1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Question PLEASE explain hotspot vs tethering etc!

I am new to Android. (one day). I know the hotspot 30 dollar fee was for up to 8 computers and all that. (no need for that for me ) But I thought you could use the evo as a router for ONE computer and that wouldn't be extra? If that is the case, could one of you please explain how to do that? I saw on my wireless connections the "Internet Sharing" icon, but it is dark (cant click on it). Thanks again guys (and gals)

My understanding is you can not use it as a hotspot or teather unless you pay for it. If your in a 4G area, I believe its free till July, at which time it will no longer be free any more. Hope that helps.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Evo 4g-----> iphone 4s-----> Galaxy S3

I have the hotspot and it wont work it wont connect to my ipad or my computer at all

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneeee View Post
    I have the hotspot and it wont work it wont connect to my ipad or my computer at all
    I paid for the hotspot and its working for me with no problem. Actually good speed too. It walks you through the set up, did you follow every thing ?

i know on webos you can enable mobile hotspot without paying for it on sprint.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html

I dont think android can do that. thats pretty much the dealbreaker for me otherwise i'd pick up an EVO today : /
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

According to the , you can tether, but you will need HTC Sync installed on your computer first:

Using Your Device as a Modem (Internet Sharing)

Get online with your notebook or desktop computer at any time, using your device’s data connection. For information on setting up and using the data connection, see “Getting Started With Data Services.”

Note: You need to install HTC Sync before you can use your phone as a modem.

See “HTCSync” on page 65 for details. Make sure that your device has an active connection with the Sprint 1xRTT data network or the Sprint 3G network. For more information, see “Getting Started With Data Services.”

1. Connect the device to the computer using the provided USB cable.
    2. On the Connect to PC screen, select Internet sharing, and then tap Done.

When you are using your device as a modem, the USB mass storage feature is disabled, and you will not be able to use HTC Sync.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    I paid for the hotspot and its working for me with no problem. Actually good speed too. It walks you through the set up, did you follow every thing ?
    well yea so did I but I have an iPad and it just keeps saying unable to connect to EVO and with my computer it pops up the exclamations mark

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneeee View Post
    well yea so did I but I have an iPad and it just keeps saying unable to connect to EVO and with my computer it pops up the exclamations mark
    Hmm, not sure. It should be working fine..

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    According to the , you can tether, but you will need HTC Sync installed on your computer first:
    I should of read the manual,lol... Thanks for the clarification.

Default Re: PLEASE explain hotspot vs tethering etc!

You can use pdanet from the market to tether just one computer. I'm sure in time xda developers or sdx will figure out how to unlock the hotspot without having to pay for it

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk