LOVE the phone... can't take the battery.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah on mine the Apps that seem to reopen even after you kill them are Qik, Voice Dialer, Amazon MP3 store and Sprint Navigation. I will click on ATK 3 - 4 times per day and those Apps seem to pop up at different points and times through out the day and start running in the back ground. Overall I am getting at least 14 - 16 hours on a single charge with the stock battery and since I installed the Seidio 1750 mAh battery I get 15 - 18 with moderate use....

How are you checking what apps are opening. Is there a way to see without installing something like ATK? When I check Settings and look at running services, none of these things are there,but if I check them in apps the Force Stop button is active, which implies the apps are running in the background.

Of course, that doesn't mean they're actually using CPU and battery.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How are you checking what apps are opening. Is there a way to see without installing something like ATK? When I check Settings and look at running services, none of these things are there,but if I check them in apps the Force Stop button is active, which implies the apps are running in the background.

Of course, that doesn't mean they're actually using CPU and battery.

I am using ATK... I am not completely sure if you can look at it in another way... ATK will force close the Apps and then if I check back an hour later Qik or Voice Dialer will show being opened. I force close and then check back a couple hours later and now Sprint Navigation and You Tube (even though I have not used either one) are showing in ATK as being open.....

I don't know how much CPU is actually being used up since the up time and wake times are pretty far apart so the phone is sleeping okay. Not sure if they are running while it's sleeping are they eating up battery life?????

I dunno...

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am using ATK... I am not completely sure if you can look at it in another way... ATK will force close the Apps and then if I check back an hour later Qik or Voice Dialer will show being opened. I force close and then check back a couple hours later and now Sprint Navigation and You Tube (even though I have not used either one) are showing in ATK as being open.....

I don't know how much CPU is actually being used up since the up time and wake times are pretty far apart so the phone is sleeping okay. Not sure if they are running while it's sleeping are they eating up battery life?????

I dunno...

You can see running apps in the stock settings menu. Settings, apps, manage apps, then hit menu button, filter, show running apps.

anon(26564)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried turning off Sense? Based on how the old HTC Touch Flo interface slaughtered winmo batteries - I'd guess you can nearly double the battery simply by disabling sense.

Testing currently...

I don't see the quick discharge from 100-80% like I was seeing previously... so that's a good sign. I was going from 100 - ~85 within 10 minutes or so.

(note: my battery has been going 15 hours on a charge...so if I can get it to 2 days with light use - then I'd be in line with what my old winmo phone gets after turning off touch flo.)

madigan5

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery Life...It's Not What You Think

So, I had trouble believing all the forums/comments on how bad the battery life was with the EVO. I was getting 10+ hours through the day with moderate/heavy usage and still ending up with 20-30% left in the tank.

This morning, I'm worried I have worn out my good luck. I took the phone off the charger where it had been through the night and in 40 minutes I have lost 11% with no radio's on but Wifi. Almost immediately the phone went from 100 to 99% and it just keeps dropping.

I have done nothing different with the phone yesterday/today than what I have been doing since June 4th. I don't think this would make a difference but I did just come upon Robo Defense and played it for like 4 straight hours last night...that drained the battery pretty good, but I placed in on the charger and haven't touched it since.

I have ATK and no apps are running in the background.

What is the deal? Has anyone else seen this dramatic of a drop in their battery capacity?

acron1

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if some of the OEM batteries are bad... I charge my phone once at night and it lasts me a good 6-8 hours. This is with surfing, email, phone calls, etc. I don't use a task killer and I use live wall paper.

All I can say is give it more time as you have 30 days to return it. You may want to call Sprint and complain about the battery; maybe they'll send you a new one.

I have the Pre and I am very interested in the Evo 4... I am eligible for an upgrade in August and I thought going for the Evo was the way to go. Some days I work 13-15 hours and I need the phone to last at least that long... I am not a heavy user, maybe 20-40 min a day on the phone and some lite web browsing, email, 10-15 texts etc. Am I better off looking at an other phone?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The battery usually drains the fastest when above 90%, it should level off. Go on with your day and see if it still is dropping like crazy.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Uninstall ATK and see if that changes... you do have it running constantly and checking to see if other programs are running.

Also, what's your signal like? Is it in the 1-3 bar area? That's the biggest battery drainer on a CDMA phone. Try updating your network settings and PRL.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the Pre and I am very interested in the Evo 4... I am eligible for an upgrade in August and I thought going for the Evo was the way to go. Some days I work 13-15 hours and I need the phone to last at least that long... I am not a heavy user, maybe 20-40 min a day on the phone and some lite web browsing, email, 10-15 texts etc. Am I better off looking at an other phone?

