For those with button backlight bleed

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For those with button backlight bleed/adhesive issue

I noticed today if I push down a little on the bottom of my front glass, the bottom backlight bleed goes away. It seems it's not flush like the top of the screen. I did a little searching and found this tear down of the Evo.

HTC Evo 4G Teardown - iFixit

It seems the glass is glued around the edges. Most likely some units didn't get the proper amount of glue, hence the backlight bleed. This would explain why some people have it (like me) and some don't. Does anyone know what kind of glue HTC is using?

fVNSyTULcCwx65Ul.huge

Last edited:

Dave650

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
lol, that picture is exactly what made me start to think it was the adhesive

taking my phone to a sprint store that does repairs,seems easy enough to take pry the screen off, and they should have some adhesive

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
lol, that picture is exactly what made me start to think it was the adhesive

taking my phone to a sprint store that does repairs,seems easy enough to take pry the screen off, and they should have some adhesive

I'm most likely going to do an exchange before my 30 day window is up. I figure this might be useful info for the dyi crowd bold enough to take apart a new device. If my exchange does the same thing then I might go the dyi route.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
There's a fix going around not requiring you to assassinate the phone as your picture suggests (you should be arrested for that). It's something to do with caulk. Do a search, wasn't discussed long ago.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
yes, everyone who is complaining about the light needs to see the actual problem, the screen not being secured.

don't treat the symptom, treat the core cause

I'm going to contact HTC about the issue. Maybe they can address it by modifying the production process.

dpg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
thats what repair centers are for, just have them do the repair for you while its still under warranty

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Ive already called Best Buy and am going to do an exchange. Brand new phone shouldnt do this. Now I just have to wait for them to get some in stock.

Dave650

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ive already called Best Buy and am going to do an exchange. Brand new phone shouldnt do this. Now I just have to wait for them to get some in stock.

I've decided to try to get it repaired

so many people mentioning the light bleed, seems to me a pretty decent chance the one I would exchange for would have the same issue

oh well, I'll find out what the sprint store says in a half hour, have my appointment then for "phone repair" lol

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I can press down on the glass at the virtual buttons and it seems to depress a little. I also have light bleed and I am also having a problem with the top 1/2" of the screen not recognizing touch inputs when on a flat surface, but it works fine when I hold it.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site

The problem is that there is no guarantee that the next device will be "fixed". And one thing is for sure, they're not going to let you keep opening boxes until you find one that isn't. Especially with this much demand and especially with it being Best Buy. If anything, they might give you someone's return. =/

I'd play it safe and just try the link that he posted. Not the surgical one, but the simple fix.

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that there is no guarantee that the next device will be "fixed". And one thing is for sure, they're not going to let you keep opening boxes until you find one that isn't. Especially with this much demand and especially with it being Best Buy. If anything, they might give you someone's return. =/

I'd play it safe and just try the link that he posted. Not the surgical one, but the simple fix.

That's not fixing the real problem. The glass is rising up because the adhesive isn't applied properly.

1262d1275977667-anyone-else-not-having-light-leakage-capacitive-buttons-nolight2.jpg

Caulking is only masking the light leakage. Wait until these sit in pockets for awhile and dust gets behind the glass. I'm sitting on hold with HTC now. It's been 25 minutes so far....

Last edited:

auburnmk

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Agrees, just wonder if Sprint Service Centers will even acknowledge this issue and fix it rather than "It's supposed to do that"....:cool:

That's not fixing the real problem. The glass is rising up because the adhesive isn't applied properly.

1262d1275977667-anyone-else-not-having-light-leakage-capacitive-buttons-nolight2.jpg

Caulking is only masking the light leakage. Wait until these sit in pockets for awhile and dust gets behind the glass. I'm sitting on hold with HTC now. It's been 25 minutes so far....

bpmurr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I just finished logging a call with HTC support. I suggest anyone having this issue do the same or they won't understand the scope of this issue. They are getting hammered at the moment as it took over a 1/2 hr. to get a live voice. The gentlemen I dealt with was great and cared about the issue.

Agrees, just wonder if Sprint Service Centers will even acknowledge this issue and fix it rather than "It's supposed to do that"....:cool:

Who knows, I'm sure some will do the "It's supposed to do that". Each center is only going to be as good as the quality of their personnel.

Last edited:

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just finished logging a call with HTC support. I suggest anyone having this issue do the same or they won't understand the scope of this issue. They are getting hammered at the moment as it took over a 1/2 hr. to get a live voice. The gentlemen I dealt with was great and cared about the issue.

So what was the end result of your discussion? I can attest to the fact that this issue deals entirely with adhesive as my phone didn't have any backlight bleed as of the first day, but after a few days of solid use in a hot climate, I can now see the seam.

Again, burned as an early adopter...

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't even notice the bleed for the first couple of days because I thought people were talking about "flashlighting" (i.e. when the backlight shines up into the panel area in visible cones of lighter area) and not down at the seam. I had small spots that I'd thought were specular highlights under the Home and Search buttons; no biggie. After seeing this, I pressed down on the glass above those spots and it appears to have sealed off and there's no light leakage. When I put a case on it, they'll be hidden anyway.

The level of hysteria over this reminds me of the terrified screams that the Pre's keybaord was a lethal Ginsu that could cut cheese. People screamed that they had defective units and wouldn't rest until they were given brand new units personally prepped by the Dali Lama and the ghost of Salvador Dali. Pffft. I just rubbed my thumbnail over the edge for a minute and it dulled the edge nicely and it wasn't a problem afterwards. No hysterics; just problem solving. Try pressing down the glass first.

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I didn't even notice the bleed for the first couple of days because I thought people were talking about "flashlighting" (i.e. when the backlight shines up into the panel area in visible cones of lighter area) and not down at the seam. I had small spots that I'd thought were specular highlights under the Home and Search buttons; no biggie. After seeing this, I pressed down on the glass above those spots and it appears to have sealed off and there's no light leakage. When I put a case on it, they'll be hidden anyway.

The level of hysteria over this reminds me of the terrified screams that the Pre's keybaord was a lethal Ginsu that could cut cheese. People screamed that they had defective units and wouldn't rest until they were given brand new units personally prepped by the Dali Lama and the ghost of Salvador Dali. Pffft. I just rubbed my thumbnail over the edge for a minute and it dulled the edge nicely and it wasn't a problem afterwards. No hysterics; just problem solving. Try pressing down the glass first.

This fix works for 5 minutes until the glue gives. Then, you got light leak again. My fear, probably shared by some, is that if we are talking glue, then it could progressively get worse. I know that I didn't notice the "problem" on mine til a few days later.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante