LOVE the phone... can't take the battery.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Its ATK. Do not use them. I've already replied to 3 threads stating why and there is a stick FAQ in the Evo forum stating why also.

barrysanders20

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I use Advanced Task Killer. I don't see any abnormal battery drain. What I would suggest is removing the Internet connected widgets from the other home screens.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
for new phones like the EVO, ATK is not necessary because android (as i am sure you know) uses memory for apps that are needed and when it sees an app hasn't been used for a while, it will close it out.

if you guys are looking for an app that will help utilize your memory better then check out the app in the market called "autokiller". it's free but in order to use it you must be rooted. ive been using it for the past 2 weeks and it is working wonders on my droid

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Then explain to me how, after time, after opening and closing apps, and idling, and etc, the phone is lagging and available memory is down to less than 50MB?

Android is obviously not doing that great of a job managing applications in the back and foreground. I think Task Killers are an essential part of getting the most out of the phone. Just make sure to use it right.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled n reinstalled ask n no battery drain. I think its a battery calibration issue.

Also I think there r different ways u can use ATK. I have the security setting at "high" so I don't see detailed processes running rather just the apps, so I don't see it being a bad thing or harming my phone.

Now I can see issues if someone was using it to kill important processes but not the way I intend to use it.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I hate when ppl say not to use a task killer. Android does not close apps all the time. Hell it even opens apps all by itself. My web browser ran in the background for a whole day with out me knowing it was still running; until I clicked on a bookmark and the browser open up instantly and was on Sherdog.com while the book mark I click was to another android site.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Then explain to me how, after time, after opening and closing apps, and idling, and etc, the phone is lagging and available memory is down to less than 50MB?

Android is obviously not doing that great of a job managing applications in the back and foreground. I think Task Killers are an essential part of getting the most out of the phone. Just make sure to use it right.

Show me one article in the past year that says task killers do more good than harm. For every one that you show me I will show you 5 that say they are not what you use them for. This task killer crap is getting ridiculous. If you want to manage your memory like this is Blackberry and freak out everytime it changes, perform random battery pulls and whatever have you then that's your business. But don't come to this nice site, act like you know everything, steer people wrong, and come back complaining because your Evo doesn't work like everyone elses.

There are proper ways to use a task killer. Using it to simply put your memory at your desirable level is not an excuse to use it. Again, I dare you to show me proof that says I'm wrong.

Last edited:

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
First post.... and i never join forums... but a little fed up.

I love the phone... i wont even go into reviewing it (I'm a blackberry user for the past 9 years... that's right... 9).

At 3:10 pm this afternoon i ventured outside and took phone off charger for the first time all day. By 5:40 I was afraid my girl would not be able to get in touch with me.... I had lost 78% of battery in 2.5 hours...

4G was off. GPS was off. Bluetooth was off. Wifi was off. I was running Twitter and Facebook. Here's the kicker... i only made 2 phone calls in that time. By 6:40 i was down to 16%.

I'm going to do a few more tweaks tonight.... I took App Killer off the phone after reading how its not necessary by a guy on these forums.. but I will put it back on.

I DONT want to return this thing... but there is absolutely no way (as a professional) that I can put up with a 4 hour battery life.

The thing about tweaking sometimes, is that the very things i bought the phone for... i have to turn off in order to be able to use the phone as a phone.
While i'm at it... I sure miss the ability to hide icons, and select profiles... but most importantly... i would love to kill voice when i want and go data only (like blackberry).

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
2 questions: are you running live wallpapers and do you have auto-brightness on? Uncheck the auto brightness and set up a widget to control brightness for when you really need it (indoors 20% or so is sufficient) - and take off that live wallpaper.....I know it's cool. I DO. I miss my Aquarium, but it helps.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
^^^ What she said. I had no idea that I had my brightness all the way up and was having the same battery life you were having. I also started using the charger that came with it instead of my Motorola charger and it seems like the battery is holding a charge longer now.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Where is the widget for screen brightness? I can't seem to find it. Is it under power control since I don't have room to start that widget, I'm assuming its there.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
That still wouldn't account for that big of a drop. This is a piece of electronics and like all electronics some are just bad off of the line. I think you may have gotten a bad battery. Take it by Sprint and have them test it. Your battery performance does not seem to be the norm.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Where is the widget for screen brightness? I can't seem to find it. Is it under power control since I don't have room to start that widget, I'm assuming its there.

Yes, it's Power Control and it's the last button on the widget. There is probably another one in the market somewhere that just does brightness.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I turned brightness all the way down... and i dont user live wallpapers (i use the stock Sprint Scene). I have the clock/weather widget on the main screen.... (it does have animation, but its been sunny all day) I also dont use friendstream. I have the facebook/twitter updated hourly... (i mean what good is updating twitter/facebook every 4 hours)? I'm open to all suggestions.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That still wouldn't account for that big of a drop. This is a piece of electronics and like all electronics some are just bad off of the line. I think you may have gotten a bad battery. Take it by Sprint and have them test it. Your battery performance does not seem to be the norm.

I agree. The problem is yesterday i got about 8 hours no problem (no phone calls during that time tho).