Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Default For those with button backlight bleed/adhesive issue

I noticed today if I push down a little on the bottom of my front glass, the bottom backlight bleed goes away. It seems it's not flush like the top of the screen. I did a little searching and found this tear down of the Evo.

HTC Evo 4G Teardown - iFixit

It seems the glass is glued around the edges. Most likely some units didn't get the proper amount of glue, hence the backlight bleed. This would explain why some people have it (like me) and some don't. Does anyone know what kind of glue HTC is using?

Last edited by bpmurr; 06-08-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Thanked by:

lol, that picture is exactly what made me start to think it was the adhesive

taking my phone to a sprint store that does repairs,seems easy enough to take pry the screen off, and they should have some adhesive
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave650 View Post
    lol, that picture is exactly what made me start to think it was the adhesive

taking my phone to a sprint store that does repairs,seems easy enough to take pry the screen off, and they should have some adhesive
    I'm most likely going to do an exchange before my 30 day window is up. I figure this might be useful info for the dyi crowd bold enough to take apart a new device. If my exchange does the same thing then I might go the dyi route.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

There's a fix going around not requiring you to assassinate the phone as your picture suggests (you should be arrested for that). It's something to do with caulk. Do a search, wasn't discussed long ago.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    There's a fix going around not requiring you to assassinate the phone as your picture suggests (you should be arrested for that). It's something to do with caulk. Do a search, wasn't discussed long ago.
    I found the post.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...tml#post151455

However, the problem is the glass is rising up. That can lead to more problems down the road (dust behind the screen) and should be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    I found the post.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...tml#post151455

However, the problem is the glass is rising up. That can lead to more problems down the road and should be addressed.
    yes, everyone who is complaining about the light needs to see the actual problem, the screen not being secured.

don't treat the symptom, treat the core cause
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave650 View Post
    yes, everyone who is complaining about the light needs to see the actual problem, the screen not being secured.

don't treat the symptom, treat the core cause
    I'm going to contact HTC about the issue. Maybe they can address it by modifying the production process.

thats what repair centers are for, just have them do the repair for you while its still under warranty

Ive already called Best Buy and am going to do an exchange. Brand new phone shouldnt do this. Now I just have to wait for them to get some in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduffer View Post
    Ive already called Best Buy and am going to do an exchange. Brand new phone shouldnt do this. Now I just have to wait for them to get some in stock.
    I've decided to try to get it repaired

so many people mentioning the light bleed, seems to me a pretty decent chance the one I would exchange for would have the same issue

oh well, I'll find out what the sprint store says in a half hour, have my appointment then for "phone repair" lol

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

I can press down on the glass at the virtual buttons and it seems to depress a little. I also have light bleed and I am also having a problem with the top 1/2" of the screen not recognizing touch inputs when on a flat surface, but it works fine when I hold it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I submitted this thread to Engadget and Gizmodo.
    Last edited by bpmurr; 06-08-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcduffer View Post
    The problem is that there is no guarantee that the next device will be "fixed". And one thing is for sure, they're not going to let you keep opening boxes until you find one that isn't. Especially with this much demand and especially with it being Best Buy. If anything, they might give you someone's return. =/

I'd play it safe and just try the link that he posted. Not the surgical one, but the simple fix.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    The problem is that there is no guarantee that the next device will be "fixed". And one thing is for sure, they're not going to let you keep opening boxes until you find one that isn't. Especially with this much demand and especially with it being Best Buy. If anything, they might give you someone's return. =/

I'd play it safe and just try the link that he posted. Not the surgical one, but the simple fix.
    That's not fixing the real problem. The glass is rising up because the adhesive isn't applied properly.

Caulking is only masking the light leakage. Wait until these sit in pockets for awhile and dust gets behind the glass. I'm sitting on hold with HTC now. It's been 25 minutes so far....
    Last edited by bpmurr; 06-08-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Agrees, just wonder if Sprint Service Centers will even acknowledge this issue and fix it rather than "It's supposed to do that"....

That's not fixing the real problem. The glass is rising up because the adhesive isn't applied properly.

Caulking is only masking the light leakage. Wait until these sit in pockets for awhile and dust gets behind the glass. I'm sitting on hold with HTC now. It's been 25 minutes so far....
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I just finished logging a call with HTC support. I suggest anyone having this issue do the same or they won't understand the scope of this issue. They are getting hammered at the moment as it took over a 1/2 hr. to get a live voice. The gentlemen I dealt with was great and cared about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by auburnmk View Post
    Agrees, just wonder if Sprint Service Centers will even acknowledge this issue and fix it rather than "It's supposed to do that"....
    Who knows, I'm sure some will do the "It's supposed to do that". Each center is only going to be as good as the quality of their personnel.
    Last edited by bpmurr; 06-08-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

I just finished logging a call with HTC support. I suggest anyone having this issue do the same or they won't understand the scope of this issue. They are getting hammered at the moment as it took over a 1/2 hr. to get a live voice. The gentlemen I dealt with was great and cared about the issue.
    So what was the end result of your discussion? I can attest to the fact that this issue deals entirely with adhesive as my phone didn't have any backlight bleed as of the first day, but after a few days of solid use in a hot climate, I can now see the seam.

