camera makes click sound when turned on

jonathanlc2005

May 4, 2010
Visit site
It's really weird... and gets little warm around 107 degrees but is more noticeable on kick stand cause its a heat magnet. Also why does android apps crash or lag? I thought we got a powerful phone

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I do have a click sound when the camera goes off and on although it is not consistent...Was just wondering if anyone has this. I didn't notice it when first using the Evo. It's just recent. It does originate near the upper portion around the camera lens and light area. Anyone else?
I wondered about the aperture, but as it is not consistent and the amount of sound varies...I've tested in the same conditions to know this..
It first became of note when I used Google Goggles recently...then it has happened everytime since.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The clicking is not normal. Mine just started doing it a minute ago on my Evo that I bought on launch day. First it said it couldn't save pictures because I didn't have permission to use the SD card or something like that. I rebooted, no SD card messages but now I get a clicking sound.

Mine does it when I back out of the camera app. If I reboot the phone, it doesn't do it anymore for a bit. After I go into the camera app and back out a few times, it starts to click.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's normal.

I have 4 Evos that I bought on launch day. Only 1 of the 3 is doing it. That 1 that is doing it, just barely started a few minutes ago- over a month after buying it. And even then, it is only intermittently doing it. If I reboot, it doesn't do it anymore. The phone also gets pretty warm when it happens. And it only started doing it after I got some error when I tried to take a picture saying I didn't have permission to write to the SD card or something like that.

It is not normal.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have 4 Evos that I bought on launch day. Only 1 of the 3 is doing it. That 1 that is doing it, just barely started a few minutes ago- over a month after buying it. And even then, it is only intermittently doing it. If I reboot, it doesn't do it anymore. The phone also gets pretty warm when it happens. And it only started doing it after I got some error when I tried to take a picture saying I didn't have permission to write to the SD card or something like that.

It is not normal.

have you done the OTA updates on all the phones? the SD card issue was fixed with the first OTA update.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
From day one, my camera has always made a hardware clicking sound whenever the phone goes to access the camera. It's never affected me taking pictures in anyway.

To me it's normal.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The click sound is the auto-focus adjusting the lens position. All auto-focus mechanisms make noise because there are moving parts.

There's not much room for a motor so some camera phones with auto-focus use piezoelectric strip in order to move the lens back and forth. You run current through it, the strip heats up and changes shape which can finely adjust the lens. If the camera is on the warm side, the strip can heat up and change shape on it's own and can move the lens when the camera is off, and when you activate the camera, the piezo strip engages the lens and moves it back into proper operating position (click). When you exit the camera and the phone is still warm, it might disengage snap back into that resting position (click).

The lens is allowed to float when not using it so that temperature fluctuations don't wear it out faster from pressure that would build up from locking it into place.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed my camera was making this sound yesterday for the first time. It doesn't seem to effect the performance of the camera or phone however. Hopefully it's not a gradual thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2