I guess it all depends... based on what your saying your use is you should be fine. I am averaging 16 - 18 hours on a single charge(and the battery is usually at about 20 - 30% when I plug it up for the night)... Which makes me through the day easily on what I consider moderate use. 45 minutes of web surfing, 20 - 30 text messages, 30 - 40 minutes of talk, 5 - 10 e-mails, a few pictures here and there and some facebook time......

I got 30 hours out of a charge while I was traveling and only used the phone for about 20 minutes of talk 20 minutes of web and then it just sat in the car while I drove 9 hours and sat 9 hours while I was sleeping....

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it usually drains fairly fast when the battery is between 90% and 100%. Mine will drain within 10-15 minutes. But it levels off in the 80% range and I constantly get around 9 to 10 hours of use.. and I live in a 1-3 bar area with 1x (no 3G evdo)

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The excellent cell phone battery tests on BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims! might help to illustrate the variations in discharge rates over time on any of the Lithium batteries. At that site, click on any of the png links, and you will see how they initially drop fairly rapidly, level off, and toward the end of the cycle drop quite quickly. They all follow pretty much the same curvature, with the variations between them being the overall time to discharge under the same load.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

That is why I got a spare battery! I would never let the battery dictate to me on getting this device. Just change the battery in the middle of the day if you need to and your good to go for the next half. We are NOT iPhone users where we cannot swap out the battery.

I have seen iPhone users carrying around belt holsters with battery packs on them to keep theirs charged. Which is not a bad thing but my point is no phone is perfect. They cannot just swap out the battery so have to do that type of thing..

acron1

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I guess it all depends... based on what your saying your use is you should be fine. I am averaging 16 - 18 hours on a single charge(and the battery is usually at about 20 - 30% when I plug it up for the night)... Which makes me through the day easily on what I consider moderate use. 45 minutes of web surfing, 20 - 30 text messages, 30 - 40 minutes of talk, 5 - 10 e-mails, a few pictures here and there and some facebook time......

I got 30 hours out of a charge while I was traveling and only used the phone for about 20 minutes of talk 20 minutes of web and then it just sat in the car while I drove 9 hours and sat 9 hours while I was sleeping....

Thanks, thats what I was looking for... based on your usage and battery life I should be OK with it...

acron1

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
That is why I got a spare battery! I would never let the battery dictate to me on getting this device. Just change the battery in the middle of the day if you need to and your good to go for the next half. We are NOT iPhone users where we cannot swap out the battery.

I have seen iPhone users carrying around belt holsters with battery packs on them to keep theirs charged. Which is not a bad thing but my point is no phone is perfect. They cannot just swap out the battery so have to do that type of thing..

Thanks Paladin, although the 2nd battery is an option, I would rather not have to swap batteries in the middle of the day if I didn't have to...

droid_head

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
This is very weird,i took my phone off of the charger with a 100% full charge and literally 5 minutes later I was down by 15% battery! I just got down installing a few games that were all lite versions has anyone had this type of crazy battery drain before?

I have been following all of the battery saving tips. Maybe bad apps? Any help would be welcomed

What charger are you using?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, thats what I was looking for... based on your usage and battery life I should be OK with it...

Welcome.... I did buy a Seidio 1750 mAh battery to replace the 1500 mAh battery and I plan to get a car charger and desk top dock once those are out on the market.

I have used the 1750 mAh battery for the last 3 days and honestly I don't see a MAJOR increase in battery life. I used the stock battery for 5 days and then the new battery for the last 3. No major difference that I can see but at the same time usage is never the same....

I do like having a back up battery and also picked up a charger (Suppose to ship on the 15th of June) that charges the battery while not in the phone so the back up will always be charged up... Then I can switch out as needed specially if on a long trip or flight (I travel a lot for work)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I picked up the Seidio 1750 mAh battery and ordered a charger for charging the battery while not in the phone so I can at least always have the option of swapping out if I need to. Also keeps me from having to worry about it if I flat out forget to plug the phone up at night. Not hard to remember when you pull out a dead battery to plug it up right away if you have the optional extra charger.....

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Got through 14 hours yesterday including 1 hour of naviagtion, 2 hours of phone calls, tons of texting, and 3 hours of streaming the audio of a baseball game.

No task manager, but I don't have any social networks set to update automatically but I do have a push exchange account.

Battery has been fine for me.

popo341

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I have purchased Seidio batteries for a couple of years now for many devices. I have purchased ext life oem and ext life oversized batteries. I bought them for my Treo, my BB Pearl then Curve & my Pre. I now have the EVO & will most likely get the same combo for it. I like the OEM ext life to carry around for an extra battery. The 2600 will be for extended outings. If you are out and about and a heavy user with no chance to connect to a power source then go for the 2600mah and you wont be disappointed. I was never really sure if the oem ext life batteries ever made a difference. Some days it seemed to make a difference then other days who knows. I do know that the 2600mah gives you plenty of juice for a good day and a half of use.