Again, burned as an early adopter...

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I didn't even notice the bleed for the first couple of days because I thought people were talking about "flashlighting" (i.e. when the backlight shines up into the panel area in visible cones of lighter area) and not down at the seam. I had small spots that I'd thought were specular highlights under the Home and Search buttons; no biggie. After seeing this, I pressed down on the glass above those spots and it appears to have sealed off and there's no light leakage. When I put a case on it, they'll be hidden anyway.

The level of hysteria over this reminds me of the terrified screams that the Pre's keybaord was a lethal Ginsu that could cut cheese. People screamed that they had defective units and wouldn't rest until they were given brand new units personally prepped by the Dali Lama and the ghost of Salvador Dali. Pffft. I just rubbed my thumbnail over the edge for a minute and it dulled the edge nicely and it wasn't a problem afterwards. No hysterics; just problem solving. Try pressing down the glass first.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    I didn't even notice the bleed for the first couple of days because I thought people were talking about "flashlighting" (i.e. when the backlight shines up into the panel area in visible cones of lighter area) and not down at the seam. I had small spots that I'd thought were specular highlights under the Home and Search buttons; no biggie. After seeing this, I pressed down on the glass above those spots and it appears to have sealed off and there's no light leakage. When I put a case on it, they'll be hidden anyway.

The level of hysteria over this reminds me of the terrified screams that the Pre's keybaord was a lethal Ginsu that could cut cheese. People screamed that they had defective units and wouldn't rest until they were given brand new units personally prepped by the Dali Lama and the ghost of Salvador Dali. Pffft. I just rubbed my thumbnail over the edge for a minute and it dulled the edge nicely and it wasn't a problem afterwards. No hysterics; just problem solving. Try pressing down the glass first.
    This fix works for 5 minutes until the glue gives. Then, you got light leak again. My fear, probably shared by some, is that if we are talking glue, then it could progressively get worse. I know that I didn't notice the "problem" on mine til a few days later.

my phone has this issue... hopefully it won't get worse. if it does, i'll use my sprint TEP

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skullsdontfade View Post
    my phone has this issue... hopefully it won't get worse. if it does, i'll use my sprint TEP
    Bingo. I've gotten wrapped up with stuff like this in the past and it just is a waste of time and energy. Taking on stress due to a tiny production flaw just seems silly. I'm really trying to ignore it this time which is another reason I got TEP for the first time. No deductible for manufacturing defects either!

Quote Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post
    Bingo. I've gotten wrapped up with stuff like this in the past and it just is a waste of time and energy. Taking on stress due to a tiny production flaw just seems silly. I'm really trying to ignore it this time which is another reason I got TEP for the first time. No deductible for manufacturing defects either!
    i didn't know that there was no deductible for man. defects. that's good news. it makes sense, but i figured they'd get you for your bucks one way or the other.

i believe it could become a big issue. until then, i'll just keep an eye on it.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

So what was the end result of your discussion? I can attest to the fact that this issue deals entirely with adhesive as my phone didn't have any backlight bleed as of the first day, but after a few days of solid use in a hot climate, I can now see the seam.

Again, burned as an early adopter...
    The department that can authorize an exchange wasn't open at the time I made the call. The gentlmen I talked to logged the issue and asked people to call if they have the same problem. They won't act unless the issue is brought up by more then just one person.

While it's not the end of the world. It's an issue that should get addressed. If the adhesive is already failing it's only a matter of time for it to get worse. The people will start complaining about dust and moisture getting in. A few minutes to make a call to HTC goes a long way.
    Last edited by bpmurr; 06-09-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

The department that can authorize an exchange wasn't open at the time I made the call. The gentlmen I talked to logged the issue and asked people to call if they have the same problem. They won't act unless the issue is brought up by more then just one person.

While it's not the end of the world. It's an issue that should get addressed. If the adhesive is already failing it's only a matter of time for it to get worse. The people will start complaining about dust and moisture getting in. A few minutes to make a call to HTC goes a long way.
    I'm on board with this, and I'll try to call either over lunch or this evening after work. Like you said, if we're talking about adhesive, HTC needs to get on it. Until then, it is pointless to swap units [at least in my opinion].

I called HTC tech support, I have the issue where the backlight is bleeding onto the screen and showing white streaks. Extremely noticeable on a white background (google.com). They basically told me to take it to a Sprint store and they could exchange it. He didn't really seem that concerned.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast