Charge times and different charge times with accessories?

volxlov

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Maybe its just me but is anyone else noticing a difference in charging over PC USB, Car Charger and Wall charger?

Seems like I get slow charging with USB on the PC and car charging adapters. When I plug in using a wall charger I am getting a good solid charge. I guess can't compare to my iphone but how long does it usually take to fully charge this phone and would the charging accessory you are using differ in charging time?

Whats a good app paid or free that will give me a good indicator of battery life left for EVO 4G devices?

Thanks!

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's the HTC Battery widget which gives a good rundown of battery info. It doesn't come with the EVO though, you'll have to get it via the Market.

The only thing that matters as far as charging speed is the amperage (usually listed in milliamps, or ma). Optimal charging is 1 amp, or 1000ma. PCs will default to USB spec, which is 500ma after negotiation. The device may request more, but it is up to the PC to decide whether it can or wants to provide it. Some will, some won't. And how much it is can be difficult to see :p

Dedicated chargers will put out exactly what they say on them.

Edit: It's highly recommended you do not use a charger that provides more than 1 amp. The EVO should be able to handle small overages, but you run the risk of damaging it if you go too high.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This is a well known fact that plugging up to the outlet charges a lot faster than to a computer or car charger. I believe Dieter Bohn referred to it as "trickle charge".

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is a well known fact that plugging up to the outlet charges a lot faster than to a computer or car charger. I believe Dieter Bohn referred to it as "trickle charge".

It has nothing to do with what charger, and everything to do with what that charger supplies. A car charger, and a PC, are both capable of providing the specified 1 amp of power. But not all do. (Then again, not all wall chargers provide 1 amp either)

Also, trickle charging is not what you think it is. Trickle charging is used to "top off" a battery that is nearly charged, or to maintain a charge once it has fully charged. This is done so as not to severely impact the lifetime of the battery (as lithium-ion batteries are limited in life by the number of charges they experience). A trickle charge most commonly occurs once a battery reaches 95%. It will very slowly charge up to 100%, stop, and wait for the battery to reach 95% again, then charge again.