC ?

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

wow never even bothered to try 4G out... I just assumed it wasn't live yet... will definitely give it a shot tomorrow at work
    gbp

Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

don't forget to update us with the signal strength !!!

In Maryland, it's mainly in Baltimore and surrounding counties. You can check 4G coverage here.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

My 4G.. in las vegas is inferior to the 3G. What is the "4g is available in your area" that you mention. I don't recall ever getting a notice on my phone.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Also handy.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Isn't 4g not even officially in DC yet. Last time I checked the coverage map it showed only 3G. I know there is some 4G coverage but last I heard it hadn't been officially launched

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

They have been turning 4G on in phases, if DC has not officially launched yet then your service isn't expected to be great. They have been going through testing and now have launched 4G here in KC and I think it's awesome. We have nice coverage where I live and work. I believe the coverage map needs to be tweaked a bit but other than that I couldn't be more pleased!

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

my DC 3G/4G test results... sitting in vehicle @ 22nd & I NW...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4g sucks in dc-3g-gw-hospital.jpg   4g sucks in dc-4g-gw-hospital.jpg  
    Last edited by R1_Rydah; 06-07-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo

yeh with more testing, 4G in DC is spotty at best

and sometime it gets stuck on "scanning.......", which leaves me with no internet. But when i immediately turn the 4G option off, it'll find a 3G connection real quick

Well 4G has only been on in DC for about a week so, guess they need to iron out some kinks

Quote Originally Posted by sel1965 View Post
    They have been turning 4G on in phases, if DC has not officially launched yet then your service isn't expected to be great. They have been going through testing and now have launched 4G here in KC and I think it's awesome. We have nice coverage where I live and work. I believe the coverage map needs to be tweaked a bit but other than that I couldn't be more pleased!
    It was announce last Wednesday i think.
    A link to the article is in the "areas soon to get 4G" topic
    Said DC area was Live
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast