Alarm clock didn't go off

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Until a week ago, I've had no problems and I've used ATK for over four of those weeks. However, something's clearly going wrong and intermittent reboots and unexplainable function failures are definitely not cool.

jgladstone

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
task killer problem

Simple...go into task killer after you have started the clock....choose for your task killer to "ignore" the clock program....done. Easy Peezy.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
OK, something's changed in the system. I unchecked everything in ATK (i.e. nothing is killed) and got the alarm to ring twice. Set the alarm a third time, reactivated ATK and made sure Clock and a bunch of other stuff is excluded and the alarm has failed. Three more attempts and it only worked once. All apps are up to date according to Marketplace.

What's baffling is that as far as I can see, I've got nothing configured different, but Gmail isn't pushing instantly and the alarms don't work.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
As Kitarkus mentioned dont simply uncheck the box... Hold the application like when u remove or add a widget and then hit ignore.. the clock program or whatever alarm program you are using

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not following this. I'm using the basic HTC Big Clock & Weather widget and have Clock and Weather unselected in ATK, the way it was before. I don't see any way to "hold and ignore" them anywhere. Sorry.

What's driving me nuts is that I Factory Reset my phone Sunday night and until Thursday night when the Sprint tech did a Hard Reset, it worked no differently than it did when I got it at launch. Now it's failing 90% of the time with the same settings. I don't get it.

jgladstone

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
here ya go

OK.....push your clock button and take a look at it...then close it. This will ensure that it is a "running" application. Now open your Advanced Task Killer Application. You will see a list of all running applications (forget the checkmarks!). Now see clock on the list?......touch it (LONG press...press and HOLD). A sub menu will open....and within that sub menu will be an option to IGNORE. NOW....your alarm will never fail you again. I only have mine ignoring two things rignt now....#1 the clock...and #2 the task killer itself.

jgladstone

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
btw....the checkmarks ONLY relate to what you wish to kill or NOT kill at any particular moment. That is ALL the checkmarks are for. You want to mark the clock to IGNORE...forget about the checkmarks for this "issue" that you are having.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
OK.....push your clock button and take a look at it...then close it. This will ensure that it is a "running" application. Now open your Advanced Task Killer Application.
What we have here is a failure to reading comprehend. You're referring to Advanced Task Killer and I'm running Automatic Task Killer.

I uninstalled it and the alarms are working. (Duh.) I'm going to try reinstalling and see if some weird install order glitch could be to blame.

jgladstone

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dirk....whatever "TASK KILLER" that you are running...it will KILL your clock and alarm if you are using it. In WHATEVER task killing program you utilize....you will want to be sure to have it "ignore", "forget", "not kill" the damn clock!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ya see Dirk.....what we have here is a failure to comprehend CONCEPTS. I am truly sorry for wasting time in my attempt to be helpful

Kitarkus - What you should really regret is that you never learned to read. Let's see what I wrote:

While driving in I suspected I'd forgotten to exempt Clock from the ATK and I was right. However, even after exempting it and restarting the phone, it still doesn't ring

OK, something's changed in the system. I unchecked everything in ATK (i.e. nothing is killed) and got the alarm to ring twice. Set the alarm a third time, reactivated ATK and made sure Clock and a bunch of other stuff is excluded and the alarm has failed.

I'm not following this. I'm using the basic HTC Big Clock & Weather widget and have Clock and Weather unselected in ATK, the way it was before.
Three posts which EXPLICITLY state that I've unchecked the clock. How much clearer do I need to be?

Regardless, I think I've fixed the issue. After reinstalling ATK, I ran thru and made my exclusions and then went into settings to turn off the stupid notifications as to how much RAM is used, etc. At the very, very bottom of the list, I noticed that "Kill Background Processes" box was checked which I'd never checked off before precisely because it may kill (as it says) important processes. Clearing that box allows the alarms to sound in the three tests I did. I have no idea if that's the new default setting and can't recall if I had to clear it before.

More vexing is why when I just pressed the power button, the screen came up saying "Loading" and then stuck on a white screen with green HTC logo and I couldn't do anything but hold down the power button and shut it down. But, that's another topic.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why are you here if all you're going to do is not read what others write and get snippy when busted on it?

For those interested in helping, after the restart the alarms aren't working. ATK is unchanged. Sigh.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Some reminders:

Respect others - Be courteous to other forum members regardless of their age/race/sexual preference/etc. Be tolerant of those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a constructive manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Make relevant, meaningful posts - Every post on the Android Central forums should add some sort of value to the forum, whether through technical value or community value. Threads and posts that do not further the Android community will be locked or deleted at the discretion of the moderators.

Personal Attacks - Do not flame, insult, or post a personal attack against another user on the Android Central forums. Be courteous, not rude. Do not troll or respond to trolls.

Trolling - Do not engage in repeated attempts to start arguments, harass users, or draw users into a fight just for the sake of it.

If you can't follow these rules, then don't post.