Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By briandap
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Maps always running?? Disable?

I've noticed that Google Maps is always running on my phone, even after I close it. It is using 30% of my battery at all times.

This is my first Android phone so sorry if this is a noob question. Any insight?

Also, is there a screenshot app?
    Roseliz1979 likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

bump? anyone?

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

For your google maps, If you get a task killer your can force kill the actual Google maps app. Beyond that i would recommend turning off gps manually when you are not using it.

For screen shots, unless your rooted atm we are limited to taking them through the sdk, instructions can be found by searching on the main page. If you are rooted, you can search "screen shot" in the market.

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

For screenshots I found a workaround online for the EVO. Get the app called shootme from the market, and once you get it all you do is shake your EVO when you want to take a screen shot. Apparently for most other phones you needed to root for this to work, but for whatever reason not for the EVO.

I have tested it and it works great. No root here either.
    Thanked by:

ROM

OMG you are my hero

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    For your google maps, If you get a task killer your can force kill the actual Google maps app. Beyond that i would recommend turning off gps manually when you are not using it.
    Task Killer closes it but then a minute later it will be running again. GPS is also off. Any other input?

ROM

hmmm thats way bizzare, i cant think of anything, check to see if you have another app that uses maps services running...

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Auzo View Post
    For screenshots I found a workaround online for the EVO. Get the app called shootme from the market, and once you get it all you do is shake your EVO when you want to take a screen shot. Apparently for most other phones you needed to root for this to work, but for whatever reason not for the EVO.

I have tested it and it works great. No root here either.
    the only problem with this app is that you have to turn it off when not in use....it goes off when going up or down stairs or anything that requires a little bit of up an down movement

on the other hand, if you have it set to 'shout' then it goes off randomly even when the phone rings!!

Try this--> settings - about phone - battery usage - google maps - force close

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

according to recent market comments for shootme, the GB update hosed up the program. Any other suggestions on screen capture programs for our GB phones?
    Rockin' the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 & the Hisense Sero 7 Pro!

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

What I did was to force close the app, clean the cache of maps and don't join latitude bc that is the problem

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Google Maps always running?? Disable?

Try disabling "Use wireless networks" in Settings->Location & security settings. This have worked for me.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by briandap View Post
    I've noticed that Google Maps is always running on my phone, even after I close it. It is using 30% of my battery at all times.

This is my first Android phone so sorry if this is a noob question. Any insight?

Maps should not consume that much battery unless you are using navigation. When closing the app use the Back Arrow until you have exited the app. If you press Home when the app is running, it might not exit it properly. Just a suggestion. That is how I exit almost all my apps.

ROM
    Stock 2.3

If you go into Google Maps and press menu it should say join latitude or you already are joined in. If you are joined in then it shows your location everywhere you go so its always active. go to setting and log out of latitude that will decrease the usage therefore saving your battery's life.
    "The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it." -Niccolo Machiavelli

It continues to use the GPS in the background even with Latitude turned off. It's a Google Maps bug since 5.4.0.

not certain what phone you are using.. but to screen capture on my evo3d.. its power and home button at the same time..

also, certain apps/widgets require the use of GPS, and maps.. like.. the big HTC clock/weather widget.. cuz of current location.. it requires the use of maps/gps

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

I noticed when I froze maps using titanium backup, the weather widget or location services stopped working. I just leave it run and just turn off the GPS.

Smile Re: Google Maps always running?? Disable?

Some of your application may be using Google map that's why you are unable to kill the application. In my case it was cell phone tracker that was using Google map. Just turn it off and google map would stop running. Still if it doesn't stop running then go to settings<click battery usage<click google map<click force stop. I hope this would help you. Dr Hitesh Sheth

To stop Google maps from always runinng:

1) Log out of Latitude
    2) In location settings disable both wireless and GPS
    3) Reboot phone

Every time after you use Places or Maps or Navigate repeat steps 2-3 above

Quote Originally Posted by briandap View Post

You might have already figured it out,
    But for other people...

If you have "use my GPS setting to advance search, etc." This will cause Google map to always run.

Find the setting in "settings > location" last check box (mostly)...

same here ..truely hate it

I tried to uncheck all boxes in the Settings_Locations Menu and restart me phone. No luck, the blue Google navigation arrow is still there and battery is draining fast. I can't believe this navigation doesn't have an off option in the app Settings menu. I've read and seen that most apps turn off when you use the back arrow to back out of the program. This works if I am using google maps navigation through the car dashboard app thingie, but not with the standard Google maps app alone. The car dashboard would ask me if I wanted to end navigation if I tried to back out of the program, so I could decide if I wanted to exit, o if i maybe just needed to access my addressbook or the internet during my journey. Maybe the car dashboar is an HTC specific thing, but it workd perfectly. Too bad I didn't use it this last weekend.

Greenify does the trick for me, although you have to be rooted to use the app

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4