1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Orientation issues?!?!

Hey guys, this is my first time posting but have been keeping up for a while. I was just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the EVO changing orientation on you when you rotate the phone?

Me and one of my co-works both have the phone and mine is having no problems at all, and the other one isn't switching the orientation during messages or phone pages or anything, and the only difference between the two phones is the other one has a screen protector on the phone, so i am guessing that a screen protector might be causing some sort of issue with the orientation flipping, is this possible you think?

And yes both phones have the orientation option in "sound & display" checked.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Also sorry ahead of time for the ?!?! use to it when sending text messages, tried to edit it but don't know if i can edit the title.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Try going to settings > Sound & Display > G-Sensor calibration (all the way at the bottom), and doing a calibration.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Are you both turning it 90 degrees counter-clockwise? It seems that Android only supports orientation changes of 90 degrees counter-clockwise, at least for now (changing in 2.2). I am new to Android so this was a bit surprising to me.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah i tried the G-Sensor calibration on the phone and i have also tried turning both phones all ways. I was told that it works every now and then but when i was messing with it, it did not turn at all for me, while mine turns just fine.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Also another question, with the G-Sensor calibration, you know how it tells you lay your phone flat to calibrate it but if you lay the phone flat the camera keeps it on a slight angle, you notice that?

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dougE2483 View Post
    Yeah i tried the G-Sensor calibration on the phone and i have also tried turning both phones all ways. I was told that it works every now and then but when i was messing with it, it did not turn at all for me, while mine turns just fine.
    That's no good. Other than trying a hard reset I'm not sure what else you can do. If a hard reset won't fix it I'd have your friend get it exchanged.

I did the same calibration thing but you have to lay it flat . Then it works perfectly
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yeah they are going to be taking it to there local sprint store to speak to them about it.

thats funny cause the evo i played with at the sprint store would not rotate the screen no matter what i did. i was using the web browser, and i thought i was just crazy, but couldnt get it to rotate no matter what settings i tried. maybe there is a bad batch? this was in socal.

Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You can turn the rotation on and off under Settings > Sound & Display > Orientation.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

g/f fone is having the same issue--the orientation has suddently stopped working since yesterday. I have checked & unchecked the orientation multiple times but there is no luck so far. Resitting the battery offered no help so I might have to try a cold RESET. I hope Google or Sprint is reading this. Mine is working just fine.

UPDATE: Brought the fone back to Sprint store and they did a hard reset. That fixed the orientation problem. Hard reset will wipe out everything on the fone including the contact list. They restored the contact list back afterward.
    Last edited by Evil_Evo; 06-10-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Great tip about laying the phone flat. I was trying to calibrate the phone with the phone on it's side and it was screwing things up. Once I lay the phone flat on it's back on a table it calibrated the phone perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
    thats funny cause the evo i played with at the sprint store would not rotate the screen no matter what i did.
    ditto

The one at sprint store probably had the orientation option set to off which is dumb because its a feature people want to experience. Also the g-sensor calibration is a great tip if mine ever gets laggy or less sensitive to orientation changes.
    gut

My orientation automatically switched when the phone rotated just like I expected initially. Now it will not change orientation. The orientation switch is on and I rechecked the calibration. There was an initial update to download, which I did not do immediately, but I didn't notice if the orientation stopped after that download. I am not excited about having to do a hard reset. Any other solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by texasrealtor View Post
    Great tip about laying the phone flat. I was trying to calibrate the phone with the phone on it's side and it was screwing things up. Once I lay the phone flat on it's back on a table it calibrated the phone perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.

AHHH, was gona start a new thread about this problem but then read this....
    My phone totally STOPPED auto-flipping but then I tried this laying FLAT ON BACK with the camera lens hanging off the edge of the table, calibrated and it works FACTORY FINE again.... THNX