Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 14+ hours with light/moderate usage... still going.

Okay guys... SO many misunderstandings about the battery.

- I took my Evo off the charger at 8:30
    - Immediately within 10 minutes the phone went down to 94%
    - In 4 hours my battery was down to 70% 'ish
    - In 6 hours my battery was down to 50% 'ish
    - At around 30% I started using the battery heavily... downloaded and installed/uninstalled like 30 apps (ty AC for the list heh) and listened to music.
    - At around 10:00 my battery was at 9%. I did nothing.
    - Right now, 11:19... it's 8%. That's 1%/hour cell standby. Right now I'm using it and it's sorta' stuck on 8%... I'm about to watch NCIS on my tv.com app until the battery dies.

As you can see... my battery was used a lot in the first 3-5 hours.
    However, after I got past the 50% mark, my battery usage leveled off.

My battery reported an inaccurate level yesterday and a lot of today... It's getting more accurate.

That's a typical day for me... I know it may not be the same for everyone, but please wait it out before throwing your Evo out the door. My Evo died two days ago... 8 hours in of heavy usage... like pandora and customizing the whole time. When I charged my phone and booted it up, it said 18%.

So just please wait it out.

On a side note: Does anyone know if there's an LED flashlight (uses camera flash) app that works with the Evo? I found and used 2-3... but they didn't work.

"LED Light" works good
    Thanked by:

Same with me, I'm at 16% with a little over 14 hours with moderate use including twitter, web, facebook, I downloaded foursquare, camera, Google Talk, few SMS today. However my up timeis now at 48 hours, my awake time is also the same as my up time.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Whoops. My bad.
    15 hours with some change. :-)

This is good.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Same here. Took it off the charger at 845 this morning and here it is 1145pm and I'm at 29% and I'm actively trying to run the battery down now. I've found every excuse to use my Evo today, including 3 short video chats, video recording, layers, sky maps, about 20 or 30 text messages, about 5 emails, 3 or 4 mms's, downloaded about 10 apps, hq YouTube vids, and a whole lot (hours) of web browsing. Most of the day on w fi, but when I left the house I used 4g, this thing won't die!

I have the "LED light" widget on one of my screens and it works fine. Quick access to a bright light with one tap if you NEED it, but not something I would use regularly. The lights aren't meant for that. I'd be pretty mad if I burned one or both of those little lights out. I keep a cheap little LED light on my keys too, they're cheaper to replace and provide just as much light.

how do you check the battery percentage? do you need an app for it?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by charles87k View Post
    I just got Battery Widget by Mippin from the App Marketplace.
    It's very useful. I just place the widget on the homescreen with all my settings (4g/wifi/airplane mode/etc).

Thanks for the LED Light app... It's very useful. Been wanting something since the Flashlight App because it was one of the first apps for the Pre.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by charles87k View Post
    I use mini info which I first found out by turbodude so I decided to give the app a try. It tells me the precentage and how much space is left on both the device and mini SD.
    Thanked by:

thanks guys.. I'll check both out and see which one I like better.

Here's my $0.02

Day 1 and 2: I had Advanced Task Killer running because I thought killing apps would save me battery - WRONG.

Day 3 and 4 (yesterday and today): Went 100% stock and both days got better than 15hrs.

HERE'S HOW::::

Homescreen-->Menu-->Settings-->Accounts and Sync-->

1. Facebook: Turned OFF Live Feed Sync. Left ON contacts (this is where the new pics come from for your contacts)...Change frequency to once per day

2. Flickr - turned off sync

3. Google - don't touch it

4. News - Off

5. Stocks - Off

6. Weather - sync every 3 hrs

Facebook is the power *****!!! Turn off those live feed updates and you'll get a ton more life.

This by no means affects the way any of these apps work when you just open them. For example, I still read the news each day. Open News-->Menu-->Sync. 3 seconds later, it's updated. It allows me to make apps only use data when I say so.

Other settings:

GPS off unless I'm using is, AND OUTSIDE. If you're in an office all day, the apps preference the GPS if it is on...but in a building the GPS can't find you, so it tries and tries and tries, eating your battery while you sit at your desk. GPS needs sky-line-of-sight.

4G and WiFi off unless I'm using them. Takes 5 seconds to re-enable them.

Screen brightness at 25%.

I'm a moderate to heavy user and I still squeeze more than enough power out of my Evo in a day. I assure you that Facebook is the sucker. You don't need to kill the other apps running (remember I'm all stock on these results). After reading that extensive article about how Android handles apps in the background I decided to trust them (Google/HTC/Sprint). My theory is with a Killer, you burn way more battery because the stock apps continually reboot themselves after they get killed. The rebooting is likely more power-using than sitting idle.

For all the haters and skeptics....here's a screenshot from yesterday. Daily activities included: 5 phone calls totaling just over an hour of talk time, lots of texts, I only emailed from my phone rather than on my PC for the whole day...probably 12 emails, Google maps with streetview (data hungry), Google Earth (data hungry), Facebook (via the android app...I'm not a huge Friendstream fan), Downloaded 4 new apps from the Market, barcode scanned 5 things, took 4 pics, ran 4G and played 4 HC youtube vids, listened to music (MP3) for about 1 hr with headphones...and a few other very minor things. Besides the YouTube HC I used 3G the entire time. I know 4G is energy-hungry so I save it for when I really need it.

Change your settings and see how you do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14+ hours with light/moderate usage... still going.-snap20100606_235615.jpg  
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by DocPeanut View Post
    Silly question but where do you go to see the battery percentage? When I go to settings all I see is a status bar, no percentage. Thanks
    You pretty much have to download an app to see the precentages.

Yeah, personally I decided to ditch the task killer and just let the OS do its job, and I must say it worked wonders today. I unplugged my phone at around 8:55 this morning and am sitting on 20% charge left. I am very pleased. I did many of the tips that Jenn at goodandevo.com suggested to do.

Quote Originally Posted by darthstorm528 View Post
    You pretty much have to download an app to see the precentages.
    Homescreen-->Menu-->Settings-->(very bottom) About phone-->Battery.

No app needed.

I'm also pretty impressed with the battery life, 11:30 and down to 20% battery. Haven't used a task killer yet and don't think I'm going to need it. I left a lot of updates running, most I don't check, so tomorrow I'll turn em off and see where I'm at.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    Here's my $0.02

Day 1 and 2: I had Advanced Task Killer running because I thought killing apps would save me battery - WRONG.

Day 3 and 4 (yesterday and today): Went 100% stock and both days got better than 15hrs.

Yeah... I'm not killing apps anymore manually.
    I do have Open Advanced Task Killer ... ongoing.

I'm going to let it do its job. I used to kill apps and I realized it makes my phone do "force close" on everything and lots of other bugs.

So I'm going to let the app do its job. I might just delete the app.... depending on how things go.

Global Posts
    1,439 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just set my EVO to turtle3's settings because I went from full to 20% with not particularly heavy use and that just doesn't work for me. Your suspicions about Facebook being a power sucker are probably right because while they were trying to work the kinks out of the Pre version, it slaughtered my battery life from what I was used to; it was so obviously to blame because it was the only change from when the battery lasted. What blows is that the current versions of the Facebook are puny compared to what the iPhone reportedly has and what the Pre had. Someone at FB needs to stop selling our private data for a while and code up a decent 'droid client. Chop chop!
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

ROM
    clean rom ics

Mine does it too. I take it off the charger, I am down to 98%, but it startes to rocks out at about half. I guess that would be 50%. Methinks it is a small glitch with how the battery is read.
    If you build a man a fire, he will be warm for the day. If you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

I'm getting about 10-12 hours too, with moderate usage. Maybe about 6 with moderate/heavy use. Great battery life.

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    Here's my $0.02

HERE'S HOW::::

Homescreen-->Menu-->Settings-->Accounts and Sync-->

1. Facebook: Turned OFF Live Feed Sync. Left ON contacts (this is where the new pics come from for your contacts)...Change frequency to once per day

2. Flickr - turned off sync

3. Google - don't touch it

4. News - Off

5. Stocks - Off

6. Weather - sync every 3 hrs

Facebook is the power *****!!! Turn off those live feed updates and you'll get a ton more life.

This by no means affects the way any of these apps work when you just open them. For example, I still read the news each day. Open News-->Menu-->Sync. 3 seconds later, it's updated. It allows me to make apps only use data when I say so.

Other settings:

GPS off unless I'm using is, AND OUTSIDE. If you're in an office all day, the apps preference the GPS if it is on...but in a building the GPS can't find you, so it tries and tries and tries, eating your battery while you sit at your desk. GPS needs sky-line-of-sight.

4G and WiFi off unless I'm using them. Takes 5 seconds to re-enable them.

Screen brightness at 25%.

I'm a moderate to heavy user and I still squeeze more than enough power out of my Evo in a day. I assure you that Facebook is the sucker. You don't need to kill the other apps running (remember I'm all stock on these results). After reading that extensive article about how Android handles apps in the background I decided to trust them (Google/HTC/Sprint). My theory is with a Killer, you burn way more battery because the stock apps continually reboot themselves after they get killed. The rebooting is likely more power-using than sitting idle.

For all the haters and skeptics....here's a screenshot from yesterday. Daily activities included: 5 phone calls totaling just over an hour of talk time, lots of texts, I only emailed from my phone rather than on my PC for the whole day...probably 12 emails, Google maps with streetview (data hungry), Google Earth (data hungry), Facebook (via the android app...I'm not a huge Friendstream fan), Downloaded 4 new apps from the Market, barcode scanned 5 things, took 4 pics, ran 4G and played 4 HC youtube vids, listened to music (MP3) for about 1 hr with headphones...and a few other very minor things. Besides the YouTube HC I used 3G the entire time. I know 4G is energy-hungry so I save it for when I really need it.

what's android system. mines alwayz on 80% or higher

Global Posts
    1,225 Global Posts

I'm at about 16 hours with moderate use and I'm at 7%. Gmail and Exchange going all day, facebook live syncing, quite a few texts, over an hour of actual talking, lots of web surfing, a little qik. Pretty damn good coming from the Pre.

Well I just woke up and checked my Evos battery level and its at 7% after taking it off of the charger 8:45am central time yesterday. I wrote this post with my Evo 4G.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

The best light in my opinion is the one over on XDA in the hero section i think. It's called Beam Widget. It gives an official looking Torch widget that turns the flash LEDs on.

check out "Battery Life" Widget.

nobody should be exchanging their evo yet because of short battery because the nexus and incredible both took at least a full week, 7 days, for the battery to not die in a few hours. once the battery levels out, then you get a true idea of if its good or bad.

my new nexus it would die after only a few hours. now i can easily go 12 hours or more. it took a week or so.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    nobody should be exchanging their evo yet because of short battery because the nexus and incredible both took at least a full week, 7 days, for the battery to not die in a few hours. once the battery levels out, then you get a true idea of if its good or bad.

my new nexus it would die after only a few hours. now i can easily go 12 hours or more. it took a week or so.
    Thanks for that confirmation. Coming from the pre, this battery is a lifesaver.
    It's almost been a week. My Evo is great already.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast