1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default Video format other than 3gp

Is there a way to record videos in a format other than 3gp? Its obnoxious because when I send the videos to my friends/family, unless their running VLC , or are savvy enough to have installed that particular codec (which will never be the case for my parents) they can't play them. A simple mp4 h.264 encoding would be preferable.

According to the stats for the phone,
    Videos can be recorded in either H.263 or MPEG-4 format, and when using the main camera, you can even record 720p [1280 x 720] High-Definition video.
    So, there should be a way to do MPEG-4's. I don't have my Evo yet, so I can't advice... just letting you know that there should be a way.

Default 3gp is the video container format...no way to change it.

At least, i don't think there is a way to change it...

do a google search for 3gp and it will have a full explanation.
    But basically its a file extension.

What Braaainz is referring to is the encoding format. which is how the video is stored within the file itself.
    Basically the encoding format is a compression algorithm for the video image itself.
    Which can be changed in camera application if you click on the menu button and change the mode to Video. and then click on settings. There is a Encoding type section where you can change it from mp4 to H.263.

odd tho, 3gp should play in windows media player...they might need to upgrade to the latest version (or manually download the codec for it).
    Last edited by pcutler; 06-08-2010 at 10:13 AM.