The touchscreen issue (affects all EVOs?)

Do you have the described touchscreen issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Curious as to how many other people are having this problem.

Basically, when on certain surfaces, or indeed even when holding the phone in certain ways, the EVO's top half of the screen will become insensitive to touch.

Best way I've found to make this happen reliably is to sit it on some fabric/clothing, like a sock. The pants you're wearing will not work, it has to be something not on your person.

More interestingly, is I found if I put my finger JUST on the kickstand, nothing else touching the phone, while it's on said sock, it will immediately work again.

So, any of you have this issue?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My first instinct says it may be a problem with the proximity sensor, have you tried a factory reset?

Have you tried replicating what I described? I'm willing to bet this is not a one-off problem (although it'd be nice if it is so I can have it replaced).

Not an issue with the proximity sensor, it has nothing to do with it. Doesn't matter how far away I am, issue will be the same.

anon(21601)

May 12, 2010
Visit site
When my Evo's on my calendar (large paper type) or when I have it laying on a microfiber cloth the top quarter of the screen is unresponsive. It annoys me, but it's something I can live with.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have my phone laying down on the desk and am able to use the entire touch screen. On my lap as well and on the desk with the kick stand. I then tried it on a stack of papers on my desk and it works as well.

I say the proximity sensor b/c something about it has the ability to turn touch off on your phone, maybe it's misfiring for some reason.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow thats weird... I would of never known about this issue if you didnt point it out... I just put down my Micro fiber cloth and tried... its unresponsive for a few tries then becomes responsive... Its a Non Issue for me... I have no reason to have it on Fabric at all times... but interesting...

dolomatt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It does it on my desk in addition to other surfaces. I hope it was just a bad batch of screens. What would be the best way to report this to HTC/Sprint?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
By the way, I took this into Sprint and demonstrated it, they sort of looked at me like I was crazy. Their answer was "Don't put it on those sort of staticy surfaces then". Sigh.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
How's the humidity where you guys are? Does it only happen in one place or like say at home and at work?

I'm just trying to see if it's the environment or the phone.

It sounds like something, either the phone or externally, is holding energy somewhere and is either tripping the proximity sensor and disabling the touch screen (only part of it, if that's even possible) or disabling the touch screen interdependently of the proximity sensor, or interfering with the touch screen when you try to use it. But whenever a ground is applied (a charger, or grounding the chassis via the kick stand to your body) the problem goes away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo