What to do? Upgrade my Evo ASAP?

Treesham

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Any original Evo 4G owners taking advantage of the insane price posted on the main page for the Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch and upgrading?

i am considering doing this. i'm a victim of the unacknowledged memory drain that some Evos have experienced, and i am sick of it.

i was really hoping to wait until May to see if any new Evos for Sprint are coming out, but the combination of this low price and the memory issues are trying my patience.

so, what to do - take advantage of that price, or suck it up and wait 3 months....thoughts?

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I don't like about the Epic 4G is that it's a Samsung phone. After seeing my friend deal with software issues causing his Samsung Captivate to work like crap, and the lack of timely firmware updates, I don't think I'd want to test those waters.

If you don't live in a market that Sprint will be upgrading to LTE anytime soon, and think you can live with slow firmware updates, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I'd say at least wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
A couple things to consider would be that the Epic Touch has a microSD card, while the Nexus won't. The Nexus is a bit taller and reaching the limits of "wow, that's a giant phone in your pocket." The Epic Touch camera is better, but the Nexus has NFC if you want it. I know several people who've switched to the Epic Touch recently and had nothing but good things to say about it. Read any review and it's the best one out there for Sprint and look at the worldwide sales for it (GSII).

Obviously, both are great devices and do most everything any of us need them to do.

sub150#AC

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
My upgrade is in June. I just bought an Epic 4G touch off ebay for 370 shipped...sold my Evo 4G on ebay for 200 shipped.

So for 170 bucks I upgraded my phone without a new contract. Not a bad deal at all. Probably upgrade at the holiday season when the top phones all come out.

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that you're going to be stuck with this phone for 22 or 20 months! Sprint is making a lot of changes and you don't want to feel left behind. Can you imagine if you would have waited till the Evo was a year old before you upgraded? You'd be stuck with a phone stuck in time with no hope of upgrade. You can't just think about what the Epic 4G Touch is now, you have to think about how it's going to shape up in a year.

Good things come to those who wait.

olorin

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
That memory issue is what drove me to root my Evo. The problem does not exist on must 3rd party roms (I recommend Cyanogen). If you're not rooted, it only takes a few minutes with the Evo, then it will feel like a new phone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool